follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2023, 10:11 AM   #141
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
I like the Polestar 2 but hate that it looks so lifted.

Honestly it reminds me a lot of a lifted WRX that's EV (cough cough Subaru).
You're kind of right, at least from the back.

The Volvo C40 looks to offer a good package, the base in Canada at least, includes a panoramic roof rather than having to pay $10K extra for it in an upgrade package with tech I really don't need as is the case for the XC40, which is essentially the same vehicle with a bigger rear cargo volume, but it also looks less funky, (BMW X4-like).

I would never stand beside my car while parking it thru the key fob aside from maybe once.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:49 PM   #142
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Not really new. I already knew that. They are just now really delivering them in "mass" although nowhere near full production admittedly. They are up to somewhere around VIN 2500.

The had two delivery holds for software reasons in 2022, and now are delivering them, including SuperCruise activated.

As far as Model Y sales, well good for Tesla and those that like their style. Not my thing.
The number was 86

That’s it, calling you.
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stonehorsw For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-06-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 04:43 PM   #143
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
The number was 86

That’s it, calling you.
Hah, OK, now I get it...

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 08:59 PM   #144
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Cadillac delivered 968 LYRIQs in 1Q23, with most of them being in February and March. These were primarily the Debut Edition models, but there were a handful of 2023 model ones delivered as well.

They have built up to about 2,500 but the remainder are not delivered pending a software update required before delivery that is now in production.

Production models are also now being delivered with SuperCruise where applicable.

Some 2024 waitlisters have been given allocations for the "Tech" model as well.

Old 06-03-2023, 10:28 AM   #145
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

The dealer where I have my order called on Friday and offered me their "Customer Experience" LYRIQ for the weekend. Had to jump on that.

First impressions, it is every bit the "luxury car" ride that most reviewers said it was. It is also eeriely quite, more so than any other EV I've ridden in. Basically all you hear is the slightest bit of tire noise, and the fake acceleration noises (which I need to figure out how to turn off).

Everything feels top notch, except maybe the control dial in the console. It does have the "hefty" feel I would want.

The best part is SuperCruise. That's some serious black magic there. Of course, it doesn't work on every road, but on my 40 mile commute made up of state roads including some two lane, it covered about 75% of it, including a good portion of the two lane roads.

I'll admit I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown using it on the two-lane road, but it performed flawlessly. Also gave plenty of notice when it had to turn over the controls. It maintained a good distance on either type of road, and "self passed" perfectly on the four lane (I don't think it will do it on a two lane). It even handled a situation where a car in front of me made a last second right turn. It slowed down and changed lanes to avoid it.

Acceleration is better than the FRS (no surprise there even with it's EV slow 5.7sec 0-60) but is definitely tuned towards luxury from a standstill. The power comes on "gradually" then really picks up after about 30MPH, almost like turbo lag. Response is immediate though when passing or accelerating at speed. Sport mode is a little more aggressive.

The AWD version that I have on order does 0-60 in 4.6 seconds per Car and Driver, so that's plenty of a kick in the pants for a 6K lb car that I'm not going to track.

Overall, there is nothing from the test drive so far that makes me NOT want the car, well except maybe to price, but that is helped by $13,500 reduction from a combination of the tax credit, and the Cadillac "sorry we didn't build it when we promised" private offer, and the recent change that lets you take a $1,000 credit for a 22" wheel delete (they now allow the 20" wheels on the Sport 3).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (06-03-2023), Lantanafrs2 (06-03-2023), spike021 (06-03-2023), wbradley (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 03:32 PM   #146
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
So, are you going to be that guy who is fast asleep at the wheel on Supercruise,? I hope not. (Of course not)

I saw police body cam footage where a man in a Tesla was bombing down an interstate in CA with his head flopped over to one side. The cop couldn't get the guy to wake up until he pulled right up alongside the driver side window and hit the sirens repeatedly. Of course the man denied he was asleep on autopilot but the touchscreen indicated autopilot was ON.

It's a nice vehicle and if I was selling real estate or something where image was important it would be a great choice. I personally would need to put on sufficient mileage to financially justify going all electric. Some people will happily add $10-$15k to the cost of their vehicle purely to be good to the environment. But in reality everybody wants some perks for their money. Probably why electric SUVs do 4.5s 0-60 times when the same vehicles electronically governed for decent but not too extreme acceleration would no doubt test for consistently longer range, which is supposed to the the most important parameter for electric vehicles. So the perk is you can smoke almost any gas vehicle if you want to.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:09 AM   #147
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
So, are you going to be that guy who is fast asleep at the wheel on Supercruise,? I hope not. (Of course not)
In theory, you can't do that with SuperCruise. It monitors you to make sure you are "paying attention" and if you look away long enough, or if it detects your eyes are closed, it first alerts you through various means, then eventually brings the car to a stop.

