follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 12-11-2020, 10:01 PM   #2297
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Protip:
Don't do "The Ballad of Buck Ravers" until you have a large chunk of change. Or Quick-save before doing it so you can go back if you don't have enough money.. There is a person during the quest that sells some great stuff.
Problem is that he seems to disappear after the quest and you lose access to those items.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-12-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 10:08 PM   #2298
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
.....After the first 20 seconds of the battle, there is no real strategy, just run, shoot, shoot, run, etc. There's no valuable challenge in it and frankly it's boring, and not just a little boring, it's boring to the point that I've just gone to changing the difficulty level from the hardest level to "easy" just for these parts of the game to get past it, not because I couldn't grind it out, but because I don't want to do that.....
Same. Mini-games and mini-game/boss fights are awful. I wish game makers would just cut that out. I actually dread them.
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NWFRS For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 03:18 PM   #2299
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,896 Times in 11,357 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFRS View Post
Same. Mini-games and mini-game/boss fights are awful. I wish game makers would just cut that out. I actually dread them.
The gameplay should at least be consistent with the rest of the game. In AC:Odyssey if you are in a "normal" battle with overwhelming odds, you can use stealth, climb buildings hid in cover, attack from multiple angles, even call in help.

I've beaten level 99 opponents this way when I was level 50 on the hardest settings. It took time, planning and knowledge of my surroundings but its worth doing and I can do it without suffering one death.

Yet, here I am facing some big ass minotaur thing 3x my size in a pit of lava throwing lava balls at me and I apparently can't climb the walls and pummel him from above? Makes no sense.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:45 PM   #2300
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
What game are you describing here?

Quote:
Gaming rant of the day.

I'm tired of open world games that use arena type battles for major battles of the game (looking at you AC: Odyssey). It's one thing to have a roman-type arena for historical accuracy and as a place to make some quick money/caps/feathers/other currency, and have it be optional.

It's another to have major "boss" battles where this supposed great warrior who understands the value of stealth, intelligent fighting from cover, the courage to run away when it aids the battle, yet when the warrior is hunting down a massive beast or mythical creature is willing to stand in the middle of an empty field with no cover and just shoot a million arrows at a foe until they are dead, even though 2 feet away there is cover, or cliff walls to fight from, etc.

After the first 20 seconds of the battle, there is no real strategy, just run, shoot, shoot, run, etc. There's no valuable challenge in it and frankly it's boring, and not just a little boring, it's boring to the point that I've just gone to changing the difficulty level from the hardest level to "easy" just for these parts of the game to get past it, not because I couldn't grind it out, but because I don't want to do that.

OK, I'm done now. Thanks for listening.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:46 PM   #2301
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The gameplay should at least be consistent with the rest of the game. In AC:Odyssey if you are in a "normal" battle with overwhelming odds, you can use stealth, climb buildings hid in cover, attack from multiple angles, even call in help.

I've beaten level 99 opponents this way when I was level 50 on the hardest settings. It took time, planning and knowledge of my surroundings but its worth doing and I can do it without suffering one death.

Yet, here I am facing some big ass minotaur thing 3x my size in a pit of lava throwing lava balls at me and I apparently can't climb the walls and pummel him from above? Makes no sense.
You're not going to be okay with the future of gaming in general then. Big boss is most of future gaming is going to be. You can blame games like monster hunter and darksouls for bringing in that sort of popularity that is more than likely here to stay.

Me personally, I don't exactly have a problem with the big boss archetype, but it is getting a little over done with every single game incorporating it. Especially so many games now where the final story boss may as well just be a cinematic regardless of difficulty.

Mind you, I think DUELIST bosses and not arena big bosses are actually waaaaaaay better. When I say duelist, think of something very close to size of your character and rivaling in ability, but of course they have more. Those are much more enjoyable to me than big bosses, but I think this attributes somewhat to my strong preference for competitive pvp games as well. Love me a good ol 1v1.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:11 PM   #2302
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
You're not going to be okay with the future of gaming in general then. Big boss is most of future gaming is going to be. You can blame games like monster hunter and darksouls for bringing in that sort of popularity that is more than likely here to stay.....

,,,,,Mind you, I think DUELIST bosses and not arena big bosses are actually waaaaaaay better. When I say duelist, think of something very close to size of your character and rivaling in ability, but of course they have more. Those are much more enjoyable to me than big bosses, but I think this attributes somewhat to my strong preference for competitive pvp games as well. Love me a good ol 1v1.

Yea, I prefer what you describe, the DUELIST, as long as it isn't a restricted space and i can use the same skills I used throughout the game. I don't even mind the Big Boss, as long as I can attack him using the same skills and mobility I had in the rest of the game.

Old 12-12-2020, 05:12 PM   #2303
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
What game are you describing here?
Pretty much any open world game that uses a restricted "big boss" battle space, but this particular rant is aimed at AC: Odyssey.

Old 12-12-2020, 05:19 PM   #2304
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,303 Times in 4,116 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Good ol' internet has come to the rescue. I learnt about a second config file to alter. I now have all key bindings to my satisfaction. I actually got quite excited when trying out the game after configuring.

Here is what I don't understand. Given the relative ease in which the config files could be altered what's the rational behind the developer not making key bindings available in the settings menu? Why hard bind the F key but allow other keys to be re-mapped?
The rationale is beyond my understanding.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-14-2020), soundman98 (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 05:48 PM   #2305
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Good ol' internet has come to the rescue. I learnt about a second config file to alter. I now have all key bindings to my satisfaction. I actually got quite excited when trying out the game after configuring.

Here is what I don't understand. Given the relative ease in which the config files could be altered what's the rational behind the developer not making key bindings available in the settings menu? Why hard bind the F key but allow other keys to be re-mapped?
The rationale is beyond my understanding.
my layout is the best layout. why would you need any other layout?

[raises mouse with left hand]

how'd you flip your thumb to the other side of the mouse?
Old 12-12-2020, 06:19 PM   #2306
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Yea, I prefer what you describe, the DUELIST, as long as it isn't a restricted space and i can use the same skills I used throughout the game. I don't even mind the Big Boss, as long as I can attack him using the same skills and mobility I had in the rest of the game.
The space restriction is a hard point. In regards to only open world games, 'instanced' (phased/encounter) zones exist everywhere and range in complexity, especially for unique or boss encounters. If the boss was a part of the story, I can understand the limitation of not allowing the player to leave said instance until either winning or losing as that opens the door to tons of exploits.

One of the easy things to do in so many games is to abuse the barrier between encounter zone and safe zone, so many games, not even limited to open world, always seem to have this issue where you can literally stand right beside an enemy outside of the encounter zone and they won't attack you.

The restriction to your abilities on the other hand, is really just a pain point for players, makes no sense, and is a poor decision by developers. Why take away abilities if it's not a story driven handicap. I also have a gripe with getting your best ability for only the last boss of a game for it to never be used again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 07:43 AM   #2307
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

lolol
I have just discovered a stat of mine: I've played for 40 hours and completed 1.2% of the main story. lol

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-13-2020), soundman98 (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 10:04 PM   #2308
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
lolol
I have just discovered a stat of mine: I've played for 40 hours and completed 1.2% of the main story. lol
Did you finish the heist quest yet? I haven't even done that.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:16 AM   #2309
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
gifted myself a logitech g29 wheel, pedals, and shifter. rediscovering forza horizon 3 while also trying to figure out what combination of control tweaks feels most natural.

so far, can't get past the pendulum effect at speed. tail of the car starts coming out in a turn, and i just can't get it under control again like i can with a game pad or keyboard.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:45 AM   #2310
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Did you finish the heist quest yet? I haven't even done that.

Yeah, I've done that.
I'm now at 2.4%

I'm struggling to think that the main story can be done in 30 hours. How could one not be distracted?

Tags
pc master race, u no have 3080