follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #5363
J.C.

Drives: '13 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olorin View Post
I have the dual setup, no oil yet-- driven about 1000 mi since I installed them in march.
Is it true that you catch less on the crankcase side of things? I'm going to have to check the level after 3000 miles and report back.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #5364
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown View Post
what would cause a fried piston ring?
Granny shifting and not double clutching like you should.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
CK_Bladesmith (09-24-2014), R2 (09-24-2014), zdr93523 (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 12:08 AM   #5365
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
FYI--Here's a brief synopsis of what is the current state of things as we're still getting several inquires a day. We have recently become a dealer for Sprintex USA so we can continue to support the kit as Innovate is no longer the sole distributor in the US.

Sprintex USA is now distributing the kits. The pricing has been adjusted (up) a bit for IC systems. Current SC kits are 3195 non intercooled, 4695 with the laminova IC. IC upgrade kits are 1700 MSRP. This is much more realistic given the cost of the laminova core and heat exchanger. Old IC upgrade kits could never keep in stock and this I think reflects the true cost of things compared to before.

335 kits: SOON! Don't say we didn't warn you, it makes tons of power and 14 psi is about the minimum you will see. That 14 psi will be at the low end of the blower's output, so it will be a cool, dense charge. Sprintex recommends built motors only, but we will test out one of these kits on our car until she pops. I think with e85 we can probably still use the big pulley on this blower and limit power via tune until we're ready for the forged stuff.

210+...don't hold your breath. Official word will come from Sprintex when it is released, but if you're holding off purchase for one, you're going to be disappointed. When it is ready it will offer a measurable gain over the standard 210, but it won't be ground breaking.

Otherwise it will actually be quite nice to have Sprintex keep an office here in the US. This means that spare parts, replacement blowers, and whatever else might be needed will be a much quicker repair if needed.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
8686 (09-25-2014), Calum (09-25-2014), Dustin (09-25-2014), kbogarto (09-25-2014), Lawnik (09-25-2014), MINOCIN (09-26-2014), whataboutbob (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 12:33 AM   #5366
blown

Drives: ft86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
pulled the blower off. aside from the huge amounts of oil, I didn't find anything unusual.
blown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blown For This Useful Post:
Calum (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #5367
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-mike View Post
FYI--Here's a brief synopsis of what is the current state of things as we're still getting several inquires a day. We have recently become a dealer for Sprintex USA so we can continue to support the kit as Innovate is no longer the sole distributor in the US.

Sprintex USA is now distributing the kits. The pricing has been adjusted (up) a bit for IC systems. Current SC kits are 3195 non intercooled, 4695 with the laminova IC. IC upgrade kits are 1700 MSRP. This is much more realistic given the cost of the laminova core and heat exchanger. Old IC upgrade kits could never keep in stock and this I think reflects the true cost of things compared to before.

335 kits: SOON! Don't say we didn't warn you, it makes tons of power and 14 psi is about the minimum you will see. That 14 psi will be at the low end of the blower's output, so it will be a cool, dense charge. Sprintex recommends built motors only, but we will test out one of these kits on our car until she pops. I think with e85 we can probably still use the big pulley on this blower and limit power via tune until we're ready for the forged stuff.

210+...don't hold your breath. Official word will come from Sprintex when it is released, but if you're holding off purchase for one, you're going to be disappointed. When it is ready it will offer a measurable gain over the standard 210, but it won't be ground breaking.

Otherwise it will actually be quite nice to have Sprintex keep an office here in the US. This means that spare parts, replacement blowers, and whatever else might be needed will be a much quicker repair if needed.

Aren't there turbo kits out there making 350-400 rwhp on stock internals? How is this different? I realize it's pushing things but people are doing it with success I think- not sure how this is different (maybe torque output)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #5368
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Aren't there turbo kits out there making 350-400 rwhp on stock internals? How is this different? I realize it's pushing things but people are doing it with success I think- not sure how this is different (maybe torque output)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The power used to turn a super charger comes from the crank shaft, that power could otherwise be used for accelerating the car. The power to turn a turbo comes from the exhaust which would mostly be wasted out of the tail pipe anyway, so that doesn't decrease the engines power output. Of course the net gain from a superchager is still positive. But when comparing two indentical engines being fed the same volume of air one from a SC the other from a TC, the TCed car will have more power going to the drivetrain.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #5369
bfrank1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
The power used to turn a super charger comes from the crank shaft, that power could otherwise be used for accelerating the car. The power to turn a turbo comes from the exhaust which would mostly be wasted out of the tail pipe anyway, so that doesn't decrease the engines power output. Of course the net gain from a superchager is still positive. But when comparing two indentical engines being fed the same volume of air one from a SC the other from a TC, the TCed car will have more power going to the drivetrain.
Ah ok - so in other words, a 400 rwhp twin screw SC may actually require maybe 8-10% more power generated by the engine to produce that number, which might put it over the 'threshold'. That makes some sense - thanks!

Any early predictions on numbers we'll see from the 335?
Old 09-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #5370
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post

This is misleading. The way @Calum words this makes it sound like Turbos do not have parasitic loss. Which is incorrect. Turbos restrict exhaust flow, which is a parastic loss. The parastic loss is just generated differently.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #5371
bfrank1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
This is misleading. The way @Calum words this makes it sound like Turbos do not have parasitic loss. Which is incorrect. Turbos restrict exhaust flow, which is a parastic loss. The parastic loss is just generated differently.
Maybe but I can see what he's saying - to produce x hp at the wheels, a supercharged motor has to internally produce more power than a turbo motor (because of the added parasitic loss of the SC, which is probably quite a few HP at high rpm). Turbo backpressure/heat can obviously impact VE, tune, etc but when talking about stress on rods & pistons I can see where he's coming from (of course assuming no detonation or other tune/fuel related issues).
Old 09-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #5372
choi0706

Drives: t
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
anyone consider rerouting the throttle body coolant lines?
choi0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #5373
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Aren't there turbo kits out there making 350-400 rwhp on stock internals?
Not reliably

Inb4 it's the tune that caused the motor to fail
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:20 AM   #5374
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown View Post
was it the pistons?

I did a leakdown test that didn't appear to fail. but the smoke is only really bad at WOT..
My first failure looked very simular to yours, we found plugs had burnt and lots of oil in the manifold even down the intake as far as the airbox. We cleaned out did compression test all was ok, replaced plugs, started up ran fine.
About 100km cruising engine blew.
2 Pistons where finished hole and melted.
Don't mess around pull the motor and replace parts before you do more damage, could save yourself good couple of $$ if you have not damage the bore.
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:35 AM   #5375
CK_Bladesmith

Drives: Raven FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
My first failure looked very simular to yours, we found plugs had burnt and lots of oil in the manifold even down the intake as far as the airbox. We cleaned out did compression test all was ok, replaced plugs, started up ran fine.

Don't mess around pull the motor and replace parts before you do more damage, could save yourself good couple of $$ if you have not damage the bore.

What do you think caused this failure?
Raven FR-S mods: Unichip, Ground Control street coilovers with camber plates and strut tower brace, SPC Lca's, Drag DR-38 wheels with Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, Perrin CAI and silicone inlet tube, Perrin 3" resonated catback, Perrin high flow catted front pipe, Rev Works UEL header.
CK_Bladesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #5376
blown

Drives: ft86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
yeah, pulling the motor out tonight.

first failure? there was another failure?
blown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.