follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #15
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchirokuV2.0 View Post
Is there a specific precision alignment that is advertised on any of the FRS forums that improve handling characteristics with stock tires/rims/suspension?

Specific alignment specs - no

But the overwhelming consensus, as shown in this thread, is that everyone is saying more negative camber upfront does wonders. How much camber, toe, caster is up to your application, driving style, etc.
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #16
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Fuel weight makes a difference, a gallon a gas is roughly 6 pounds of weight. Now if you use one gallon on a track or other event weight shift differentials will impact the car. So if you test parts with a 1/2 tank and you fill to 1/2 tank for an event you'll get the setup you tested for. Just an idea

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:31 PM   #17
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbot View Post
Specific alignment specs - no

But the overwhelming consensus, as shown in this thread, is that everyone is saying more negative camber upfront does wonders. How much camber, toe, caster is up to your application, driving style, etc.
Adding to this; I'm running -2.5 degs camber in the front, -1.5 degs camber in the rear, an extra half degree of camber, and zero toe everywhere. The zero toe would normally be considered very aggressive, expecially for the street, but it works amazingly well. There's no pulling or twitchiness on uneven pavement at any speed I've had the car at. I'd have no trouble suggesting these alignment settings to anyone else.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
ultra (09-27-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 08:00 PM   #18
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I don't know, but I think stock to stock FRS is more neutral compare to BRZ. BRZ is more stable & turn in isn't as sharp in a tight spot.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:06 PM   #19
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@Hatchi

It's unusual to complain of oversteer, general consensus is that the FR-S understeers at the limit with a few outliers disagreeing. Personally just about every instance of oversteer has been due to my inputs.

All my tweaks have been to reduce understeer, the front seems to like more than -2.5 degrees of camber, I was happy at about -3 degrees at my last track day, I've been running ~-2.7 at AutoX and will be upping that to -3 this weekend. Don't have rear LCA's to dial that in yet.

Zero toe in front I'm happy with eventually I'll try some toe-out for autox purposes. I ran zero toe in the rear for a few weeks and the car felt like it wandered on the freeway so I've got some toe-in back there, maybe not the fastest but I spend more time on public roads than private ones.

Best of luck
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 08:21 AM   #20
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Most of the alignment settings people have been recommending (zero toe, -2.5 to -3.0 degrees front camber) are aimed at decreasing stock understeer.

I gather from his posts that OP actually wants the opposite:

Quote:
I have noticed that the vehicle is prone to mainly oversteer (although yes, that was its intent from Toyota) and I'd like to be able to dial out that.
Stock alignment specs are already fairly conservative (slight toe-in, 0 front camber, -1.0 to -1.5 rear camber). I don't think you can feasibly do a whole lot there.

OP - I think the first step is get rid of the Eagle RS-A tires and replace them with proper performance summer tires (MPSS, RE71R, Z2SS, etc.) I have a feeling that will give you the rear traction you're looking for on exit. If that's not enough, Strano parts makes an affordable front sway bar that will shift the balance of the car more towards understeer (i.e., reduce oversteer).

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #21
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
I think why most people who thing the stock frs suspension oversteers is simply because of how quickly (or easily) it can transition from under to over upon throttle input mid corner. Otherwise, even when you trailbrake into a turn on a stock FRS, the front end will plow. That is, unless you have some crazy toe out dialed in.

If you're thinking the FRS oversteers, then perhaps you can try the swift BRZ lowering springs (3.8k/4.5k). Having done this mod myself along with additional front camber via camber bolts this really help make the car handle much more predicable versus the completely stock suspension. less understeering corner entry and easier to control how the rear end rotates under throttle. The RCE springs (4.5k/4.5k?) are probably also a good choice.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
ultra (09-27-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #22
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
I think why most people who thing the stock frs suspension oversteers is simply because of how quickly (or easily) it can transition from under to over upon throttle input mid corner. Otherwise, even when you trailbrake into a turn on a stock FRS, the front end will plow. That is, unless you have some crazy toe out dialed in.

If you're thinking the FRS oversteers, then perhaps you can try the swift BRZ lowering springs (3.8k/4.5k). Having done this mod myself along with additional front camber via camber bolts this really help make the car handle much more predicable versus the completely stock suspension. less understeering corner entry and easier to control how the rear end rotates under throttle. The RCE springs (4.5k/4.5k?) are probably also a good choice.
Pedal dance is your friend
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (09-17-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 12:45 PM   #23
HatchirokuV2.0

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Pedal dance is your friend
I recently learned about Pedal Dance... It's drastically improved the capabilities of the vehicle. Coming from a Miata with ZERO driver aids, it reminds me a whole lot of my Miata. All of my Miatas were prone to oversteer, no matter what I did to the car. So, having something that is 100% mechanical now makes me feel a little more comfy. These RS-A's have 9/32"..... No chance I'm gonna get rid of them unless i can find a HELL of a deal on some stickier 215's (being as for now I'm constrained to stock wheels)

