follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2022, 07:16 PM   #169
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Color/trim/transmission?

This is pure speculation on my part. But I have a feeling they are building Limited's with manual transmissions first.
Ice Silver Metallic/Limited/MT
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 12:21 AM   #170
WRBRZk

Drives: potential 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My BRZ has arrived at the dealer. I am suppossed to go pick it up Thursday. When I had originally ordered the car, I had the dealer fill out a form for a lease. The lease agreement had a fee on it called "Hazard Protect" basically waiving any damages that happen during the lease as a single fee. I have since decided to finance the car. I notified the financial guy at the dealership today about my decision. He told me that the Hazard fee would be waived, but replaced with a $1500 rust spray with 10/yr warranty for rust. I told him I don't want it, but he said I need to have one or the other. He then implied I don't have to take the car if I don't want to. I've been waiting 8 months lol.
WRBRZk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WRBRZk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 01:23 AM   #171
Ghost of Akina

Drives: DE5 Integra Type S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBRZk View Post
My BRZ has arrived at the dealer. I am suppossed to go pick it up Thursday. When I had originally ordered the car, I had the dealer fill out a form for a lease. The lease agreement had a fee on it called "Hazard Protect" basically waiving any damages that happen during the lease as a single fee. I have since decided to finance the car. I notified the financial guy at the dealership today about my decision. He told me that the Hazard fee would be waived, but replaced with a $1500 rust spray with 10/yr warranty for rust. I told him I don't want it, but he said I need to have one or the other. He then implied I don't have to take the car if I don't want to. I've been waiting 8 months lol.
That is not cool at all. I would be calling the GM tomorrow to deal with them directly. More often than not they will make it right, it’s the sales guy who wants to keep his commission high. Can’t believe all the $hit some of these dealers get away with still!
Old 08-09-2022, 11:07 AM   #172
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Akina View Post
That is not cool at all. I would be calling the GM tomorrow to deal with them directly. More often than not they will make it right, it’s the sales guy who wants to keep his commission high. Can’t believe all the $hit some of these dealers get away with still!
He is the one changing the deal. Obviously, there is certain profit expectation from the dealer for the "hazard protect" insurance. Now that he has changed the deal, the dealer needs to figure out a way to replace that profit (remember dealers and dealer salesmen's kids need to eat too).

He may or may not end up getting the dealer to change their mind by bitching (otherwise known as negotiating). But to get all up in arms and morally indignant about it is laughable to me...
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:22 AM   #173
Thatllbuffout

Drives: WRX
Quote:
The lease agreement had a fee on it called "Hazard Protect" basically waiving any damages that happen during the lease as a single fee. I have since decided to finance the car. I notified the financial guy at the dealership today about my decision. He told me that the Hazard fee would be waived, but replaced with a $1500 rust spray with 10/yr warranty for rust..
I wish you the best in getting them to remove the fee. Sadly they know if you walk away the car will sell with an even higher mark up by the end of the week. You're gonna end up paying something most likely, so try and negotiate it lower or maybe to a maintanence service plan or some other type of compromise where they'll get the profit and you get something you actually want in return.

Let this be a lesson to all, when car shopping always get a signed sales agreement with a breakdown of all charges. If there is anything extra that you don't want or need tell them to take it off or move on to another dealer. Even after being assured by the GM at my dealer that there were no hidden packages/fees I MADE them write in big letters on the sales agreement that nothing further was to be added when the car arrived. It sucks to have to be like this. I got taken for $1500 by a Jeep dealer years ago for something I didn't even realize I was buying.

Screw Dealers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
He is the one changing the deal. Obviously, there is certain profit expectation from the dealer for the "hazard protect" insurance. Now that he has changed the deal, the dealer needs to figure out a way to replace that profit (remember dealers and dealer salesmen's kids need to eat too).
Spoken like a true car salesman.

No they added a pure profit fee because they are greedy. Should OP have been more aware and refused it from the beginning? Yup. But we live and we learn, sometimes the hard way.

I worked at a Toyota dealer for 3 years in college as a porter. I saw some truly heinous shit the salesman pulled. Using bully tactics and high pressure to sell all kinds of packages that customers didn't need. Trust me, they still make money without all this added shit. Especially right now since nothing is being sold under MSRP and typically at a large markup.

Do NOT EVER defend a dealership. They all need to be banished.

Last edited by Thatllbuffout; 08-09-2022 at 11:40 AM.
Thatllbuffout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:27 AM   #174
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Akina View Post
Ironically enough the sales guy and the finance manager will both make far, far, more on a financed car than a leased one! They should be laughing and rubbing their hands together to get a finance deal not adding on unwanted extras that will pay them peanuts. My wife has been a finance manager for 25 years and believe me those add ons don't pay shit compared to financing commission.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:30 AM   #175
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatllbuffout View Post
I wish you the best in getting them to remove the fee. Sadly they know if you walk away the car will sell with an even higher mark up by the end of the week. You're gonna end up paying something most likely, so try and negotiate it lower or maybe to a maintanence service plan or some other type of compromise where they'll get the profit and you get something you actually want in return.

