follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #29
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
That means a lot coming from you as I was going back and forth with you about it in another thread. I was just driving a go-kart the other day at Andretti racing and I realized that even a go-kart is fun without needing a clutch. The grip from the tires and the planted low feel paired with the tight steering made me enjoy the experience like no other. I hope the BRZ automatic feels like what I experienced but of course in a bigger vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSandMan View Post
62 eh? Your mannerisms are that of a 14 year old. I can't imagine my grandfather openly saying that he has someone available to jerk him off. I mean I'm sure he and my grandmother have their fun times...but seriously.

I Tapped that
got my point across! you don't like it? don't read it! as far as being 14 again? yeah i could go for that! sucks bein' old, but ya deal with it! ehe! he! he! besides, who the f**k cares what you think! with that obtuse half -ass remark,you obviously don't care what i think! just sayin' (lol!) sent from my tap-a-talk.
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #30
Purdue FR-S
Boiler Up!

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

This thread...
Purdue FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Purdue FR-S For This Useful Post:
a.beck (01-18-2013), MmmHamSandwich (01-17-2013), russv (01-17-2013), Surok (01-20-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #31
BRZranger

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Talked with Bob @Drift-Office over the last couple weeks. Bob has a colorful collection of cars and owns a MT FRS.

Bob had my a/t BRZ over the course of almost two weeks for R&D. In summary, he was extremely pleased with the A/T and thinks there maybe a possibility of closing the power gap with a few mods and tuning.

My setup will soon have an AVO turbo installed, and he'll have one for his FRS... Maybe next week? Should be some interesting results coming!
BRZranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #32
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSandMan View Post
62 eh? Your mannerisms are that of a 14 year old. I can't imagine my grandfather openly saying that he has someone available to jerk him off. I mean I'm sure he and my grandmother have their fun times...but seriously.

I Tapped that

This is seriously not a good time for your "tapatalk" signature to pop up at the end of a post.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laika For This Useful Post:
CircuitJerk (01-18-2013), dori. (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #33
tech4pdx
Make love

Drives: H8R.. Not really
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
he! he! he! Lovin' this thread. We need a Hall of Fame section.

he! he! he!
tech4pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #34
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzranger View Post
Talked with Bob @Drift-Office over the last couple weeks. Bob has a colorful collection of cars and owns a MT FRS.

Bob had my a/t BRZ over the course of almost two weeks for R&D. In summary, he was extremely pleased with the A/T and thinks there maybe a possibility of closing the power gap with a few mods and tuning.

My setup will soon have an AVO turbo installed, and he'll have one for his FRS... Maybe next week? Should be some interesting results coming!
There is no power gap. They make exactly the same power at the crank. On dynos they put down nearly identical numbers, the power varies from car to car like any model vehicle.

The difference in the 1/4 mile is the launch. Maybe 1/2 a tenth due to gearing (very, very slight difference), but the big difference is the launch. Second through sixth, assume they are nearly identical.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #35
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Interesting you say that. Do you like the low-speed driveability better with the torque-converter?

My GTI has the dual-clutch auto setup and I think it's great. I've only driven one auto FR-S and I wasn't blown away by it, so curious to hear your thoughts.
LOVE the low speed driveability. No more jerky shifting, especially in traffic. I would not have said it was better than the DSG while in regular mode, although I do find it nice, but when you put it in sport mode the rev matching down shifts, and just overall feel of the shifts are amazing.

Of course I hate that it's STILL a regular torque converter and the inherent drivetrain loss that goes along with it. But you can't have it all.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #36
jmaryt
Banned

these are exactly my thoughts as well.as i have admitted,i "judged" this slush box prematurely,and i was wrong!.i did not drive it ahead of my comments,and i deserve to "called on the carpet" for that! i admit that THIS auto tranny in THIS car is great! what a pleasure to drive,AND the bonus of excellent fuel economy! (hot damn!)
The Following User Says Thank You to jmaryt For This Useful Post:
Burrcold (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #37
MmmHamSandwich
You know you want it.

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Of course I hate that it's STILL a regular torque converter and the inherent drivetrain loss that goes along with it. But you can't have it all.
The drivetrain loss in autos is exceptionally minimal nowadays, due in part to a lockup converter. The main difference is in acceleration times as you said is due to gear ratios (very small) and the ability to launch (easily the biggest difference between the two transmissions in acceleration times from 0)

Granted I wonder if there is some way to tap into the ECU to see exactly when the converter has been locked up. Supposedly it is in every gear outside of 1st, but I will say there are times I swear I step on the gas and the rpm's seem to decrease akin to a slipping clutch, and I wonder if the torque converter is to blame. If so it certainly has a negative impact on precise throttle modulation.

The Following User _________ Stay_Puft(09-13-2014)
Says Thank You to
MmmHamSandwich For
This Useful Post:

MmmHamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #38
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmHamSandwich View Post
Nice edit there. Think I wouldn't notice?

Vindictive SOB, that's pretty much a dead ringer for me, and being one has served me quite well over the years.

As far as being a disgruntled car sales manager, not much evidence for that now is there? Judging by your inability to write a coherent sentence I'd say there's plenty of evidence for you either being a troll at best and a victim of moderate brain damage at worst. That's not an insult btw, I don't make fun of disabled people. Just my observation.

PS: There is a difference between admitting you were wrong versus lying, hoping you wouldn't get caught, getting caught, and then trying to play it off.

Admit it, you never test drove the car and yet you persisted in giving people crap for months. They told you to at least try it. You could have refused, but no, even worse you said you already had tested it and it still sucked. Then when you finally took their advice and tried it whadya know you loved it. Personally I think you owe an apology for your behavior, especially to guys like Russv who honestly tried to help broaden your horizons, but that's probably asking too much from you.

I honestly hope you are a troll, I can't imagine anyone being satisfied with lack of communication/thinking skills and what little value they provide to their own communities.

Signed, The Vindictive S.O.B.
i called you that because i believe you to be one! no mystery there! i admitted that i was wrong,and don't believe anything else is necessary would you shoot me now,tar and feather me,or (heaven forbid) make me join a protest group outside the capital trying to impeach obama. i say it like it is! if i'm wrong,then i "man" up and admit it.i have done this already,
what's the matter? you never made an honest mistake in your life?
put it to bed! let's move on! f**k it! (lol!)
The Following User Says Thank You to jmaryt For This Useful Post:
tech4pdx (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #39
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
The drivetrain loss in autos is exceptionally minimal nowadays, due in part to a lockup converter. The main difference is in acceleration times as you said is due to gear ratios (very small) and the ability to launch (easily the biggest difference between the two transmissions in acceleration times from 0)

Granted I wonder if there is some way to tap into the ECU to see exactly when the converter has been locked up. Supposedly it is in every gear outside of 1st, but I will say there are times I swear I step on the gas and the rpm's seem to decrease akin to a slipping clutch, and I wonder if the torque converter is to blame. If so it certainly has a negative impact on precise throttle modulation.
You're right that the drivetrain loss is minimal, but compared to the DSG auto tranny in the GTI (which shifts even faster than possible in a manual), you notice a difference. Again, I love our auto though. I wouldn't have bought one if I didn't think it was far superior to everything this side of dual clutches.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #40
tech4pdx
Make love

Drives: H8R.. Not really
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
i called you that because i believe you to be one! no mystery there! i admitted that i was wrong,and don't believe anything else is necessary would you shoot me now,tar and feather me,or (heaven forbid) make me join a protest group outside the capital trying to impeach obama. i say it like it is! if i'm wrong,then i "man" up and admit it.i have done this already,
what's the matter? you never made an honest mistake in your life?
put it to bed! let's move on! f**k it! (lol!)
I need to give you props for man'n up. I respect that. I still wouldn't own an auto. Love my stick!! Lol
tech4pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #41
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
Nice edit there. Think I wouldn't notice?

Vindictive SOB, that's pretty much a dead ringer for me, and being one has served me quite well over the years.

As far as being a disgruntled car sales manager, not much evidence for that now is there? Judging by your inability to write a coherent sentence I'd say there's plenty of evidence for you either being a troll at best and a victim of moderate brain damage at worst. That's not an insult btw, I don't make fun of disabled people. Just my observation.

PS: There is a difference between admitting you were wrong versus lying, hoping you wouldn't get caught, getting caught, and then trying to play it off.

Admit it, you never test drove the car and yet you persisted in giving people crap for months. They told you to at least try it. You could have refused, but no, even worse you said you already had tested it and it still sucked. Then when you finally took their advice and tried it whadya know you loved it. Personally I think you owe an apology for your behavior, especially to guys like Russv who honestly tried to help broaden your horizons, but that's probably asking too much from you.

I honestly hope you are a troll, I can't imagine anyone being satisfied with lack of communication/thinking skills and what little value they provide to their own communities.

Signed, The Vindictive S.O.B.
Quote:
LOVE the low speed driveability. No more jerky shifting, especially in traffic. I would not have said it was better than the DSG while in regular mode, although I do find it nice, but when you put it in sport mode the rev matching down shifts, and just overall feel of the shifts are amazing.

yes! unfortunately there will always be a certain amount of "slippage" in the drive train with the 'slush" as mentioned,good thing is,the slippage is limited due to the lock-up torque converter. still,i was really pleasantly surprised
at how "smooth,and quick it is! big wow factor!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #42
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
You're right that the drivetrain loss is minimal, but compared to the DSG auto tranny in the GTI (which shifts even faster than possible in a manual), you notice a difference. Again, I love our auto though. I wouldn't have bought one if I didn't think it was far superior to everything this side of dual clutches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Insano View Post
There is no power gap. They make exactly the same power at the crank. On dynos they put down nearly identical numbers, the power varies from car to car like any model vehicle.

The difference in the 1/4 mile is the launch. Maybe 1/2 a tenth due to gearing (very, very slight difference), but the big difference is the launch. Second through sixth, assume they are nearly identical.
yes! this makes perfect sense as the gearing is slightly different,hence the
difference in gas mileage,but they STILL kept the gearing adequate for performance purposes.