follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Delicious Tuning Q & A - FlexFuel BlueTooth Kits for EcuTeK ProECU RaceROM

Hi All,

We finally got our shiznit together and we are now offering a full solution for the FRS/BRZ/86 that is true plug and play, and has the coolest feature being able to view your ethanol content over an Android or IPhone application.

The Delicious Tuning FlexFuel BlueTooth Kit (FFBT) takes all the guess work out of determining what the ethanol/gasoline (petrol) ratio is in your vehicle. Our FlexFuel system dynamically determines the content ratio between gasoline and ethanol content in the fuel. It then sends a signal to the ECU which in turn computes the correct air/fuel ratios, ignition timing values, boost levels, cam angles, traction control and more based on the ethanol content.

We offer a couple variances in our kits for various reasons and here are the two options in respect to OEM versus Race Spec fitment.

OEM Fitment Style
- The OEM fitment style Delicious Tuning FFBT comes with ethanol compatible nylone hose and OEM compatible quick disconnect fittings. We recommend this package to those looking for a daily driver or light track use at a more economical price.

Race Spec Fitment Style
- The Race Spec fitment style Delicious Tuning FFBT comes with black stainless steel braided fuel lines, and AN race performance fittings. We recommend this package for those looking for heavier track use or want to keep with a higher end installation option.

Delicious Tuning FlexFuel BlueTooth Kit includes:

- Delicious Tuning FlexFuel Ethanol Content Analyzer with Integrated BlueTooth
- Delicious Tuning Smart Phone Applications (available February 2015, IPhone to follow in 2015)
- Delicious Tuning Hand Assembled and Pressure Tested Fuel Lines
- Delicious Tuning Mounting Bracket and Hardware
- Delicious Tuning Plug and Play Harness
- Continental Flex Fuel Sensor

Testimonials & Reviews
- Michele Abbate's Race Car runs the Delicious Tuning's Flex Fuel Package to get the most out of her vehicle to compete at the level needed for racing in the professional USTCC series.

- 2014 Scion Tuner Challenge Winner runs the Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel Module Package. The Speed Hunters and GT Channel built vehicles both run our FlexFuel kit.

- DSport Magazine November 2014 issue was impressed with their 2013 FRS running an Innovate / Sprintex Supercharger pushing well above the 300 whp on a DynoJet.

- Matt Farah's YouTube Review - Subaru BRZ w/ Ethanol & Bolt-Ons - (Snake) One Take. Matt Farah reviews our Stage 1 Flex Fuel Tune and Delicious Tuning's Flex Fuel Module Kit.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTmx7kA1XrA"]Subaru BRZ w/ Ethanol & Bolt-Ons - (Snake) One Take - YouTube[/ame]

- Worlds Fastest Stock Interior / Full Trim Scion FRS 1/4 Mile 13.58 @ 100 mph. Proves the point the Delicious Tuning FlexFuel Kit works even for the fastest.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCFOM4fuWSM"]13.58 sec. Delicious Tuning and PPE Header N/A FRS Breaks 100mph in the 1/4 mi - YouTube[/ame]

- Basic Overview of the Delicious Tuning FFBT Installation

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qAylyfxnyw"]Installing Delicious Tuning's Stage 1 Flex Fuel Kit (Subaru Brz) - YouTube[/ame]

For more detailed information you may look on this thread or on our website: Delicious Tuning - FFBT

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning

Last edited by DeliciousTuning; 06-18-2015 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Grammer
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
AceHeader-MT (03-09-2015), BA9092 (05-24-2019), brianhj (01-22-2015), clayrush (12-16-2014), Draco_PR23 (01-26-2015), gabeg86 (12-22-2014), GT86_PRAGUE (06-03-2015), whataboutbob (12-30-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 10:44 PM   #2
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is the difference between E85 and FlexFuel? I thought they were the same thing…

- E85 is certain concentration of fuel, being between 68-85% ethanol and the remaining portion gasoline legally. So when you fill up you do not know exactly what you are getting.

- FlexFuel informs the ECU (engine control unit) through unique sensors and electronics added to the vehicle to measure the actual content of Ethanol. Knowing the content allows the ECU to determine proper start up enrichment, fueling, timing, boost and cam control.

Isn’t this the same thing as switching between different tunes provided by a professional tuner?