Let this be a lesson to all, when car shopping always get a signed sales agreement with a breakdown of all charges. If there is anything extra that you don't want or need tell them to take it off or move on to another dealer. Even after being assured by the GM at my dealer that there were no hidden packages/fees I MADE them write in big letters on the sales agreement that nothing further was to be added when the car arrived. It sucks to have to be like this. I got taken for $1500 by a Jeep dealer years ago for something I didn't even realize I was buying.

Screw Dealers....
In fairness MOST dealers will not screw you over. You just don't hear the good news stories!

In this case he had an agreement and then changed it so some of the onus is on him. Not saying it is OK for the dealer to do such a shitty thing but if the original agreement had been followed it would not have happened.
CincyJohn (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 12:06 PM   #176
chickunfut
Low-Buck Ramp Truck

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Release 2.0 #502
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
See if you can get them to sell you an extended warranty, gap, or wheel insurance for the same price. You can cancel after the deal and get your money back. I'd bet they won't swap the "rust spray" for these though but it's worth a shot.
chickunfut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:27 PM   #177
CincyJohn

Quote:

Spoken like a true car salesman.
Nah, spoken like a true capitalist/receiver of checks from employment for my disposition of services.

What do you do? How do you make money? Would you accept less just because? Would not accepting less make you "greedy?"

Do believe in free markets? Do you think that nobody is beholden to buy a certain car from a certain dealer?
The Following User Says Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 03:12 PM   #178
BioRebel

Drives: Mini Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
Nah, spoken like a true capitalist/receiver of checks from employment for my disposition of services.

What do you do? How do you make money? Would you accept less just because? Would not accepting less make you "greedy?"

Do believe in free markets? Do you think that nobody is beholden to buy a certain car from a certain dealer?
I believe the sales rep and finance rep should make a living wage without having to scam over a customer.

And without getting too far into the whole "free markets" thing, dealerships in the US aren't really "free market", they're a byproduct of regulatory capture.
BioRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:20 PM   #179
Thatllbuffout

Drives: WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
In fairness MOST dealers will not screw you over. You just don't hear the good news stories!

In this case he had an agreement and then changed it so some of the onus is on him. Not saying it is OK for the dealer to do such a shitty thing but if the original agreement had been followed it would not have happened.
I completely agree you! 100% Which is why I made it a point to make this a life lesson. You have to protect yourself and unfortunately you only learn how to do that through these experiences. The onus is completely on the him. The OP shoulda seen that on the lease agreement originally and told them to pound sand. But he probably didn't realize what was happening or didn't think anything of it. Or maybe the salesman told him this is totally normal and all dealers do this. Now he's at their mercy.

Anyways back on topic! I believe my BRZ is either on the vessel Morning Cindy or the Toreador both scheduled to dock next week in Brunswick. Excited!
Thatllbuffout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thatllbuffout For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 04:15 PM   #180
CincyJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRebel View Post
I believe the sales rep and finance rep should make a living wage without having to scam over a customer.
So they only deserve a "living wage" for their jobs? Do you earn more than a "living wage?" Would you like to? Who is your customer? Do you charge them a penny more for your services than is enough to provide you with a "living wage"?
Old 08-09-2022, 04:20 PM   #181
CincyJohn

Quote:
I completely agree you! 100% Which is why I made it a point to make this a life lesson. You have to protect yourself and unfortunately you only learn how to do that through these experiences. The onus is completely on the him. The OP shoulda seen that on the lease agreement originally and told them to pound sand. But he probably didn't realize what was happening or didn't think anything of it. Or maybe the salesman told him this is totally normal and all dealers do this. Now he's at their mercy.

Anyways back on topic! I believe my BRZ is either on the vessel Morning Cindy or the Toreador both scheduled to dock next week in Brunswick. Excited!
Look, the pound sand thing only works if the person you are telling to pound sand can't easily turn around and sell it for the same price you are unwilling to pay to someone else.

Dealers were at buyers' mercy (for the most part) a little less than three years ago (people were buying 2020 and leftover 2019s on dealers' lots for WELL UNDER MSRP and even, in some cases, what the dealers paid for them). Did the people who got those deals say, "Sorry, I can't pay less than you paid for it - how can you make any money? Here's an extra couple of grand so your kids can eat."

Things have changed, although they are starting to change back. Some of us got lucky and the switch worked out great by being able to sell or trade-in our used (some significantly used) Gen 1s and get a Gen2 where possible at a deal hopefully close to MSRP.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #182
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Garage
These discussions make me want to track down the person I dealt with three years ago and hug them.

Last edited by 2020BRZtS; 08-09-2022 at 07:56 PM. Reason: spelling
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote