follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 04-20-2023, 02:44 PM   #4411
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Not just gaming, but those are the places I care about performance... I have a 5600x and just about everything else is up to supporting the x3d (x570, x4 m2 drives, 32gb 3600@14/14/14/28 timing...) Even have enough cooling. Is it worth $300 though... Maybe.

I would say yes, but, would wait for a type of sale, at $260 ish would be a steal.
cjd (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 04:59 PM   #4412
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Got my MSI Gaming Trio Classic 7900 XTX! I really did not think it would fit since NZXT says the max length of the H1v2 is 324mm. The MSI card is 325mm. Well, turns out, that's a conservative estimate because even then, there were still about 2-3mm of clearance! Card fits perfectly. Gonna download the latest drivers and test the card out and temps. I also need to stress test it since the minimum recommended PSU is 800W vs my 750W current. I'm sure I'll be fine with my 5600x, but yeah. I looks awesome!!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (04-20-2023), Wally86 (04-23-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 07:11 AM   #4413
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,317 Times in 4,120 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Gonna download the latest drivers
I realise this is late advice but....
There was a little bit of tech news about MSI drivers from non-MSI websites.
Non MSI websites had dodgy/corrupted drivers. Take away was to only download from the MSI website.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 07:24 AM   #4414
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I realise this is late advice but....
There was a little bit of tech news about MSI drivers from non-MSI websites.
Non MSI websites had dodgy/corrupted drivers. Take away was to only download from the MSI website.
I just downloaded them from the AMD site

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 04-22-2023, 12:11 PM   #4415
weederr33
Airborne at your service

So a little update about the 7900 XTX.

Thus far it's handled everything very well! Metro Exodus, GTA V, and Grid Legends have all run super smooth with no issues. Obviously the 7900 XTX gets much warmer than my 3070, especially in a SFF case. But it's been perfectly fine and cools off quickly once I'm done gaming. The MSI fans are much quieter than my Gigabyte was.

The H1V2 features a rear 92mm exhaust fan for the GPU and while quiet, it could use a bit of an upgrade. So I plan to get a Noctua NF-A9 to replace the stock NZXT fan. It is slightly quieter but can push much more air flow. Same with the AIO fan. I replaced it with a BeQuiet Light Wings fan, however to go with the build of black and white, I plan to pick up one of their new white light wing fans! Slowly upgrading this kit has been a blast for sure!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Spuds (04-22-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 08:29 PM   #4416
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
What resolution do you game at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 10:48 PM   #4417
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
What resolution do you game at?
1440p

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 04-23-2023, 12:19 PM   #4418
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Okay, day 3 of owning the card and now I'm seeing a few little knickknacks. I wouldn't call them 'issues' but they are for sure noteworthy.

First, I'm not sure if it's a driver thing or not-- probably-- but I've had my computer display have issues syncing/ registering my card. It's hard to explain, but my display settings will default to basic, my audio will stop functioning, and there will be some post issues. After restarting it resolved the first time, second time I had to reinstall the drivers. Super easy fix and didn't brick my computer, but a notable occurrence. this is probably the biggest "issue" I've had so far.

Second, a few of my games that would default to high or ultra settings on my 3070 are now at medium or low quality by default. Again, could be a driver thing or whatever. Good examples are Dead Space Remake, Cyberpunk, and oddly enough Mirrors Edge (the 2009 original). Mirrors Edge crashed the moment I put it on anything above 1280x960. Again, can't say if that's the 7900 XTX or in general since I haven't played that game in like 5-6 years.

Lastly, the 'glitches'. On Dead Space, once I adjusted the settings to high or ultra, I saw little black pixilation and tearing. It would also lag a bit. I'm guessing this is a bottleneck issue between the 5600x & 7900 XTX since this was not an issue when paired with my 3070. I played with some of the settings and it was still there just less frequent. On Cyberpunk, it's just low frame rates and lag. Again, probably being an AMD card and bottlenecking.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 04-23-2023, 10:56 PM   #4419
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
What's your video cable rated at? HDMI can be finicky as heck. I assume DP can be too and I'm suspecting them for my occasional issues but I couldn't even get HDMI to stay stable. Triple 1440, 5600x, 6800XT... Just had to get some certified 8k HDMI cables for the home theater and learned a lot trying to find the right stuff.
Old 04-24-2023, 06:53 AM   #4420
spcmafia

Quote:
Okay, day 3 of owning the card and now I'm seeing a few little knickknacks. I wouldn't call them 'issues' but they are for sure noteworthy.

First, I'm not sure if it's a driver thing or not-- probably-- but I've had my computer display have issues syncing/ registering my card. It's hard to explain, but my display settings will default to basic, my audio will stop functioning, and there will be some post issues. After restarting it resolved the first time, second time I had to reinstall the drivers. Super easy fix and didn't brick my computer, but a notable occurrence. this is probably the biggest "issue" I've had so far.

Second, a few of my games that would default to high or ultra settings on my 3070 are now at medium or low quality by default. Again, could be a driver thing or whatever. Good examples are Dead Space Remake, Cyberpunk, and oddly enough Mirrors Edge (the 2009 original). Mirrors Edge crashed the moment I put it on anything above 1280x960. Again, can't say if that's the 7900 XTX or in general since I haven't played that game in like 5-6 years.

Lastly, the 'glitches'. On Dead Space, once I adjusted the settings to high or ultra, I saw little black pixilation and tearing. It would also lag a bit. I'm guessing this is a bottleneck issue between the 5600x & 7900 XTX since this was not an issue when paired with my 3070. I played with some of the settings and it was still there just less frequent. On Cyberpunk, it's just low frame rates and lag. Again, probably being an AMD card and bottlenecking.

I saw you kept the 750W PSU, which is the minimum required for the card, but since you're trying to push most of the settings to Ultra, it may be that it is drawing for more power and causing your computer to go into thermal throttling.

I would begin with taking a look at your BIOS settings with your CPU. Enable DOCP and let the system decide what's best for performance by enabling the equivalent of "ASUS Optimal".

Did you delete all NVIDIA software prior to installing Adrenallin? It could be interfering with your display settings.

Are you using a DP instead of HDMI. When you have a card like that, DP is the way to go.

Did you use two separate power cables to power up the GPU, and not piggy-back off of one.
alphasaur (04-25-2023), cjd (04-24-2023), Wally86 (04-24-2023), weederr33 (04-24-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 08:10 AM   #4421
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
I saw you kept the 750W PSU, which is the minimum required for the card, but since you're trying to push most of the settings to Ultra, it may be that it is drawing for more power and causing your computer to go into thermal throttling.

I would begin with taking a look at your BIOS settings with your CPU. Enable DOCP and let the system decide what's best for performance by enabling the equivalent of "ASUS Optimal".

Did you delete all NVIDIA software prior to installing Adrenallin? It could be interfering with your display settings.

Are you using a DP instead of HDMI. When you have a card like that, DP is the way to go.

Did you use two separate power cables to power up the GPU, and not piggy-back off of one.
Interesting point on the PSU. I did plan to potentially upgrade it to one ASUS came out with and then get custom length cables. However it hasn’t tripped yet and thus far I’m only really pulling about 560w give or take during gaming.

I need to take a look at the BIOS but I believe I do have DOCP enabled.

I did uninstall everything from NVIDIA so that front is good.

And absolutely I’m using DP!

I did use all three dedicated cables for the card so that front is good so far.

All of my other games and such have been good. And the adrenaline app helps me monitor things. I do for sure have a bottleneck with the 5600x but it’s really not that bad of one from what I can tell.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 04-24-2023, 08:52 AM   #4422
spcmafia

Quote:
Interesting point on the PSU. I did plan to potentially upgrade it to one ASUS came out with and then get custom length cables. However it hasn’t tripped yet and thus far I’m only really pulling about 560w give or take during gaming.

I need to take a look at the BIOS but I believe I do have DOCP enabled.

I did uninstall everything from NVIDIA so that front is good.

And absolutely I’m using DP!

I did use all three dedicated cables for the card so that front is good so far.

All of my other games and such have been good. And the adrenaline app helps me monitor things. I do for sure have a bottleneck with the 5600x but it’s really not that bad of one from what I can tell.

Yeah at 560W that could be at certain stages of a game. Some GPUs can spike past their operating W, therefore triggering thermal throttling.

Might also want to check your "Advanced Display Settings" and check that your refresh rate matches the one of your monitor.

Take a look at power settings and setup a custom plan for when you're gaming.
weederr33 (04-24-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 09:49 AM   #4423
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
If you can I'd also be graphing temps and power draw. Make sure cables are fully seated and if your power supply supports two rail modes (mine does) make sure it's on the single 12v rail setting.
Problem exist with the case open and an external fan aimed at it?
Old 04-24-2023, 10:32 AM   #4424
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
If you can I'd also be graphing temps and power draw. Make sure cables are fully seated and if your power supply supports two rail modes (mine does) make sure it's on the single 12v rail setting.
Problem exist with the case open and an external fan aimed at it?
Thermals are fine. GPU usually sits around 65-75c, though for Cyberpunk it hit closer to 80c after about an hour lol. CPU is around 70c. So I’m not too worried about temps.

Cables and all are seated fine.

I’m pretty sure many of the issues are with the driver but I can’t say yet.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT

Tags
pc master race, u no have 3080