- No, it is not the same. With just E85 and 91 octane tunes, you may receive a very good tune based on that exact ethanol content it was tuned for. What happens when you need to fill up with 91 octane on a road trip? What is you were tuned for E85 but the pump you filled from changed to E68 for the winter blend? What is your ethanol content and what tune do you use?

So Delicious Tuning FlexFuel allows me to fill up with any quantity of petrol and/or ethanol?

- Yes, with FlexFuel all the guessing is gone, just fill up and go.

How hard is it to install the Delicious Tuning FlexFuel BlueTooth Kit?

- The Delicious Tuning FlexFuel kit is as easy opening the hood to your engine, disconnecting two fuel lines with the provided tool, disconnecting one sensor, installing our own mounting bracket and plugging the new connections into your vehicle. The total install time should take no longer than 20-30 minutes.

Do I need to cut/splice/solder, or tamper with any of the OEM wires or hoses in the vehicle?

- No. Our specific kit is designed to plug into you factory harness and factory fuel lines, along with proper mounting brackets that make for an OEM look, feel and finish. No need to run wires through the firewall, no need to lift the vehicle. Just pop your hood, plug in and go.

Can my vehicle be returned to stock by simply removing the system?

- Yes, your vehicle can be returned to completely stock by removing our installation package. No wires are spliced no hoses cut, remove our mounting bracket, just unplug our system and plug your OEM system back in.

Do I need anything else besides the Delicious Tuning FlexFuel Kit to run E85?

- Yes, you will need the EcuTeK Pro ECU Kit and FlexFuel Tune from an EcuTeK Pro Tuner (such as ourselves) and a vehicle that is supported by EcuTeK FlexFuel RaceROM features.

- You may view all our FlexFuel offerings on our website here:

Do I need two tunes with FlexFuel, one for E85 and one for gasoline (petrol)?

- No, you only need one tune for our FlexFuel package. Our tunes are designed to determine the proper engine parameters based on the ethanol content of the fuel. Reflash your vehicle with our tune, pump in whatever fuel you choose and go.

Why do I need to retune my OEM engine management?

- Delicious Tuning implements additional custom designed tables into the stock engine management system to properly adjust for optimal air/fuel ratios, ignition timing values, boost levels, cam angles, traction control and much more based on the actual ethanol content.

What is the benefit of Ethanol?

- Higher equivalent octane rating of 105

- Cleaner burning fuel, for cleaner emissions

- Cools the engine quickly, great for hot climates

What are the drawbacks of Ethanol?

- Fuel economy will drop about 30-35% with a blend of pure E85

- You will need the ability to retune the OEM engine management system in the vehicle.

- Cold climate starting will be harder due to poor atomization properties of ethanol.

Can I run my own mix of on an E85 tune (not FlexFuel), such as E50?

- A tuned designed around an E85 mix but run on an equivalent E50 mix can cause the ignition timing values to be aggressively high which can cause pre-detonation or ignition knock.

- In some vehicles where the ECU is limited by the range air/fuel adaption will run rich and cause the car to stumble and run poorly throughout the power band and drivability.

How would I have an E50 (or similar) ratio mix in my tank after filling up?

- If you were switching from gasoline (91 octane) to E85 and you were not empty there is a good possibility the ethanol content mix would equate to an E50 (or similar) mix.

How do I view the ethanol content with the Delicious Tuning FlexFuel BlueTooth Kit?

- Download our Android (or IPhone) application and connect to the Delicious Tuning FFBT unit to view your ethanol content. ion and connect to the Delicious Tuning FFBT unit to view your ethanol content.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
brianhj (01-22-2015), Cal3000 (12-27-2014), Draco_PR23 (01-26-2015), FRS Justin (12-19-2014), gabeg86 (12-22-2014), Touge Factory (12-23-2014), whataboutbob (12-30-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

We are now working on a couple additional features for this system for next year also.

Available through our Android / iPhone application development.

1. Custom Boost Control - set the boost you want
2. Custom Traction settings that you can tweak as you want
3. Tweak the timing values on a 2D graph, Engine Load vs RPM
4. Tweak the fueling values on a 2D graph, Engine Load vs RPM

More to come...

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
brianhj (01-22-2015), DesertFrs (01-02-2015), Draco_PR23 (01-26-2015), whataboutbob (12-30-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
ntaphse

Drives: beater
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning View Post
We are now working on a couple additional features for this system for next year also.

Available through our Android / iPhone application development.

