follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2022, 01:31 PM   #85
zr0z

Drives: 2018 Subaru WRX/STI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_Invention View Post
Hi All,

Time for a quick update. I'm going to take from a few different threads/places and compile here for tall driver solutions thus far.

Firstly the 50mm steering wheel spacer from 949racing went in. It's fantastic for clearing up some knee space. Longer legged individuals that sit closer to the wheel; this is a god send and will clear out the rim closer, allowing your seat to travel back a few clicks, freeing up some knee space. For a modest charge, completely reversible if you don't like it, and maintains all factory safety/communications systems - it is a no brainer and increases driving pleasure on/off the track.

(...)

Cheers,
Colin

Awesome update Colin!

Did you get the harness for the electrical bits? It sounds like you did, so I am assuming you retained steering wheel buttons function? At 6'5" this was my one single issue with a 2020 BRZ I test drove. This totally resolves that issue -- I knew the solution existed for the last gen, good to see someone doing it here.
zr0z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:14 PM   #86
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr0z View Post
Awesome update Colin!

Did you get the harness for the electrical bits? It sounds like you did, so I am assuming you retained steering wheel buttons function? At 6'5" this was my one single issue with a 2020 BRZ I test drove. This totally resolves that issue -- I knew the solution existed for the last gen, good to see someone doing it here.
Hey ZR - yep, the kit comes with a little wiring harness extension piece to maintain all the steering functions. If I'm not mistaken, it is essentially the gen1 parts carried over.

This'll be my third steering wheel spacer, and it is undoubtedly my favorite mod to any car I've done.

On the subject of the thread, I did hear back from IRP today, in fact:

"Our short shifter could be slightly moved toward front or rear due to elongated holes in the short shifter stand. It is possible that this would also be enough without having the angled short shifter."

It goes on further to imply they could potentially make a custom unit for a substantial cost. But as is, moving the shifter back some may be enough. I'm waiting on the lathewerks angled shifter extension piece to be shipped - if that won't suffice, I'll likely pursue the IRP unit.

I'm still waiting on a free weekend to take out the headliner and cut out my interior double-bubble. I've been ordering/receiving parts that need to be installed. Life, in general, has gotten busy, too. "Oh to have such problems."
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 12:30 AM   #87
Midnightsky

Drives: 2022 BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Keep us posted on the bubble cutout. I just got my Bell helmet today and at 6ft1 Im at least 3 inches further back in my seating position than Id like to be. Something will need to be done before Im happy and comfortable on track. Im not sure a professionally done foamectomy will gain me what I need any cheaper than a extra low position racing seat. My question will be, how can I do this while still retaining the use of my oem belts. A rollbar is definitely in my future, but not this early on.
Midnightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:34 PM   #88
Krokodil

Drives: Blue BRZ
Quote:
Hi All,

Time for a quick update. I'm going to take from a few different threads/places and compile here for tall driver solutions thus far.

Firstly the 50mm steering wheel spacer from 949racing went in. It's fantastic for clearing up some knee space. Longer legged individuals that sit closer to the wheel; this is a god send and will clear out the rim closer, allowing your seat to travel back a few clicks, freeing up some knee space. For a modest charge, completely reversible if you don't like it, and maintains all factory safety/communications systems - it is a no brainer and increases driving pleasure on/off the track.

Cheers,
Colin
Colin, thanks for recommendation.
I consider buying and installing steering spacer, because steering wheel is too far when I squeeze in semi-comfortably with helmet on. 6ft4
I read installation guidelines for gen1 on this forum.
And I reviewed steering wheel and steering column on my Gen2.
I did not find 3 holes for accessing pins that hold airbag.
Instead I found two larger rectangular openings covered with plastic “doors” on sides. When I open those cutouts I see this:

Would you please comment on this and advise on how to remove airbag on Gen2.
Krokodil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 08:02 PM   #89
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,292 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodil View Post
Instead I found two larger rectangular openings covered with plastic “doors” on sides. When I open those cutouts I see this:
Sounds like something that would be more useful to ask on the thread dedicated to that spacer instead. 949 can also answer on that thread.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:13 PM   #90
Krokodil

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Sounds like something that would be more useful to ask on the thread dedicated to that spacer instead. 949 can also answer on that thread.
I started with trying to get answer from 949.
Got a link to Fiata video that I already seen
So I am replying here to the helpful message about spacer from one of us Tall drivers of 2nd Gen.
Hope you do not mind.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:29 PM   #91
Re_Invention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodil View Post
Colin, thanks for recommendation.
I consider buying and installing steering spacer, because steering wheel is too far when I squeeze in semi-comfortably with helmet on. 6ft4
I read installation guidelines for gen1 on this forum.
And I reviewed steering wheel and steering column on my Gen2.