Is it safe to run this alignment on the car with stock tires and rims:

FRONT:
Camber -1.6*
Caster: 5.75*
Toe: 0*

REAR:
Camber: 1.2*

NO, I do not plan to use LCA's or adjustable anything, at the moment. I'm going to squeeze every ounce out of this cars stock capabilities and then see what I want to do. This car is a budget constricted one, that needs to maintain reliability. So modding the crap out of it right off the gate... NOPE.
HatchirokuV2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #24
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
NO, I do not plan to use LCA's or adjustable anything, at the moment. I'm going to squeeze every ounce out of this cars stock capabilities and then see what I want to do. This car is a budget constricted one, that needs to maintain reliability. So modding the crap out of it right off the gate... NOPE.
IMO that is the RIGHT way to approach these cars. They drive beautifully stock with just a good alignment (max camber front; get the OEM crash bolts; they are super cheap and if you are going to get an alignment, these are a cake to toss in). They tend to easily understeer and oversteer depending on what you tell them to do which just makes you a better driver if you can learn to drive the car "neutrally".

Regarding your alignment specs, I'm assuming you meant negative 1.2 rear camber so the only things I'd suggest is to get more front camber with the OEM crash bolts and put in a touch of toe in for the rear. But, again, it is driver preference.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:11 AM   #25
200hp/tonne

Drives: Raven Fr-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
When I had RCE yellows, I put ST front and rear sway bars as they are the softest set available above stock, and had 215 Pilot super sports. Combined with equal-ish camber on all 4 wheels from spc front crash bolts and rear control arms, it was a very neutral setup with hints of understeer/oversteer behavior caused by manipulating the throttle.

200hp/tonne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 200hp/tonne For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (09-19-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 07:00 PM   #26
Griever423

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
I totally agree with the OP. I've always felt my BRZ is very "twitchy" with the TC and VSC off. I haven't used the pedal dance before but it seems to me the car rotates very easily with even a small amount of throttle input in a corner. I'm not talking about tracking or autocross, just street driving.

I don't need or want the car to be set up for the track because I don't track the car. I'm on the street 99.99% of the time.
Griever423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:08 AM   #27
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
I recently learned about Pedal Dance... It's drastically improved the capabilities of the vehicle. Coming from a Miata with ZERO driver aids, it reminds me a whole lot of my Miata. All of my Miatas were prone to oversteer, no matter what I did to the car. So, having something that is 100% mechanical now makes me feel a little more comfy. These RS-A's have 9/32"..... No chance I'm gonna get rid of them unless i can find a HELL of a deal on some stickier 215's (being as for now I'm constrained to stock wheels)

Is it safe to run this alignment on the car with stock tires and rims:

FRONT:
Camber -1.6*
Caster: 5.75*

REAR:
Camber: 1.2*

12mm camber bolts work to adjust (+ or - .5 deg) camber in the rear, if you need it. Check rockauto.com for camber bolts for a chevy cobalt.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:29 PM   #28
HatchirokuV2.0

Drives: 2013 FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
IMO that is the RIGHT way to approach these cars. They drive beautifully stock with just a good alignment (max camber front; get the OEM crash bolts; they are super cheap and if you are going to get an alignment, these are a cake to toss in). They tend to easily understeer and oversteer depending on what you tell them to do which just makes you a better driver if you can learn to drive the car "neutrally".

Regarding your alignment specs, I'm assuming you meant negative 1.2 rear camber so the only things I'd suggest is to get more front camber with the OEM crash bolts and put in a touch of toe in for the rear. But, again, it is driver preference.

- Now, what is the most appreciative bias when it comes to camber on this car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griever423 View Post
I totally agree with the OP. I've always felt my BRZ is very "twitchy" with the TC and VSC off. I haven't used the pedal dance before but it seems to me the car rotates very easily with even a small amount of throttle input in a corner. I'm not talking about tracking or autocross, just street driving.

I don't need or want the car to be set up for the track because I don't track the car. I'm on the street 99.99% of the time.
Yes, the car feels very mechanical and snappy like an older sports car did when it came off the lot, brand new. Easier to manipulate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200hp/tonne View Post
When I had RCE yellows, I put ST front and rear sway bars as they are the softest set available above stock, and had 215 Pilot super sports. Combined with equal-ish camber on all 4 wheels from spc front crash bolts and rear control arms, it was a very neutral setup with hints of understeer/oversteer behavior caused by manipulating the throttle.
I've found myself inducing oversteer on purpose to exit corners quicker. It's very nifty but also a drawback when you're hitting uphill hair-pins and you lock up.
HatchirokuV2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote