follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #85
kchar
Because Racecar

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Hello everyone!

I'll start off this review by saying that I had been looking at getting this system for over a year but always put it off for various performance modifications but I definitely regret not pulling the trigger sooner. The price is the sticking point for all but once I've lived with the system I feel that the price is justified completely. OEM Audio + has provided an extremely high quality product while providing superb support akin to the level of service one would expect from purchasing an FI kit (for example). I was skeptical as to the hype however I was pleasantly surprised as to how everything played out. Daniel has provided a world-class customer service experience that is probably unrivaled to anything I've dealt with before.

I ended up getting the reference 450Q with the rear speakers and I cannot believe what I was missing. The sound is completely immersive where I truly feel that no aspect of any song is overpowering the other. All the highs/mids/lows are perfectly balanced. I am amazed at the balance achieved between genres of music. There is no need to fiddle with any settings as everything just comes through as you would expect the songwriters to have wanted. I've been used to just cranking the volume up on every car I've owned and being content however the 450Q allows for almost a "tranquil" experience where clarity is achieved at all times and no desire for more bass or more treble is had.

The install was very straight forward but I did run into a few hiccups like those before me (door speakers not firing, not being able to route the power cable as instructed). The process could be intimidating for those that do not actively work on their cars but as long as time is taken I don't think there is much room for error.

Thanks again to OEM Audio + team... but Daniel, you the real mvp!
kchar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kchar For This Useful Post:
oemaudioplus (09-26-2016), VMRamos (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #86
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by memo90061 View Post
I want to listen to these speakers. I think that's the only bothering me about my car right now. I think the audio is really bad compared to my old 2002 Mercedes. It had a Bose sound system, and it was very loud and I really loved the "surround" sound it produced. Want to get that "surround" feeling in my FR-S. I can't afford the system just yet though.
Being in Los Angeles, there are plenty of people near you and OEM Audio Plus is at a lot of events in the area. Their office is also located near Anaheim/Yorba Linda so shouldn't be hard to contact them for a private hearing.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:29 AM   #87
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
So I am trying to install the 4" center speakers and went through the instructions. I am upgrading from the 400 Reference Series using the umbilical cable bypass and am having some issues.

After disconnecting the umbilical cable in the dash and attaching the factory wires to the new 4" speakers, I am getting sound from those speakers but now the 6.5" door speakers are not working. Anyone else run into this issue? I attempted to switch around the wires near the factory amp, there are 2 female connectors free and 1 male connector to play with but mixing and matching does nothing for the 6.5" door speakers.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
Old 05-03-2016, 06:49 AM   #88
LetzROQ

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Release Series 2.0
Earlier in this thread, I detailed my issue with the door speakers not working, after installing the Reference 450Q system - it required a wiretap that OEM Audio+ provided detailed instructions for. Recommend contacting Daniel directly to determine how to fix your issue with the door speakers.
LetzROQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #89
JGalp

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
any updates/reviews from people that upgraded their systems with rear and midrange speakers?! and what EQ are most of you guys running from OEm audio? Balanced, full or robust? i think I'm on full now listening to mostly R&B hip hop type music but i think i might switch to balanced. even on full my back glass is vibrating a lot on certain songs! songs great though
JGalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:38 PM   #90
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalp View Post
any updates/reviews from people that upgraded their systems with rear and midrange speakers?! and what EQ are most of you guys running from OEm audio? Balanced, full or robust? i think I'm on full now listening to mostly R&B hip hop type music but i think i might switch to balanced. even on full my back glass is vibrating a lot on certain songs! songs great though
How loud are you listening? I've got the 'Robust' tuning and honestly don't get THAT much low end out of the system. I wish I could bring out more, and have been considering getting the amp retuned for more low end by OEM+
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:46 PM   #91
JGalp

i usually listen to it between 40-45 and the music i play is "high quality" off spotify
Old 05-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #92
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalp View Post
i usually listen to it between 40-45 and the music i play is "high quality" off spotify
Ah... well that's why. 40-45 on a daily commute would kill me. I like to hear the engine (and my thoughts) too
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #93
JGalp

yea I'm a young whipper snapper. its either 40-45 or completely off so i can listen to my edelbrock
Old 05-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #94
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
So I am trying to install the 4" center speakers and went through the instructions. I am upgrading from the 400 Reference Series using the umbilical cable bypass and am having some issues.

After disconnecting the umbilical cable in the dash and attaching the factory wires to the new 4" speakers, I am getting sound from those speakers but now the 6.5" door speakers are not working. Anyone else run into this issue? I attempted to switch around the wires near the factory amp, there are 2 female connectors free and 1 male connector to play with but mixing and matching does nothing for the 6.5" door speakers.

Got this fixed. If any earlier adopters (using the umbillical cable) from the Reference series are planning on getting the 4" upgrade, please know you will need the new reference adapter to make this work.

I spoke with Daniel about this issue and we solved it. He 1-day shipped the necessary parts. As usual phenomenal customer service.

FYI, if you get the 4" center upgrade, definitely get your amplifier retuned. A poorly tuned 3-way (reference + 4" speakers no tuning) will sound worse than your nicely tuned 2-way (reference tuned); I will provide a review after getting my amplifier re-tuned for the 3 way and had some time to listen.

Last edited by l0aded; 05-13-2016 at 08:16 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to l0aded For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (05-19-2016), nocturne1 (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 08:34 PM   #95
dinoniel

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Got this fixed. If any earlier adopters (using the umbillical cable) from the Reference series are planning on getting the 4" upgrade, please know you will need the new reference adapter to make this work.

I spoke with Daniel about this issue and we solved it. He 1-day shipped the necessary parts. As usual phenomenal customer service.

FYI, if you get the 4" center upgrade, definitely get your amplifier retuned. A poorly tuned 3-way (reference + 4" speakers no tuning) will sound worse than your nicely tuned 2-way (reference tuned); I will provide a review after getting my amplifier re-tuned for the 3 way and had some time to listen.
Interesting, do you find that it sounds a lot better with a 3-way vs the 2-way tune?

I was one of the early adopters of the front and rear speaker upgrade coming from the original reference set up. Unfortunately we couldn't get the door speakers to work over the course of a week and working with Daniel. So we had to ship the amp back to be retuned back to a 2-way because the 3-way sounded off without the door woofers. It's great they finally figured this one out!
dinoniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:44 AM   #96
Astral Abyss

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
How loud are you listening? I've got the 'Robust' tuning and honestly don't get THAT much low end out of the system. I wish I could bring out more, and have been considering getting the amp retuned for more low end by OEM+
Do you have a stock radio set to FR-S instead of tC? If so, it'll kill the low end and mess up the imaging.

EDIT: Oops, I see you have a BRZ. Not sure what to say. I had robust and it was so much bass it sounded terrible. Had it retuned to Full and was much happier.
Astral Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #97
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoniel View Post
Interesting, do you find that it sounds a lot better with a 3-way vs the 2-way tune?

I was one of the early adopters of the front and rear speaker upgrade coming from the original reference set up. Unfortunately we couldn't get the door speakers to work over the course of a week and working with Daniel. So we had to ship the amp back to be retuned back to a 2-way because the 3-way sounded off without the door woofers. It's great they finally figured this one out!
I haven't setup the 3-way tuning yet so can't answer.

Sounds like a lot of trouble, sorry to hear that. I expect the 3 way tuned will be worth it but will hold off on commenting until I have it for some time.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:50 PM   #98
Astral Abyss

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S
Quote:
I haven't setup the 3-way tuning yet so can't answer.

Sounds like a lot of trouble, sorry to hear that. I expect the 3 way tuned will be worth it but will hold off on commenting until I have it for some time.
It's honestly no better than the 2-way, maybe a lititle worse.. I blame the stupid location of the mid and tweeter in our car. With more sound coming out of the door mid-bass on the 2 way, it avoided some of the nasty reflections off the glass that makes some of my music just sound wrong with the 3-way and I can't EQ it out.

The sound also changes when you have the visor up vs down... annoying.

After I got the upgrade I had one of those eureka moments where I thought, "so that's why they went with a 2-way in this car." And then, "too late now".

This is definitely not a knock on OEM. Their kit and support is top notch. Its just something to consider before anyone thinks more is better.
Astral Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Astral Abyss For This Useful Post:
ajcarson11 (05-18-2016), chaoskaze (05-19-2016), DAEMANO (05-18-2016)

Tags
amp, audio, music, radio, subwoofer