follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2017, 12:59 PM   #127
alxtheoreo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
I got 26.872. Paddle shifting is challenging, things are happening very quickly, and getting your apexes, AND braking, AND shifts correct at the same time is hard, especially in traffic. But it's fun.

Also, they need to iron out some problems. I did 8 races, 6 were supposed to be in manual/paddle shifter mode. Of those 6, once I was put in Auto, once I was in a kart that was stuck in gear 4, and once I got a kart that would only shift between 1 & 2, and then the paddle shifter broke.... But they replaced the kart for me, and also gave me a free race for the one when the kart was stuck in the 4th. I'll definitely come back, probably for the league as well.
I have a question about the shifting. Is it a legit way to control speed & acceleration, or is it a gimmick?

Also, is there a light or do I need to stare at the bar graph to know when to shift?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #128
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxtheoreo View Post
I have a question about the shifting. Is it a legit way to control speed & acceleration, or is it a gimmick?

I don't know how exactly is this done (i.e., is there an actual gear ratio change) but it feels that way. In 4th you have almost no acceleration at low speed, and 1st and 2nd you have no acceleration at high speed.

Also the shifts feel very physical, as if there was an actual gear change. Especially downshifts jerk the kart a bit (maybe I should do revmatching... no idea how though ;-) ).

Some people I know complained about it, that it unsettles the kart, and they prefer to drive in Auto (which one of the employees told me just keeps the kart in the 4th gear, but I suspect it's the 3rd). I think though that with good timing it can be used to your advantage. If you downshift in a hairpin, the momentary increase of braking from the downshift will add a bit of oversteer and help rotate the kart quicker. But I am still learning it.

Quote:
Also, is there a light or do I need to stare at the bar graph to know when to shift?
Only the bar graph, but it's pretty big and clear and the top is yellow and then red so I found it easy to follow. I had more trouble remembering about the second smaller boost graph. I initially disabled the annoying fake sound of these karts (by itself, they are quiet, quieter than at other Autobahn places, maybe they use belt instead of chain or something, this why the fake sound is added), but then I stopped as it may help to get the shifts right based on the sound, instead of looking at the graph.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #129
mdm
not a twin owner

As of today, Autobahn is saying they will heave a dual-facility league on Wednesdays 8 pm starting April 19. Alternating between Manassas and Dulles, first meeting 4/19 in Manassas.

Also, I am looking for team members for DR Superkarts' 4/29 enduro, let me know if are interested. So far I have only one team member except me (and he's not even 100% sure), and I think there should be 3-4 racers per team though 2 are technically allowed.

Full info: https://www.facebook.com/drsuperkart...85778968165686

I am also going to DR this Sunday pm (they open at 2 pm).
Old 03-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #130
alxtheoreo

Damn, that blows. Now I can't attend all the league events. Lol.
Quote:
As of today, Autobahn is saying they will heave a dual-facility league on Wednesdays 8 pm starting April 19. Alternating between Manassas and Dulles, first meeting 4/19 in Manassas.

Also, I am looking for team members for DR Superkarts' 4/29 enduro, let me know if are interested. So far I have only one team member except me (and he's not even 100% sure), and I think there should be 3-4 racers per team though 2 are technically allowed.

Full info: https://www.facebook.com/drsuperkart...85778968165686

I am also going to DR this Sunday pm (they open at 2 pm).

Old 03-22-2017, 12:45 AM   #131
mdm
not a twin owner

Quote:
Damn, that blows. Now I can't attend all the league events. Lol.
Wednesdays not food for you? Bummer!

How about DR, this Sunday, or the enduro, or both?
Old 03-22-2017, 09:52 AM   #132
alxtheoreo

Quote:
Wednesdays not food for you? Bummer!

How about DR, this Sunday, or the enduro, or both?
I could fudge in for Wednesday. I'll need to mess with my gym schedule.

For DR, if it's not going to rain, I'll join you this Sunday. I haven't been there.

The enduro sounds badass & I'm intrested. Don't count on me to register right away though. Lol

Old 03-22-2017, 01:00 PM   #133
mdm
not a twin owner

Quote:
For DR, if it's not going to rain, I'll join you this Sunday. I haven't been there.

The enduro sounds badass & I'm intrested. Don't count on me to register right away though. Lol

OK, let's be in touch about Sunday.

Unfortunately if it rains, they will most likely cancel the session. They are not as badass as kart racers in England
The Following User Says Thank You to mdm For This Useful Post:
alxtheoreo (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 01:56 PM   #134
alxtheoreo

Quote:
OK, let's be in touch about Sunday.

Unfortunately if it rains, they will most likely cancel the session. They are not as badass as kart racers in England
I'll PM you my number.

I've raced in the rain before. It's fun, until you look at your lap times. Haha

Those guys didn't swap to wets. Wtf.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #135
mdm
not a twin owner

Quote:
Those guys didn't swap to wets. Wtf.

Yup. that's what they do for hire kart races "Our karts are fitted with slick tyres at all times, regardless of weather conditions." They are badass ;-)