follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 08-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #29
Jidonsu

Drives: Scion FR-S | 6MT | Ultramarine
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Hmm okay the M198S I showed you in the other thread can be had for the low price of 495 + possible 10% discount...should I just pull the trigger? Slightly unnerving knowing that a significant chunk of my bank account balance is in 2 watches.
For that price, I'd rather pick up a Tissot Visodate. It's Swiss, automatic, can be had for less than 450 on Jomashop brand new. The black dial is even cheaper. You can sign up for a $20 off coupon too. Since you're worried about spending that much of your bank account balance on a watch, the Tissot makes a great buy since you can resell it without losing much if you ever need cash (or want to switch watches). I buy and sell watches fairly frequently, and this would be a smart move.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #30
SS4goku

Drives: BRZ tS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
For that price, I'd rather pick up a Tissot Visodate. It's Swiss, automatic, can be had for less than 450 on Jomashop brand new. The black dial is even cheaper. You can sign up for a $20 off coupon too. Since you're worried about spending that much of your bank account balance on a watch, the Tissot makes a great buy since you can resell it without losing much if you ever need cash (or want to switch watches). I buy and sell watches fairly frequently, and this would be a smart move.

That's one aesthetic watch and the auto movement is a plus. I will look into this thanks.
SS4goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #31
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post

Ooh that's nice, but I am looking for a thin watch. But yea 495 is hard for something that's very hard to resell in the States. I really want to pull the trigger on the newer M201S after staring at plain smooth white dials a bit and deciding I like them, but I feel like there's something about the recessed center design that is stopping me.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #32
serialk11r

Garage
Argh, watch troubles... none of the budget Japanese mechanical watches have la nice clean classic pattern without fat ugly markers except the Orient esteem and another one that I just don't really like. However the Esteem only comes in gold (tacky) or black :/
Old 08-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #33
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm a big fan of the Tokyoflash watches. I have the maze watch that I wear regularly.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #34
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Argh, watch troubles... none of the budget Japanese mechanical watches have la nice clean classic pattern without fat ugly markers except the Orient esteem and another one that I just don't really like. However the Esteem only comes in gold (tacky) or black :/
How thin?

Did you look at the Orient Symphony? Looks like an Esteem that gets rid of the open heart. More colour variations, too. Problem is it's 41mm, and I agree with you that dress watches shouldn't be too big.

On a fun size comparison note I picked up an old Medalist women's watch when I bought that Timex because I was mesmerized by how small it is and still has sweep center seconds (tiny women's watches usually don't). Engineering marvel.

Here's a size comparison with my Orient Excursionist (45mm):

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #35
serialk11r

Garage
Orient symphony has ugly large markers (okay, medium size), do not like. I like sharp markers or thin markers.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #36
serialk11r

Garage
Okay I think I might just buy a cheapo skeleton because I realized I love looking at the movement and the watch I really want (M201s) doesn't have a clear back. Maybe in a year they'll update that watch and I'll like it more. I also want that turbillon someday too.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #37
MmmHamSandwich
You know you want it.

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Ball Night Train.

Sorry, I overcooked HDR on the first image.

Currently on a matching PVD band. Thank god for whoever decided to make these in 21mm. Sorry, only have a picture taken with my LG potato.

Aaaand the main reason I got it...

I am a gunmetal and tritium whore. I recently got a Sig Sauer P238 in Nitron with night sights.

Also is my dad's old Omega that has seen better days. It has lived a long hard life. Would love to restore it for him. Now that my career situation has improved maybe I will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
Wouldn't mind getting a strap and Panerai style clasp as well like this one:

Sexy. I wanted to get a DiModell Tornado for mine but my wrist is too small. That and leather doesn't hold up too well on the job.

The Following User _________ Stay_Puft(09-13-2014)
Says Thank You to
MmmHamSandwich For
This Useful Post:

Last edited by MmmHamSandwich; 08-09-2013 at 03:50 PM.
MmmHamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MmmHamSandwich For This Useful Post:
Dimman (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #38
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Funnt, but that's a clock, not a watch.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #39
MrSlay

Drives: Gx 460, FRS, Prius
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sweet thread. Love watches!!!
Out of town, but I had these pics on my phone

Raymond Weil Freelancer

One of the Fossel's I use as a beater

Another Fossel

Victorinox
15 Gx 460
My YouTube Channel
MrSlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #40
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Orient symphony has ugly large markers (okay, medium size), do not like. I like sharp markers or thin markers.
I'd do this if it was $300 tops. As it is it's still in SARB price range and I'd pull the trigger on a Cocktail Time over it anyday.

But if you can get a good deal, this fits your 39mm slim case, and thin indices criteria. And, as I've mentioned, I love small seconds. Personally I'd put this on a leather strap with deployant clasp

http://www.seagullwatch.com/proview.asp?id=420

Edit: Given the price difference between factory site and Goodstuffs, this is probably available somewhere for $120. Find it for that price and I may buy my first Chinese watch.

Edit 2: Or I can save up for a Nomos Orion 38mm with date. Let's go with option 2.

Because titanium.

Last edited by Dimman; 08-09-2013 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Edit.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:33 AM   #41
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Edit: Given the price difference between factory site and Goodstuffs, this is probably available somewhere for $120. Find it for that price and I may buy my first Chinese watch.
I've never seen a Seagull branded ST17 watch anywhere but on Chinese sites before. You can probably get that one pretty cheap in China.

The thing about the Seiko SARB is I like them but I haven't seen a super good deal yet. 500 on a watch still makes me uncomfortable, unless it's something extra spiced up (in which case I'd love to buy the watch but it wouldn't be wise to throw down the cash). 300 is stomachable, but I'd have to REALLY like it, and the M201S doesn't cut it because it feels a little wrong to have a beautifully finished relatively high end movement that you can't admire through the back.

I think I'm going to get the cheapo skeleton because it would indulge my craving for seeing watch innards at a price that I don't feel bad about.

Damnit, my watch wishlist has grown so much this week I want:
Some kind of tourbillon, Seagull 818.900 fits the bill I suppose.
JLC Master Control
older styled Patek Calatrava with the sharp pointy looking hands, saw one on Ebay
A Grand Seiko
Seagull M198S

Yea, I like dress watches. Hate chronos and divers.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:48 AM   #42
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
I've never seen a Seagull branded ST17 watch anywhere but on Chinese sites before. You can probably get that one pretty cheap in China.

The thing about the Seiko SARB is I like them but I haven't seen a super good deal yet. 500 on a watch still makes me uncomfortable, unless it's something extra spiced up (in which case I'd love to buy the watch but it wouldn't be wise to throw down the cash). 300 is stomachable, but I'd have to REALLY like it, and the M201S doesn't cut it because it feels a little wrong to have a beautifully finished relatively high end movement that you can't admire through the back.

I think I'm going to get the cheapo skeleton because it would indulge my craving for seeing watch innards at a price that I don't feel bad about.

Damnit, my watch wishlist has grown so much this week I want:
Some kind of tourbillon, Seagull 818.900 fits the bill I suppose.
JLC Master Control
older styled Patek Calatrava with the sharp pointy looking hands, saw one on Ebay
A Grand Seiko
Seagull M198S
SARBs are one of the few watches that are realistically retail priced. The MSRP in Japan is ~400-500 bucks depending on model, and that is all you will ever see them for online, too. They are absolutely worth it.

I got my SARB033 used, but in 95%+ condition for $300 and I'm thrilled with it. Everything just feels 'right', plus it's my most accurate mechanical.

Because titanium.

Tags
watches