follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #1
ChrisD

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Transmission swap

OK so I'm still on the fence about getting forged internals installed in my engine so that I can increase the boost from my turbo, and one of the things that is putting me off (other than the price) is the fact that I've seen a few people here mention the stock transmission not being very strong. It seems pointless spending all that time and money beefing up the engine if the transmission won't take much more power anyway.

But despite a lot of people complaining about the stock tranny, I haven't found any details of people swapping them or finding any other kind of solution for this... other than one thread about getting some custom made gears (which a few people didn't seem keen on) and one thread mentioning a Tremec magnum XL tranny swap should be possible but I don't think anyone actually went ahead and did it.

So anyone that's got experience of this - what options do I have? Are there any known transmissions that fit in our cars ok and will handle the higher power?

Also, is there anything else that needs strengthening or sorting out? I've already got a stronger clutch, drive shafts (or "axles" to you Americans) rated up to 600 bhp, uprated fuel injectors, oil cooler, and planning to get the Reimax oil pump gear if I go for the forged engine build. So what will be the next problem that stops us increasing the power (after the tranny) ?

Thanks
Chris
AVO Stage 4 Turbo, Carrillo forged con rods, 10:1 CR Carrillo pistons, AVO 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Helix clutch, TheDriveShaftShop drive shafts, lightweight flywheel, NamelessPerformance hydraulic hand brake, KW V3 coilovers... and lots of other little bits
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
the tremec was done by accelerated performance. the problem with them is they don't like to be shifted at high rpm.

there is a PAR gearset available. well, kind of available at the moment. they had to change a few things because there was a slight issue during install. but that's out there.

you can do the v160, v161 conversion from full blown. basically a bulletproof trans (for the power the fa20 will make). trans itself is $6-7k new, $5k-ish used. so it adds up quick. usually around $11k all said and done

we are doing a GM auto trans conversion since we drag race/street drive. another bulletproof setup but i doubt many at all will want to switch to an auto like we do
@spitfire481
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spitfire481 For This Useful Post:
ChrisD (08-09-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
ChrisD

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire481 View Post
the tremec was done by accelerated performance. the problem with them is they don't like to be shifted at high rpm.

there is a PAR gearset available. well, kind of available at the moment. they had to change a few things because there was a slight issue during install. but that's out there.

you can do the v160, v161 conversion from full blown. basically a bulletproof trans (for the power the fa20 will make). trans itself is $6-7k new, $5k-ish used. so it adds up quick. usually around $11k all said and done

we are doing a GM auto trans conversion since we drag race/street drive. another bulletproof setup but i doubt many at all will want to switch to an auto like we do
Thanks for the response. When people say the tremec doesn't like to be shifted at high RPM, do you know how high they are talking? I've no plans to increase the limiter on my 86 so the max its ever going to be shifted at is like 7500 RPM.

I'll look in to the v160 and v161 option you mentioned too thanks.
AVO Stage 4 Turbo, Carrillo forged con rods, 10:1 CR Carrillo pistons, AVO 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Helix clutch, TheDriveShaftShop drive shafts, lightweight flywheel, NamelessPerformance hydraulic hand brake, KW V3 coilovers... and lots of other little bits
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #4
spitfire481

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
Thanks for the response. When people say the tremec doesn't like to be shifted at high RPM, do you know how high they are talking? I've no plans to increase the limiter on my 86 so the max its ever going to be shifted at is like 7500 RPM.

I'll look in to the v160 and v161 option you mentioned too thanks.

6000rpm and above people complain about the tko transmissions being hard to get into gear. We had issues around 6-6500 on a t56 with an ls2 swap as well. 3-4 shift mostly.

The v160 is a great trans for a street car making good power. Would pretty much never fail on you and shifts great. Also fullblown has a complete swap already together for purchase
@spitfire481
Old 04-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
Ruckus

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire481 View Post

TH400?
Old 04-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #6
spitfire481

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
TH400?
we actually put the auto on hold because we acquired a custom bell housing from a buddy of ours for a tremec. we went straight to a faceplated tko600 so there wouldn't be any shifting issues like the stock tremec synchronized units. takes a little getting used to on the street but at high rpm it shifts perfect every time.
@spitfire481
The Following User Says Thank You to spitfire481 For This Useful Post:
skye67 (04-05-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #7
Drakiv
Project Shadow

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
PAR engineering all the way. Sorry I am biased, however you can now talk to jacks transmissions as they are now officially the exclusive dealer for North America. The fitment issues were fixed, but we will see I guess.

Instagram: Drakiv
Drakiv is offline   Reply With Quote