1. Custom Boost Control - set the boost you want
2. Custom Traction settings that you can tweak as you want
3. Tweak the timing values on a 2D graph, Engine Load vs RPM
4. Tweak the fueling values on a 2D graph, Engine Load vs RPM

More to come...

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
I want that app!!! Gimme.
ntaphse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Wow this is something else. The most complicated part at least to me about the flex fuel kit was the splicing and installing the display! Awesome!
Old 12-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
Wow this is something else. The most complicated part at least to me about the flex fuel kit was the splicing and installing the display! Awesome!
Yep, now you do not need to worry about that, at all. Just pop your hood, plug it in and close the hood. Takes about 20 minutes to install. No splicing, no cutting, not running wires for the display.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
The Following User Says Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (12-30-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
JDLAutoDesign

Drives: 13 FRS
Thanked 1,437 Times in 652 Posts
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Very cool!
JDLAutoDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Would love to see an OFT integration for this. Looks awesome.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phrosty For This Useful Post:
Celadrielas (02-10-2015)
Old 12-23-2014, 06:47 PM   #9
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Just curious, do I need the flex fuel kit to access all of the features, aside from seeing the ethanol ratio of course. Also, is the app already installed in the head units? Or can it be downloaded from somewhere?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #10
ymboc

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can you confirm what it would take to go from bone-stock to a complete 'Stage 1' Flex-Fuel Solution?

With the FlexFuel Bluetooth Kit already configured & added to the cart...

Do I need to add the 'Stage 1' (w Flex Fuel Option selected) or the 'Stage 1 FlexFuel or E85 Upgrade' to the cart?

I ask because I wonder if there isn't some overlap between the separate cart-item FlexFuelBluetoothKit and the $150 FlexFuel Option when configuring the basic Stage1 Tune.

Thanks
ymboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
Cal3000

Drives: Panda FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have a flexfuel kit already installed. Will I be able to retrofit my kit. Just swap my current wiring with your content analyzer?
Delicious Tuning
Cal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Just curious, do I need the flex fuel kit to access all of the features, aside from seeing the ethanol ratio of course. Also, is the app already installed in the head units? Or can it be downloaded from somewhere?
We are working on adding features to it through 2015. Currently it is just FlexFuel and we have a couple EcuTeK tuners testing out the additional features to see what they can come up with so we can develop it further.

We will basically have a couple of versions of the app. Ethanol content is the first app, but we are expanding into more apps which will have many more features as we stated down the road.

---

As for a complete package for FlexFuel and tune package you will need the following.

Stage 1 Package w/ FlexFuel Option or the Stage 2 w/ FlexFuel Option

Delicious Tuning FlexFuel BT Package

---

If you want to retrofit your current system with ours we can definitely make it happen. We could remover certain aspects of the package as long as everything fits. We would need to know what kit you have and what parts then need to be replaced to make it work correctly.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
The Following User Says Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (12-30-2014)
Old 12-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #13
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning View Post
We are working on adding features to it through 2015. Currently it is just FlexFuel and we have a couple EcuTeK tuners testing out the additional features to see what they can come up with so we can develop it further.

We will basically have a couple of versions of the app. Ethanol content is the first app, but we are expanding into more apps which will have many more features as we stated down the road.

---

As for a complete package for FlexFuel and tune package you will need the following.

Stage 1 Package w/ FlexFuel Option or the Stage 2 w/ FlexFuel Option

Delicious Tuning FlexFuel BT Package

---

If you want to retrofit your current system with ours we can definitely make it happen. We could remover certain aspects of the package as long as everything fits. We would need to know what kit you have and what parts then need to be replaced to make it work correctly.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
I think you miss understood. I have zero access to E85 and therefore have no desire to buy a flex fuel kit. I want to know if the app is already installed in the stereo that's sitting in my basement waiting for my car to come out of storage? Also, do I need a flex fuel kit to take advantage of the features of the app or will the stereo connect to the canbus without the flex fuel kit?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #14
megamarines

Drives: 2015 FR-S RS 1.0
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to megamarines
Question: Within the month I'm dropping the Jackson Supercharger in with the CARB Legal tune it comes with. Will this FlexFuel system addition work in tandem with it or will it error out? In addition, if I were to take said car to SMOG test with nothing but 91 Octane in it, will it fail or would the FlexFuel system go unnoticed in it? How about with E85?
megamarines is offline   Reply With Quote