Hi Krokodil,

949racing did the swap when I brought the car to them for test fitting, I elected to keep it on once they confirmed it fit. So full disclosure - I didn't do the swap myself.

That being said; it looks no different than the S3 or NC miata in principal.

Get a small philips screw driver and locate the three holes BEHIND the steering wheel. Engage the retainer clip and use your other hand to guide the airbag out. With my S3, no matter how hard I engage the clip, the airbag wouldn't pop out the way folks made it look in the video. I struggled for an hour! Turns out, I just had to pry the edge with my finger tips (grime had created a seal preventing it from 'popping' out) and it came right off. SOooo much aggravation.

Here's a good video that shows the three holes:

It doesn't look you need to open the viewing holes - again, you're looking for the three small holes behind the wheel (good idea to turn the wheel 90 degree or even 180 - i.e. upside down, to get better access to them).
The Following User Says Thank You to Re_Invention For This Useful Post:
Krokodil (05-10-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 11:49 PM   #92
Re_Invention

On second thought maybe that video isn't as helpful.

Krok - post back up if you're still having trouble and I'll try to make a quick video for ya. And be sure you have the battery disconnected before attempting!

As far as updates go to the BRZ I did receive my Lathewerks angled shifter extender. The piece itself is fine, as described and fairly priced for a custom piece. It is too long, in my opinion, and naturally now the car feels like shifting a school bus with about as much feel as an aircooled bug i.e. it is ridiculously vague. BUT it is much closer to me and gets into third gear comfortably with the harness on.

I've tried running it for a few days to get comfortable with it (definitely not a looker) but hit a snag on the second day:

BSD/VSC error message. No codes. When I start the car up the VSC image is on permanently, I get the error message after a few seconds of movement, then I get the blind spot detection malfunction message all through the TFT. When I hook up the OBD reader there are no codes, however. Strange. But Subaru definitely knows about it - I got an email from the dealership I purchased it from saying they got notification of an imminent error message and to come in ASAP for servicing. Being that I'm 500 miles away that isn't going to happen but I did book an appointment with the local dealership for this Friday to get it checked out.

The car drives fine, however, it will not enter race mode or disable VSC when I press the buttons. Stomping the brakes makes ABS still kick in, though. I'm in the dark as to what is causing it.

Thinking on recent work; I did rlca and toe arms, new wheels/tires without sensors, and removed the rear bumper when installing the rear draw stiffener. The battery was unhooked for that (disconnect the rear light/proximity sensor cable). And I have cycled the battery off for 60 min and restarted, still no change - the error message is on the moment the ignition fires over. My conclusion is if there is some sort of radar sensor there that is malfunctioning, potentially a camera/proximity sensor? Do our limited manual trans cars even have that??? I ran the car twice in about a 30 hour span after reinstalling the rear bumper without an error. Maybe something came loose over time.

The other thing I found a little remarkable - the TPMS system only recently is throwing me -- for my aftermarket wheels. I've put on easily 120+ miles on my racing wheels and rubber which do not have tire pressure sensors in them - I figure I'd live with the light for the track. But I was surprised I never got any flack from the computer, up until I received the VSC error message; I switched over to the tire pressure menu page and saw the old 33-34psi readings from last time, then it blanked out and beeped with the low pressure warning, now it's -- out the whole time.

I'll throw on the factory wheels with pressure sensors, run it a bit, maybe remove the rear bumper again and double check it all out then head to the dealer to get it checked out on Friday. Bummed I'm supposed to be participating on the nice cruise Saturday morning

As far as the shifter goes - it has convinced me I want the CAE shifter in ASAP. I'm going to wait until someone else is the guinea pig first as I don't have much experience with how these units should work.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2022, 01:05 PM   #93
rawpoly

Drives: 22 WRB BRZ M6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Are steering spacers safe? I.e. do they change crash dynamics? I.e. is there any downside to doing this?

As a 6ft 1 guy if my steering wheel came a little bit closer to me it would be perfect and this seems like the obvious solution.
rawpoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:22 PM   #94
Re_Invention

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawpoly View Post
Are steering spacers safe? I.e. do they change crash dynamics? I.e. is there any downside to doing this?

As a 6ft 1 guy if my steering wheel came a little bit closer to me it would be perfect and this seems like the obvious solution.
As a rule of thumb; assume any modification to the safety system is going to be less safe. The airbag is gonna be several inches closer to your face and have the same discharge energy. Probably gonna break a nose, likely a few more bones, worst case it'll kill ya.

