follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-11-2020, 06:08 AM   #1
02maher

Drives: Gt86 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Computer Communication Issue - Immobiliser On

Hi guys, I have a 2013 manual gt86 with a normal key.
The issue is that I lost the transponder chip inside my only key (not oem)
So the antitheft red is blinking and code B1402 and B1572 are under “current” column in techstream... under “history” column these Codes are here ; U0100 U0122 U1201 U0155 B1410.

In the system selection menu these are selectable :
Engine, SRS Airbag, Main Body, Master Switch, ABS/VSC/TRAC, Combination Meter, EMPS.
And these are not selectable (no communication):
ECT, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Smart Key, Power Source Control, Air Conditioner, Occupant detection, Theft Deterrent.

The mechanic said that he checked all fuses/relays, ground connections, Can Bus, key amplifier, harness connectors and he didn’t find any voltage abnormalities.
I managed to find a main body ECU (driver side, left) and tested it on my car but it didn’t change anything (Even the Vin number didn’t change, so I’m guessing that the key isn’t registered in there? Can it be in the ECM?)
We saw that there is no visual sign of damage on either the ECM or ECU.
Can you please tell me if the key is registered on the ECM (passenger side) and how can I be sure if it works fine? If I have to buy another ECM I need to be sure that it is the problem as it will cost a lot.
Also if I find an ECM from a car that is not Manual but automatic can it work on mine?
Thanks 🙏 A Lot for any help
02maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:45 AM   #2
krauterz

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
did you figure out if the issue was with the ECM or the SMT module? I am having a similar issue.
krauterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:13 AM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02maher View Post
Hi guys, I have a 2013 manual gt86 with a normal key.
The issue is that I lost the transponder chip inside my only key (not oem)
So the antitheft red is blinking and code B1402 and B1572 are under “current” column in techstream... under “history” column these Codes are here ; U0100 U0122 U1201 U0155 B1410.

In the system selection menu these are selectable :
Engine, SRS Airbag, Main Body, Master Switch, ABS/VSC/TRAC, Combination Meter, EMPS.
And these are not selectable (no communication):
ECT, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Smart Key, Power Source Control, Air Conditioner, Occupant detection, Theft Deterrent.

The mechanic said that he checked all fuses/relays, ground connections, Can Bus, key amplifier, harness connectors and he didn’t find any voltage abnormalities.
I managed to find a main body ECU (driver side, left) and tested it on my car but it didn’t change anything (Even the Vin number didn’t change, so I’m guessing that the key isn’t registered in there? Can it be in the ECM?)
We saw that there is no visual sign of damage on either the ECM or ECU.
Can you please tell me if the key is registered on the ECM (passenger side) and how can I be sure if it works fine? If I have to buy another ECM I need to be sure that it is the problem as it will cost a lot.
Also if I find an ECM from a car that is not Manual but automatic can it work on mine?
Thanks 🙏 A Lot for any help
As I understand things.
The imobilizer is in the instrument cluster. Even then it isn't just a simple matter of swapping the cluster over as there is programing that can't even be done at the dealer level. You can not reprogram a key through techstream.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:26 PM   #4
02maher

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauterz View Post
did you figure out if the issue was with the ECM or the SMT module? I am having a similar issue.
Problem was with the Body ECU... You need to get techstream and a cable and do a full diagnostic and communicate all the codes you have.

Do you have the immobilizer blinking even after you insert the key?
Old 02-16-2021, 05:25 PM   #5
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,301 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
If you lost the transponder chip, you basically have no valid keys. You will need a brand new gauge cluster, immobilizer and a key, have them installed and then register them with Techstream.

This is next to impossible to do using used parts because the programming gets hard coded in the modules. Dealerships have the ability to send the modules off and have them cleared...but most would rather just sell you the new parts...and if you find a dealership willing to send them off to be cleared, you might as well send off
the ones that are in the car already instead of buying different ones. Once the modules are cleared, you can program a new key to them with the Techstream.

This is why I tell EVERYONE with only 1 key they should get a spare, because if they lose the 1 key, it's a difficult and expensive process to get the car running again.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:50 AM   #6
krauterz

Quote:
Problem was with the Body ECU... You need to get techstream and a cable and do a full diagnostic and communicate all the codes you have.

Do you have the immobilizer blinking even after you insert the key?
mine is push button start, which in my understanding has a pretty dramatic impact on how it all works.
With a key, the ECM communicates with the body ecu. with push button, its all between the SMT ecu and the ECM according to the wiring diagram.

to answer your question, yes it does still blink even with the ignition on and the key solid green.
im lost. likely going to have to take it to a dealer.

I have techstream. after getting a lot of water in the compartment, I was getting two codes. B1572 (immo) and B2782 (steering lock) however B2782 has since disappeared.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:27 PM   #7
02maher

Quote:
mine is push button start, which in my understanding has a pretty dramatic impact on how it all works.
With a key, the ECM communicates with the body ecu. with push button, its all between the SMT ecu and the ECM according to the wiring diagram.

to answer your question, yes it does still blink even with the ignition on and the key solid green.
im lost. likely going to have to take it to a dealer.

I have techstream. after getting a lot of water in the compartment, I was getting two codes. B1572 (immo) and B2782 (steering lock) however B2782 has since disappeared.
So you have the antitheft light blinking red and also a steady green light (key)?
What do you mean by SMT ecu... whether it’s a push to start or a key, it’s the same system; main body ecu detects key code through amplifier and crosscheck that info with the gauge cluster and the ecm which allows you to start the engine.

How did it stop working? any modifications made?
Old 02-19-2021, 02:26 AM   #8
krauterz

Quote:
So you have the antitheft light blinking red and also a steady green light (key)?
What do you mean by SMT ecu... whether it’s a push to start or a key, it’s the same system; main body ecu detects key code through amplifier and crosscheck that info with the gauge cluster and the ecm which allows you to start the engine.

How did it stop working? any modifications made?
a bout 4 inches of water in the footwell after a torrential pour with a door not fully closed.
no modifications that would be relevant to the situation.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:12 AM   #9
02maher

Quote:
a bout 4 inches of water in the footwell after a torrential pour with a door not fully closed.
no modifications that would be relevant to the situation.
Oh I see. 4 inches that’s still very far from the Ecu but you never know, if wires were wet and you attempted to start the car it might have caused a short circuit... I would make sure that everything is well dry first ( there is a harness connector at that level make sure it’s all dry there and then verify the fuses especially the ecu one. My ecu was throwing the code U0100 for lost communication but if you don’t have this your ecu should be fine hopefully.

Try also to do a communication ID registration on techstream if this operation goes through that means your ecu is still communicating with your ecm (at least some protocols).

How many keys do you have?

Last edited by 02maher; 02-19-2021 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-19-2021, 09:37 AM   #10
krauterz

Quote:
Oh I see. 4 inches that’s still very far from the Ecu but you never know, if wires were wet and you attempted to start the car it might have caused a short circuit... I would make sure that everything is well dry first ( there is a harness connector at that level make sure it’s all dry there and then verify the fuses especially the ecu one. My ecu was throwing the code U0100 for lost communication but if you don’t have this your ecu should be fine hopefully.

Try also to do a communication ID registration on techstream if this operation goes through that means your ecu is still communicating with your ecm (at least some protocols).

How many keys do you have?
let me preface this by saying I appreciate the help.
I have tried all of this tbh. all ecu components (ECM, BODY, SMT etc) have been removed, disassembled and checked. sprayed with contact cleaner, etc. all fuses removed from fusebox and inspected, fuse box has been disassembled and inspected. all junction connectors checked and cleaned, literally gutted all the electronics from the car. the entire dash is out.
everything works fine, CAN communicates with all ECUs without issues, just "immobilizer communication fault" is thrown and the car wont fire.

At this stage i believe it is a blown SMT ecu. mainly because this is responsible for communication with the steering lock ECU, which was throwing codes first before fixing itself, and also is responsible for managing the communication between the body ecu and ecm.
and I have a gut feeling.
I have a replacement coming. I will let you know how I go.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:27 AM   #11
02maher

Quote:
let me preface this by saying I appreciate the help.
I have tried all of this tbh. all ecu components (ECM, BODY, SMT etc) have been removed, disassembled and checked. sprayed with contact cleaner, etc. all fuses removed from fusebox and inspected, fuse box has been disassembled and inspected. all junction connectors checked and cleaned, literally gutted all the electronics from the car. the entire dash is out.
everything works fine, CAN communicates with all ECUs without issues, just "immobilizer communication fault" is thrown and the car wont fire.

At this stage i believe it is a blown SMT ecu. mainly because this is responsible for communication with the steering lock ECU, which was throwing codes first before fixing itself, and also is responsible for managing the communication between the body ecu and ecm.
and I have a gut feeling.
I have a replacement coming. I will let you know how I go.
Ok. I believe it might be that too... Just to clarify, the SMT module you're talking about is the transponder key ECU Assembly which is behind the Air Conditioning Unit right?

For my car the key ID is registered in the body ECU and the Combination Meter.
But for your Push to Start the key ID is in the Body ECU and this transponder key ECU Assembly, That's the difference.

Once you change that you have to just perform a ECU Communication ID Registration and you should be able to go.
Old 10-04-2021, 01:51 AM   #12
MCTuning

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Did you ever figure this out?
MCTuning is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecm, ecu, immobiliser, software, transponder