follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #15
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Drives: 15' LTD Subaru BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
There is only one correct answer to the “turbo or supercharger” question.

YES.
this made me gigglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fer_gt86 View Post
I want to make my gt86 turbo or supercharged... But I don't know what it's better?
Which one would you choose to increase more the HP?
Ideas?
I'll share my experience, since I did about 6-7 months of research on SC or Turbo and what kits.

POWER GOALS: It really comes down to power goals. I've driven a Jaguar F-Type (SC (360hp)) and Mercedes Slc 43 AMG (Twin Turbo(380 hp)). F Type's sound

FAMILIARIZATION: This was during my research. Not only did I get the experience of a lifetime, but I also got a feeling for that amount of power, it sufficed, this made me realize I wanted something around that type of power, preferably little lower. I drove the S*** out of them on every road. I am aware that these 2 cars are BUILT for that power. BRZ obviously have to modify around that type of power, not to mention LIGHTER.

MONEY/FOR POWER: I didn't want to spend THOUSANDS of dollars in something that has "so to speak" half the power (SC) of something that is also worth THOUSANDS of dollars but gives my "so to speak" twice the power. BEFORE any SC owners comment, I mean power RIGHT OFF THE BAT (JUST THE KIT)

EXTRA MODIFICATIONS TO GAIN POWER: I also determined I didn't want to rely on E85 flex fuel or not. I wanted 280-300 wheel with pump gas. This is a huge turning point for a lot of 86ers. I wanted to slap the turbo kit on and modify around it for reliability, not for more power gains.

MY EXPERIENCE (TURBO):Now driving turbo'd BRZ for around 3000 miles, I'm extremely happy that I didn't listen to the common "THE POWER IS NEEDED DOWN LOW", don't get me wrong, around turns and track I completely agree but I asked my self if I'm just streeting the car, wouldn't I make up the instant POWER DOWN LOW in the TWICE THE POWER?

This by far is the most misleading comment I kept reading. "FI RUINS THE BALANCE OF THE CAR" yea if you care about every single number, lateral Gs and all that, I don't. I can still make those beautiful turns.

RELIABILITY: I believe SC has this nailed down, even tho my buddy with Edelbrock is having more problems than me, I do still believe this.

P.S. I smoked an edelbrock frs twice 2 different days (friendly race)

Instagram: 86_Maul
ShadowReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:52 PM   #16
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ask a computer person if they enjoy a Mac or a Windows computer better. Not apples to apples (haha) but same theory; one is easier to deal with, but generally has less flexibility. One can be a real pile, but if you're smart you have real fire at your fingertips.

Research BMW forums for SC vs turbo debates. You'll find a decade more of information, same arguments, and you'll be asking yourself the same question. The only difference is that the answer you find for yourself will be educated.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
ShadowReaper (02-18-2018)