Good to ask though. Get data, think about it, get data more data, think about it some more then decide your own risk level comfort.

And the same goes for most changes to a car for that matter. Anything can deviate from the 'design as intended' line of thinking and have serious consequences in the event of an accident.

Why would/do I do it? Same reason I ride motorcycles and the same reason I do not do high performance driving events on big tracks anymore; acceptance/comfort with specific risk profiles. My completely biased and unaccredited thoughts on the spacer: I think I'd sit a similar distance to the airbag with/without the spacer (it's purpose is to slide the seat back for more knee room), so I don't see it creating a significantly different circumstance in the event of a crash.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:25 PM   #95
Krokodil

Quote:
Hi Krokodil,

949racing did the swap when I brought the car to them for test fitting, I elected to keep it on once they confirmed it fit. So full disclosure - I didn't do the swap myself.

That being said; it looks no different than the S3 or NC miata in principal.

Get a small philips screw driver and locate the three holes BEHIND the steering wheel. Engage the retainer clip and use your other hand to guide the airbag out. With my S3, no matter how hard I engage the clip, the airbag wouldn't pop out the way folks made it look in the video. I struggled for an hour! Turns out, I just had to pry the edge with my finger tips (grime had created a seal preventing it from 'popping' out) and it came right off. SOooo much aggravation.

Here's a good video that shows the three holes:

It doesn't look you need to open the viewing holes - again, you're looking for the three small holes behind the wheel (good idea to turn the wheel 90 degree or even 180 - i.e. upside down, to get better access to them).
Thanks.
This video is helpful.
There are no three holes on 2nd gen steering.
Properly located 3 holes would be convenient.
However 2 rectangular access windows is all you get on 2nd gen.
And this exact video is showing how painful it is to push all 3 springs through 2 windows even when airbag is already removed and you can clearly see what you are doing.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:00 PM   #96
rawpoly

Drives: 22 WRB BRZ M6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
As a rule of thumb; assume any modification to the safety system is going to be less safe. The airbag is gonna be several inches closer to your face and have the same discharge energy. Probably gonna break a nose, likely a few more bones, worst case it'll kill ya.

Good to ask though. Get data, think about it, get data more data, think about it some more then decide your own risk level comfort.

And the same goes for most changes to a car for that matter. Anything can deviate from the 'design as intended' line of thinking and have serious consequences in the event of an accident.

Why would/do I do it? Same reason I ride motorcycles and the same reason I do not do high performance driving events on big tracks anymore; acceptance/comfort with specific risk profiles. My completely biased and unaccredited thoughts on the spacer: I think I'd sit a similar distance to the airbag with/without the spacer (it's purpose is to slide the seat back for more knee room), so I don't see it creating a significantly different circumstance in the event of a crash.
Wouldn't it be the same as if I have the bodytype in which my face is closer to the wheel?
rawpoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:43 PM   #97
Re_Invention

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawpoly View Post
Wouldn't it be the same as if I have the bodytype in which my face is closer to the wheel?
Maybe? I don't know, I'm not qualified to give a meaningful answer on that (never take advice from strangers online anyway!).

If you're looking for reassurance - do not get the spacer. Play it straight to oem specifications and you won't have to worry the problem.

My thoughts to the question; your ergonomic seating position and natural relative limb/torso distances are probably going to fall into whatever 75% bell curve the engineers designed the safety system for (or whatever that target was). If you're artificially changing a dimension to what is expected, you'd be disrupting the layout the manufacture had intended for the system to work with. Again, I'm not qualified to answer the question (I have a music degree, btw )

Consider this; you could drive right now with your feet crammed into the pedal box and face/chest against the wheel or even with your feet on the dash, and in the event of an accident you'll likely be worse off than just sitting how the engineers expect you to sit, right? No spacer needed for extra damages
The Following User Says Thank You to Re_Invention For This Useful Post:
rawpoly (05-10-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 02:12 PM   #98
949 Racing
FT86Club Official Vendor

Drives: Miata, GT350, FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
I am interested in buying a 2022 BRZ base to replace both my 13 FRS and 09 335d but the seating position is terrible compared to my 13 FRS and previous 14 BRZ. I like to sit quite upright and close-ish to the wheel and find my head has zero room for a helmet (not even enough head room without a helmet) and my right knee hits the column plastic with it all the way up. I figure minimum an inch lower is what I need to consider the car, but I also am not sure what’s going to be involved wiring/warning light defeat wise to change seats and brackets.
Old thread but I thought it pertinent..

https://949racing.com/Steering-Spacer-86.aspx