Quote:
I personally would need to put on sufficient mileage to financially justify going all electric. Some people will happily add $10-$15k to the cost of their vehicle purely to be good to the environment.
One of the things that attracted me to the LYRIQ is the price. There might be a small bit of increase in price, but for the most part it's price is in line with most other luxury cars (ICE or EV) of the same class, even more so when I subtract the various discounting/credits from it. If I went with the lowest version with SuperCruise it would be @$50,000. Without SuperCruise it would net out at as little as @$46,000.

Old 06-04-2023, 12:37 PM   #148
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
I saw a YouTube video where this man purchased a Tesla Model 3 well optioned and took delivery in 2017, the first model year. He has since driven around 25K miles (40,000 kms) per year and has logged all maintenance and repair out of warranty costs as well as logged at home Tesla tech van mobile repairs done.

He then took the retail price of a comparable fully equipped top of the line Toyota Camry, calculated the 4 year overall fuel and maintenance cost and compared it to his 4 years with the Tesla and charging costs at home and away.

Overall, based on his yearly mileage, his overall cost was equal to what the Camry would have cost. Of course he was being kinder to the environment, funding technology for that purpose and enjoying a quick car with the latest tech including the autopilot option.

For myself, at around 7,000 miles/year for my year round car it really made zero sense. Otherwise I think electric is awesome. Funny enough, Volvo is committed to going all electric within a couple of years. In the meantime all they stick with is the same 2L for all their gas powered vehicles. And this year for 2023 they removed the tailpipe cutouts from the rear bumper so you cannot see the exhaust at all on the V60s. They don't want to boldly display that they are carbon emitters. If I didn't need to trade, their plugin, also with a 1 year wait time and tons of power would have been 10/10 for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-04-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 06:20 PM   #149
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

@wbradley Honestly, my interest in the LYRIQ is only about 5% EV. If they offered the same car with their twin turbo V6 from the CT5-V I'd buy it. We need the "station wagon" space the LYRIQ has. The CT5-V doesn't have the storage we need.

Old 06-04-2023, 07:09 PM   #150
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
@wbradley Honestly, my interest in the LYRIQ is only about 5% EV. If they offered the same car with their twin turbo V6 from the CT5-V I'd buy it. We need the "station wagon" space the LYRIQ has. The CT5-V doesn't have the storage we need.
It will still feel better knowing you will not be putting out CO2 when you're driving. Plus you can use 1 pedal braking!
Dadhawk (06-05-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 10:20 AM   #151
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Well, my order is finally moving forward.

After being #1 at my dealer for almost 11 weeks, finally got the allocation today, moving me towards production.

There had been a delivery/order hold while GM dealt with an issue with OTA updates involving SuperCruise. That has now been resolved and orders/deliveries are picking back up.

At this point, I am kind of hoping the delivery will not be until after 1/1/2024 as that is when you will get the tax credit at point of sale.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
wbradley (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 04:07 PM   #152
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Back in the late 80's when I sold Cadillacs, GM's sales motto was, "Easy to buy, a pleasure to own".

Nowadays, not so easy to buy.

In 2 years I predict they'll have them on the lots.

An older Chinese man was informed by his ophthalmologist that he had a cataract, to which he replied, "Actually, I have a Rincoln Continental".
Old 10-27-2023, 07:36 AM   #153
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
In 2 years I predict they'll have them on the lots.
Actually they have them on the lots now, it's just they are the "Tech" and Sport 1, and Luxury 1 trims.

Oddly enough the Tech version is missing all the "Tech". No noise cancelling, no SuperCruise, as are the two level 1 trims.

they are on the lot because no one with preorder wants them and didn't preorder them. The preorders (May 18-19, 2022) were all for the 2023 edition which is roughly equivalent to a 2 level Sport/Luxury and while those that were carried over to 2024 (and received a $5,000 discount to do so that comes close to keeping price equity with a L2) could have ordered the lower trims, must stayed with L2 or L3.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
wbradley (10-27-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 11:05 AM   #154
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Here's a little something on the suspension and looking underneath while on the lift fom the perspective of what appears to be an automotive engineer and pretty detailed. 25 minutes.

It's a nice vehicle. Almost everything GM puts out will be a downgradad."baby" version of this, and here is the aspirational model. For example the Buick Envista.

Dadhawk (11-22-2023)