follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 02-22-2021, 09:29 AM   #2493
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,125 Times in 1,975 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Congrats on getting the build up and running. It seems there are only two options when building, unbelievably smooth or days of troubleshooting.

Yea, that's why I buy all the critical components locally, even if I have to pay a little more. Fortunately, I have access to both MicroCenter and Frys, plus a number of local shops still open (although they aren't as go-to as they used to be). That way, I know I'm quick drive back if something seems amiss.

I realize not everyone has that option though.

Thanks! I was lucky to have gotten 2 CPUs by mistake, as you may know on how hard is to get Ryzen 5 5600X. My local Best Buy is about 20 mins away from the house so getting RAMs was easy. Just like the car, learned a lot from this experience, will come in handy if I start building more PCs in the future. I'm just a bit unsure about messing with BIOS settings.
Dadhawk (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 11:57 AM   #2494
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Pro-Tip for anyone that doesn't do this already.
Bench test EVERYTHING before putting it in the case.
That includes OS install.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-22-2021), spcmafia (02-22-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 12:42 AM   #2495
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Congrats on getting the build up and running. It seems there are only two options when building, unbelievably smooth or days of troubleshooting.

Yea, that's why I buy all the critical components locally, even if I have to pay a little more. Fortunately, I have access to both MicroCenter and Frys, plus a number of local shops still open (although they aren't as go-to as they used to be). That way, I know I'm quick drive back if something seems amiss.

I realize not everyone has that option though.
is fry's starting to get back some inventory? most of last year at least, it was like visiting a bankruptcy sale...
Old 02-23-2021, 07:12 AM   #2496
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,897 Times in 11,357 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
is fry's starting to get back some inventory? most of last year at least, it was like visiting a bankruptcy sale...
Honestly, haven't been since COVID started. I did do a build in April of 2020 but all the parts came from MicroCenter.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-24-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 12:45 PM   #2497
brewloc

Drives: '20 86 MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
That is so true! Pre lock down the Fry's near me looked like a goodwill warehouse, the first 2 employees I asked about it were offended and acted like nothing was wrong? The next blamed Trump's asian embargos? The fourth finally said they were having supply/stock issues and online was the best place to get stuff.

This gives me a good reason to go check this week and see how they are doing.
brewloc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brewloc For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 08:53 AM   #2498
brewloc

Drives: '20 86 MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I won't get a chance to visit my local Fry's. Looks like they are shutting down all stores.

I did not have a fry's electronics in my state back in the day, so I had to use outpost dot com -- it still forwards, until tonight I guess. RIP
brewloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #2499
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewloc View Post
I won't get a chance to visit my local Fry's. Looks like they are shutting down all stores.
Well....that sucks and talk about late breaking news (it was just announced as we were talking about them yesterday).

I'll miss it. At one point we had two in the Atlanta area. One shut down about two years ago, ironically the one I thought was the busier of the two.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:23 PM   #2500
spcmafia

So I got the computer up and running, did some tweaking to the BIOS and what not, started playing Warzone. But there are some things that I feel are out of sync. For example, there's a VRAM bar in the settings menu that is set to about half the 6GB capability the NVIDIA 1660 Super can handle. To give this a little more perspective, I'm playing on a 4K TV with 60HZ refresh rate. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what settings would work best for the TV/GPU,CPU.
Another issue I'm finding is that the loot boxes, ammo, weapons have a sort of blue aura around them, and almost like they aren't rendering correctly. It looks like they have hundreds of blue ants crawling around them. The rest of the game/gameplay looks amazing. But I'm sure is just me doing something wrong on my settings. I'm trying to play on 1440 High settings which I'm confident the computer can handle.

Ryzen 5 5600 X
ASUS ROG strix B550-F
Corsair LPX 3600 32GB RAM
PNY Single Fan Geforce 1660 Super OC
Old 02-24-2021, 02:00 PM   #2501
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
I'm sure is just me doing something wrong on my settings. I'm trying to play on 1440 High settings which I'm confident the computer can handle.
If you're playing on a 4K TV at 1440 resolution you may be getting artifacts from the TVs scaling. Have you tried it at exactly the TVs resolution, or at 1920x1080 to see if they go away?

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 02:11 PM   #2502
spcmafia

Quote:
If you're playing on a 4K TV at 1440 resolution you may be getting artifacts from the TVs scaling. Have you tried it at exactly the TVs resolution, or at 1920x1080 to see if they go away?

I didn't think about that. I did try 1920x1080 but it blurs the image. Or maybe I selected the wrong resolution. I could play at 1080 ultra settings no problem. I could push it to 4K resolution, but with this card Is not really worth it since FPS would go down significantly.
Dadhawk (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 02:15 PM   #2503
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
I didn't think about that. I did try 1920x1080 but it blurs the image. Or maybe I selected the wrong resolution. I could play at 1080 ultra settings no problem. I could push it to 4K resolution, but with this card Is not really worth it since FPS would go down significantly.
Depending on the TV there may be a few adjustments you can do on it, but probably not a lot unless its a high end one. I'm surprised you get blur at 1920x1080, most 4Ks handle scaling that up fine since its a direct scale.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:23 PM   #2504
spcmafia

Quote:
Depending on the TV there may be a few adjustments you can do on it, but probably not a lot unless its a high end one. I'm surprised you get blur at 1920x1080, most 4Ks handle scaling that up fine since its a direct scale.

I also haven't messed much with the NVIDIA control panel, which I should probably do. As well as downloading Afterburner. But I'm just iffy about messing with such programs due to lack of experience.
Dadhawk (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 10:00 PM   #2505
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
That is so true! Pre lock down the Fry's near me looked like a goodwill warehouse, the first 2 employees I asked about it were offended and acted like nothing was wrong? The next blamed Trump's asian embargos? The fourth finally said they were having supply/stock issues and online was the best place to get stuff.

This gives me a good reason to go check this week and see how they are doing.
Quote:

I did not have a fry's electronics in my state back in the day, so I had to use outpost dot com -- it still forwards, until tonight I guess. RIP
Quote:
Well....that sucks and talk about late breaking news (it was just announced as we were talking about them yesterday).

I'll miss it. At one point we had two in the Atlanta area. One shut down about two years ago, ironically the one I thought was the busier of the two.
it is sad. first was radio shack, then tiger direct, now fry's...

i heard a rumor about a 1-2 years ago, they were attempting to move to a system where the brands they support would finance product stock and only get paid if the products sold. so fry's wouldn't need to purchase the product, and then sell the product. i guess contract negotiations didn't go the way they wanted.

ironic, when literally everyone is standing in line up to an hour at microcenter down the street right now to buy pc parts, that fry's couldn't work out the formula to make money. i really think they maintained too broad of an inventory...

Quote:
I also haven't messed much with the NVIDIA control panel, which I should probably do. As well as downloading Afterburner. But I'm just iffy about messing with such programs due to lack of experience.
don't. most of the graphics settings you ought to be able to tweak to correct the issues you're having ought to be in the game graphics options, likely related to the graphics engine nuances of that specific game on your specific hardware.

global tweaks like in the nvidia control panel or in afterburner have a tendency to make one game work perfect, and wreak havoc in another game. don't make global changes without understanding give and take it can do if you decide to play anything else on that pc.
Dadhawk (02-25-2021), spcmafia (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 06:40 AM   #2506
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Either play in windowed, or run at 4k.
I have yet to find anything other than those that will make the game look right.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-25-2021)

Tags
pc master race, u no have 3080