follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-02-2015, 03:14 AM   #29
Stumpygt86

Drives: Toyota GT86. N/A for life
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vividracing View Post
I used the 1" by 50ft black. There's no difference between black and tan besides the look, and fiberglass wrap absorbs and stains with any liquid that touches it, if you get oil on tan wrap, it'll show there. So I got black to avoid that and make it look better.

I have the OFH and it was pretty straight forward to wrap but the collector was a pain especially with the sensor location. I specifically used 1" because 2" makes it more difficult to wrap around corners and turns, I had enough to reach the end but I trimmed the rest too early as I was trying to zip tie it and I had to keep moving the zip tie point further up, in my case I finally managed to lock it in just after the collector. Yes it doesn't cover the "entire" header but 95% is still good, the results are great, I feel very little heat coming from the engine, the wrap keeps the engine bay cool(er).

50' is plenty if you wrap it right and make the overlap on the straights as little as possible without slipping and the opposite on the turns.

After wrapping, I used DEI's high temp silicone coating to seal the wrap and make it less likely to absorb liquids. I used the entire can to be safe.

Oh and most important wrap it as tightly as possible or it will eventually slip and make gaps. Not that it happened to me but that's what happens.

-RyanG

I had my UEL header (ProSpeedRacing) coated and then I wrapped it (DEI Titainium), although I wrapped the individual pipes. And yes, the collector is a major pain in the but.
Stumpygt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:48 AM   #30
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Question

Will wrapping the full exhaust and headers (already ceramic coated) tone down the exhaust a bit? It is obnoxiously LOUD!
Old 05-18-2016, 03:33 AM   #31
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
There is chance for doing that to reduce some drone imho .. but loudness? Imho no. Change to quieter catback to get back reasonable loudness. Or weld in misc extra resonators/mufflers .. but i'd rather sell old too loud catback and get quieter instead.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 03:49 AM   #32
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
I have my headers coated and wrapped. I've also ran headers without coating or wrap. If I don't run the OE cat-back it's loud as hell either way. It may muffle some of the valvetrain noise, but i doubt the difference is noticeable. Worth it to keep temps in check.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 09:58 AM   #33
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Will the uncatted UEL headers be okay with the stock exhaust, or will this be overly loud as well?
Old 05-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #34
shellslinger

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad86 View Post
Will the uncatted UEL headers be okay with the stock exhaust, or will this be overly loud as well?
Not loud at all. It's pretty good with stock exhaust but you'll only really hear it when you get on the throttle.
shellslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shellslinger For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (05-18-2016)
Old 12-09-2019, 10:20 PM   #35
Antisocialspeed

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bringing back from dead. Question regarding wrapping the header. Any disadvantages to wrapping each set of runners together rather than each tube individually? I've seen it both ways and its obviously way easier to wrap them in 2's to the collector then each one by itself.
Antisocialspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:13 AM   #36
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,096 Times in 2,046 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antisocialspeed View Post
Bringing back from dead. Question regarding wrapping the header. Any disadvantages to wrapping each set of runners together rather than each tube individually? I've seen it both ways and its obviously way easier to wrap them in 2's to the collector then each one by itself.
The only disadvantage is that you lose the insulation on each runner in the middle where they're not wrapped. Still better than leaving them exposed to radiate heat
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #37
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antisocialspeed View Post
I've done both ways.. having to rewrap pretty much annually.

It seems as if you wrap multiple runners together the wrap will break down faster than if you wrapped individually. As far as the amount of heat radiating off of the wraps I couldn't say. I'd assume the more material you use the better it would insulate, but I have not data to back that up.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote