follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2023, 06:29 PM   #1
lapsio

Drives: 2020 BRZ Final Edition, 1999 MX5 NB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
High HT/HS 5w30 oil recommendations for high temps?

Hi

I used to use Rock Oil Carbon Competition 5w30 oil in my BRZ and it was quite fine I guess. Spec sheet below:

https://oil-club.de/wcf/index.php?at...on-10w-50-pdf/

Unfortunately Rock Oil ceased distribution in Poland (and it seems also many other EU countries) so it's pretty difficult to get this oil now.. As such, since 6k km interval from last change is around corner, I'm looking for replacement. I'm looking for very high HT/HS oils since I'm typically getting high oil temperatures since I'm often driving at relatively high rpms to avoid torque dip @4k. Typically I'm having stable temps between 110-122 deg C on OEM temp sensor (which I know is fairly inaccurate but that's topic for another discussion) depending on season, weather and driving style. Some absolute max readings I temporarily got fell somewhere a bit below 130 but I'd count that as an exception rather than rule.

Rock Oil had HT/HS of 3.7 which as far as I know is very high so I'm probably looking for something similar.

Basing on thread I created some time ago and went through it again:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...=149288&page=5
It seems that Redline 5w30 should be quite similar in terms of high temperature protection right? Sorry for creating new thread but I didn't want to necrobump that old thread, especially since topic is no longer appropriate as I finally went with 5w30 instead of 10w50 (which made engine sound funky and I didn't feel safe using it xD).

Are there any other oils with high shear resistance and high HT/HS worth to consider? Is Redline still good option in 2023? There always seems to be Motul V300 but it has lower HT/HS iirc so I'm not sure which one would be safer in higher temps. For reference price of V300 and Redline is basically the same in Poland.

I'm not running oil cooler and most likely I won't be running cooler any soon because car is still on warranty and installing aftermarket cooler would void my warranty, hence I kinda have to rely on appropriate oil unfortunately...

Last edited by lapsio; 06-03-2023 at 11:50 PM.
lapsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 02:04 PM   #2
nissanfanatic

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Not sure if you have Castrol Edge 5w-30 available but they make an A3/B4. One of the requirements there is an HTHS of 3.5 or greater. Should be cheaper than the Redline or 300V, though I'd expect to change it more often as it will likely shear down faster.

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/6E381DAAE02AB64780257D540060FBE8/$File/BPXE-9P9HK3.pdf

They don't list the HTHS specifically, but from what I've seen on BITOG it's 3.5. And given the viscosity at 100*C that seems plausible (It's nearly a 40w).
nissanfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nissanfanatic For This Useful Post:
lapsio (06-04-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 10:37 PM   #3
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsio View Post
I'm not running oil cooler and most likely I won't be running cooler any soon because car is still on warranty and installing aftermarket cooler would void my warranty, hence I kinda have to rely on appropriate oil unfortunately...
lol wat

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 02:53 AM   #4
glhs386

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram
Any reason not to run a 0W-40? Redline HTHS is 4.0 and 300V is 3.9. Even if it shears down a little bit due to the higher viscosity index you're not any worse off than using an XW-30.
glhs386 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glhs386 For This Useful Post:
lapsio (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 05:42 PM   #5
lapsio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
lol wat
Europe man. We have really limited freedom in terms of car mods on all levels. Any unauthorized mechanical changes to car and mods void your extended warranty. In fact iirc even servicing in unauthorized workshop here may result in rejecting warranty in case something blows up. That's why we have authorized workshops here everywhere, that have certificates and those are allowed to perform "authorized" mods that do not void your warranty. Of course they charge 2x "street" price but you keep all warranties etc. I already asked about oil cooler and such workshop refused to install oil cooler for me under warranty (since it's not officially allowed by manufacturer). I've got 5 years extended warranty, 3 years still to go.

Suspension and stuff is relatively low risk so I don't really care about warranty here and I don't have anything against handling mods but engine is sketchy, I wouldn't like to cover replacement on my own in case it blows up xD

Fun fact - you know how US user manual tells you where are jacking points to lift BRZ? We don't have that in EU manual at all. Because you're "not supposed to do that on your own". The same about replacing xenon light bulbs and few other bs things...

I think at some point I'll just decide to screw all of that anyways but well... not yet.

Last edited by lapsio; 06-06-2023 at 06:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to lapsio For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-07-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 05:46 PM   #6
lapsio

Quote:
Originally Posted by glhs386 View Post
Any reason not to run a 0W-40? Redline HTHS is 4.0 and 300V is 3.9. Even if it shears down a little bit due to the higher viscosity index you're not any worse off than using an XW-30.
In EU user manual 5w-30 is listed as officially allowed oil (0w20 and 5w30) so nobody can tell me that there's engine damage due to using wrong spec oil. I guess only that :T

Last edited by lapsio; 06-06-2023 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:47 PM   #7
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quote:
Europe man. We have really limited freedom in terms of car mods on all levels. Any unauthorized mechanical changes to car and mods void your extended warranty. In fact iirc even servicing in unauthorized workshop here may result in rejecting warranty in case something blows up. That's why we have authorized workshops here everywhere, that have certificates and those are allowed to perform "authorized" mods that do not void your warranty. Of course they charge 2x "street" price but you keep all warranties etc. I already asked about oil cooler and such workshop refused to install oil cooler for me under warranty (since it's not officially allowed by manufacturer). I've got 5 years extended warranty, 3 years still to go.

Suspension and stuff is relatively low risk so I don't really care about warranty here and I don't have anything against handling mods but engine is sketchy, I wouldn't like to cover replacement on my own in case it blows up xD

Fun fact - you know how US user manual tells you where are jacking points to lift BRZ? We don't have that in EU manual at all. Because you're "not supposed to do that on your own". The same about replacing xenon light bulbs and few other bs things...

I think at some point I'll just decide to screw all of that anyways but well... not yet.
Wow, that sucks. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

Thank you for that information though, learned something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 08:11 PM   #8
nissanfanatic

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Quote:

but you do get the explicit track warranty tho, right? I'd prob take that trade. lol
nissanfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 12:23 AM   #9
glhs386

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram
Quote:
In EU user manual 5w-30 is listed as officially allowed oil (0w20 and 5w30) so nobody can tell me that there's engine damage due to using wrong spec oil. I guess only that :T
Working at a dealer, the only times I'm aware we denied engine warranty coverage were due to blatant lack of maintenance such as sludge and low oil levels. As long as it's clean and full we typically don't harass the customer about it, nor can we really prove they used a non-specified oil. Maybe things are different over there.

Last edited by glhs386; 06-07-2023 at 10:14 AM.
glhs386 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to glhs386 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (06-07-2023), lapsio (06-07-2023), ZDan (06-07-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 03:59 PM   #10
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I've never considered a vehicle warranty when deciding how to actually protect an engine in any car I've owned.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 06:50 PM   #11
ruturaj001

Drives: BRZ 2023
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Since I searched this topic recently, Castrol, Mobil1 and Pennzoil all make euro spec 5W30 that has 3.7, 3.5, 3.6 HT/HS.
ruturaj001 is offline   Reply With Quote