follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
Ha1i8ut2

Drives: 2015 brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mysterious failing turn signal PLEASE HELP!!

so recently i had an issue with my car that ended with me replacing my main chassis harness. upon completion i fixed the issue and everything works now. except for my turn signals. I bought new vland healdights to replace my old spec ds that almost burnt thr car down (long story). but now i get no turn signals, and no drls. checking power i get power to the actual bulb wires but nothing else. worth mentioning that the new vlands did not come with bulbs. i wasnt sure if there had to be a bulb in the socket in order for the turn and drls to work. but then when i was driving down the road i could see in the reflection of cars in front of me that the turn signals were on. they would only come on when the car was moving and they would act like a drl. no sequential action, no response from the turn signal actuator or anything. i replace the flasher assembly after thinking it might have gotten fried but to no avail. im pretty lost as to how to address this and would love any help that can be offered. and yes before you ask. i have checked and verified all my fuses and found none blown that are related to the turn signals. thanks again

little update
went out to try diagnosing again and i was able to determine something. the turn signals come on when the ebrake is dropped. maybe the drl and turn signal is wired backwards? i know your probably thinking oh this dumb kid just wired it backwards. after revisiting the wires which i was given no instructions to. reversing the wire colors and connections i can get the drls to work just like their supposed to when the e brake is down. but still no turn signals. rears work fine but no fronts. no power to the plug either. im not sure if there is something im missing or if its going to take a trip to the dealer to fix it.

Last edited by Ha1i8ut2; 06-27-2020 at 03:04 PM.
Ha1i8ut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Sounds like you've already figure it out. They're wired as DRL.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:24 PM   #3
Ha1i8ut2

Drives: 2015 brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Turn signals still don't work. They aren't getting any power to the harness.
Ha1i8ut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:10 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha1i8ut2 View Post
Turn signals still don't work. They aren't getting any power to the harness.
If the DRL and turn signal come on when the brake is down, they're getting power from somewhere. Are you testing for power with the ebrake down or up?
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote