follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
Whodunit

Drives: White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Honestly how is the manual gearbox in comparison to the other options?

No better people to ask than people who drive it daily. (or close to)

Looking for your opinion on how the manual gearbox feels compared to the other great boxes out there. In smoothness, any notchy stuff ever, performance in high revs, you get that point.... I'm in the market and this is important to me.

Better/worse?

Thanks everyone.
Whodunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:51 PM   #2
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The only other manual ive driven are the Ford fiesta and 14 wrx hatch.

The wrx gear box was utter shit. Long throws, notchy, ugh.
I love our gear box when it's warmed up.
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:55 PM   #3
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
I can talk on and on about how much I love how the shifts feel and how distinct the gearbox feels.

It's not a smooth gearbox which is a good thing.

Every shift has feedback. Feedback is the key word. When you put it into gear you are rewarded with a clunk that represents the rawness and precision of the shifter. I shift at 3000 RPM on my commutes and it's fantastic.

In higher revs at about 5000 RPM+ you get less feedback but in return you get buttery smooth shifts. It's smoothness is progressive relative to the engine speed. This is what makes daily driving the manual so much fun. The clicking into gear at low speeds/RPM is so rewarding and satisfying, and the confidence you have knowing the shift lever has clicked in gear makes you as the driver so much more involved which in turn makes it so much fun.

Don't get me wrong, I have driven the new WRX and the new STI as well as the MK7 Golf GTI and a few commuter cars like the Scion iM and Mazda3.

The WRX has a lazy-feeling shifter and I'm disappointed with the long throws and uninspiring spacing. The WRX STI is essentially the same but feels more springy and smoother operation when transitioning into a gear but it doesn't have the "click" that I'm used to in the BRZ. The GTI would be my definition of a smooth gearbox and while it is still a lot of fun to drive, there is less connection felt to the car because of how smooth it is. I felt the same way about the Mazda3 which felt too smooth too me and not enough feedback and the Scion iM was just a terrible detached feeling.

The BRZ's shift feel has set the bar for me as the most enjoyable manual car to shift with. I haven't driven cars like the S2000 (which I hear is supposedly a better feeling stick shift) but the notchy clicking gears truly contributes to the BRZ's character as an enjoyable driver's car.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:56 PM   #4
Whodunit

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyricecake View Post
The only other manual ive driven are the Ford fiesta and 14 wrx hatch.

The wrx gear box was utter shit. Long throws, notchy, ugh.
I love our gear box when it's warmed up.
I agree and I don't like the gearbox on the wrx.

This is cliche to some but the s2000 is close to the benchmark of what they should be, so I'm wondering how the twins compare to something like that. As objective as possible. No hate for the twins intended at all fellas. Doing some research for buying this spring.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #5
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
It's not as smooth as a VAG product, but it's more precise. It can be a little notchy when cold. You'll know when your transmission fluid is up to temp.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:58 PM   #6
Gaiakai

Drives: '21 Civic Type R
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
IMO it's not at the level of the NSX or S2000, but it's better than my Cayman's sport shifter. My previous BRZ's shifter felt like flipping a light switch - quick, short, precise - compared to the Cayman's where it feels like you're dragging a stick through mud - although the throws are short, it's not as smooth. S2000's shifter is still the best I've ever driven though.

From my experience with the BRZ, 2nd gear doesn't like to be rushed. Also it may just be my technique (or lack thereof) but when I was driving, the shifts were only smooth at 3k RPM or higher. It's notchy going into first when cold, and it felt MILES better after changing out the fluid.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #7
Whodunit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiakai View Post
IMO it's not at the level of the NSX or S2000, but it's better than my Cayman's sport shifter. My previous BRZ's shifter felt like flipping a light switch - quick, short, precise - compared to the Cayman's where it feels like you're dragging a stick through mud - although the throws are short, it's not as smooth. S2000's shifter is still the best I've ever driven though.

From my experience with the BRZ, 2nd gear doesn't like to be rushed. Also it may just be my technique (or lack thereof) but when I was driving, the shifts were only smooth at 3k RPM or higher. It's notchy going into first when cold, and it felt MILES better after changing out the fluid.
Thanks for your insight.

What fluid did you go with?
Old 03-06-2016, 11:13 PM   #8
Gaiakai

Drives: '21 Civic Type R
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodunit View Post
Thanks for your insight.

What fluid did you go with?
I actually just went with OEM, since I wasn't planning on any track days immediately after the fluid flush. Still made quite a noticeable difference.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:00 AM   #9
rookie

Drives: 1991 Formula Red NSX
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
My RSX is buttery smooth and my 2nd gear grind isn't as bad as others. I prefer the RSX's smooth shifts while the BRZ's short throws in stock form is superior.

I've not changed out my transmission fluid in the BRZ and I expect it to smooth out some after I do this. A weighted shift knob will also help with the feel.
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:43 AM   #10
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodunit View Post
No better people to ask than people who drive it daily. (or close to)

Looking for your opinion on how the manual gearbox feels compared to the other great boxes out there. In smoothness, any notchy stuff ever, performance in high revs, you get that point.... I'm in the market and this is important to me.

Better/worse?

Thanks everyone.

Very subjective. I know a lot of people that love a cable driven FWD manual, and I think they're on crack. They'll use terms like "smooth" where I'll use "vague" and "squishy." Proper transmission is a bit notchy and lets you know what's going on.

I like the shifter a lot. It's somewhere between a Miata and my old '89 Turbo Supra (as is most of the car).

But as I said, it's subjective and up to personal preference.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
86kahl (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 12:50 AM   #11
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
BMW and Honda make better feeling manual gearboxes but this one isn't bad.
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #12
carma143

Drives: Toyota Highlander; Subaru BRZ (SWP)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I can't compare to other manual cars, but hearing the transmission make contact with the engine in a quiet place with the windows down is literally orgasmic.
The Following User Says Thank You to carma143 For This Useful Post:
rosol16 (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #13
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Cable driven 6 speed manual in a Porsche 996 vs direct linkage 6 speed manual in a BRZ is like comparing a CH Flightstick to a Thrustmaster.

I'm running Eneos Gear Oil and it's been trouble free for ~15000km and much smoother than stock Toyota gear oil especially for first and second gear. Gonna change the fluid again later this week.

Also running the STI short shifter with STI performance clutch disc and cover. My friend that drives a stock AP1 S2000 says my setup is very very close to his shifter in terms of feel.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
86kahl (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 06:32 PM   #14
Gear_One_Performance

Drives: 2014 BRZ SCCA STU endurance car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've driven Pretty much every Subaru manual including the new 15 wrx cable's, Nissan and ford "direct shift" boxes, couple of water and air cooled Porsches and I love the Subaru box. It has fantastic feel without being so notchy that you feel like you're hurting things when you shift hard.
Gear_One_Performance is offline   Reply With Quote