follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2020, 05:47 AM   #15
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
If you're looking just to change the sound of the exhaust, you may look into just an axle back muffler like this one:

https://shop.namelessperformance.com...haust-brz-frs/

I have had the nameless axle back (2.5" piping, 5" mufflers) on my 2013 FR-S for several years and I find the sound quite pleasing.
Have the same setup. All stock other than a tune and the axleback.
This is what it sounds like.

Adding headers will make the car loud.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-31-2020), Seiryuu (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 10:00 AM   #16
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltywetman View Post
How is Apexi quality compared to Fujitsubo? the main thing holding me back from the fujitsubo is that it only comes with single exit exhaust and I have a kouki. If i had a zenki I'd def go for it as there are better bumper covers for single exit.

Right now I likely will end up finishing the TRD aero kit and getting the rear bumper spoiler which will give me the option of just 2 catbacks, the fujitsubo rm+c quad tip or the blitz nur spec. The Blitz for some reason has extremely high shipping rate compared to the fujitsubo so i'll likely end up going with apexi header + fujitsubo catback. would've wanted full fujitsubo system but they aren't willing to sell just the header/op/fp along with their other catbacks as a set.
Fujitsubo quality will be far better. But all three HKS, Fujitsubo, ahd Apexi are good products.
Plenty have been asking for that set up in bold lol
Ah well since you're going with the TRD aero, HKS might be your best choice for a full set up. They have their R-Spec set up which is their header and front pipe, then you can get their Legamax Sport with the quad tips. While the kit doesn't come with an overpipe, it's rather useless to replace. However, HKS does offer one now.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:22 PM   #17
Seiryuu

Drives: ZC6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the feedbacks, everyone. I haven't thought about axlebacks yet in case I go header... and for the extra weight savings over the stock exhaust. I gotta say though, the Nameless does sound nice. Only other one I heard that I would've considered was the STi muffler but that thing is stupidly expensive; it cost more than almost every high-end JDM catback.

I have come to the conclusion that the only way I can decide whether I like the sound is to hear it in person. The same exhaust sounds just different enough from two different clips depending on equipment, environment, video quality, distance, weather, even how long it has been installed and whether someone farted in the same direction and distorted the sound. And then there is the difference between listening on my headphones vs speakers.

With all that being said, I'm just gonna have to jump on one when the time comes and hope the sound profile is what I wanted it to be.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seiryuu For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 04:04 PM   #18
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
Thanks for the feedbacks, everyone. ............
With all that being said, I'm just gonna have to jump on one when the time comes and hope the sound profile is what I wanted it to be.
Yep, paralysis by analysis can be a real thing when it comes to picking an exhaust system -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
JesseG (06-11-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 05:50 PM   #19
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post

1. Blitz Nur-Spec C-Ti dual tip - First choice but unfortunately, discontinued. Mainly made of SS but real titanium tip justified the burnt tip look. Awesome.
2. Blitz Nur-Spec VS - All SS and cheaper than the above. However, no one carries it in the US. Japanparts have it but shipping makes it cost prohibitive.

3. Blitz Nur-Spec VSR - Same as the VS but with burnt tips even though it is entirely SS. I'll have to begrudgingly settle for this one if I can't pick up the other two.
4. Fujitsubo Authorize R - far "second choice" if I can't pick up any of the above three. This one is more expensive and the sound seems to be on the deeper side, but still has that smooth character.

Does anyone know if there are other exhausts that have similar characteristics that I can look into?
1) Blitz Nur-Spec C-Ti and VS/VSR are the exact same exhaust. None of them are "real titanium tip", if you think that way you've been mislead by online vendors.
2) Blitz is not really readily available in US because the former importer (FRSport) basically imploded. Ask me how I know... but you can get it from a lot of other places, anyone that buys wholesale from Options Auto Salon.
3) See #1 above
4) the sound for Authorize R is the same as others above. If anything, Authorize R is the right balance between STi sport muffer and factory OEM. Nur-Spec VS/VSR is too close to stock and will rattle if you add any catless straight front pipe or aggressive header to this.

As for header and other component discussion, you should consider it this way: large resonators or large OEM-sized catalytic converters will yield the best/quietest sound, allowing you to use whatever exhaust you want. So if you went with the Apex'i setup, you can run whatever exhaust after that and you will end up with only the sound of the exhaust.

Here's the Apexi header setup with stock exhaust:

Here's the same header with the exhaust you want:

Like I said a long time ago, if I spent this much money on a header/catback setup and be so quiet, I'd want my money back.
Worth noting is the Nur-Spec VS/VSR has a slight in-cabin rattle under load with aftermarket headers. It's only apparent if you fold down the rear seats and have quiet tires at highway speeds but this also can be a one-off problem with what I had on my car.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
saltywetman (05-31-2020), Seiryuu (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 11:45 PM   #20
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Fujitsubo quality will be far better. But all three HKS, Fujitsubo, ahd Apexi are good products.
Plenty have been asking for that set up in bold lol
Ah well since you're going with the TRD aero, HKS might be your best choice for a full set up. They have their R-Spec set up which is their header and front pipe, then you can get their Legamax Sport with the quad tips. While the kit doesn't come with an overpipe, it's rather useless to replace. However, HKS does offer one now.
I would choose fujitsubo system over the other 2 if they would sell the first 3 pieces separately. Still intend to get the fujitsubo catback as I believe it will be quieter than HKS and Apexi.

As for the header to front pipe section, i'm leaning towards the apexi system for the bigger resonator and for their design that locates the second sensor after their high flow cats. Previous owners with this system has shared with me that this design allowed them to not get the CEL even without flashing their ECU which will be handy if I have to take my car into the dealership for maintenance I can simply flash the ecu back to stock and no CEL will pop up.

Spoke with the service manager at the dealership I will be frequenting and he said they don't have a problem with working on modified cars and have serviced vehicles with aftermarket superchargers on them. He just says as long as the modification doesn't contribute to any problems related to potential warranty work it will be covered under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
As for header and other component discussion, you should consider it this way: large resonators or large OEM-sized catalytic converters will yield the best/quietest sound, allowing you to use whatever exhaust you want. So if you went with the Apex'i setup, you can run whatever exhaust after that and you will end up with only the sound of the exhaust.

Like I said a long time ago, if I spent this much money on a header/catback setup and be so quiet, I'd want my money back.
Thanks for affirming this as it solidifies my choice of the Apexi header. Increasing volume is the last I want and I would rather make my car quieter than stock setup if that's even possible.

Header for torque dip, quad tip catback mainly cosmetic to complement the TRD rear bumper.

Additionally our local authorities recently passed this very obscure and crappy legislation that allows local law enforcement tickets for exhaust sounds they subjectively find loud and "disruptive" (motorcycles have an actual decibel number they must remain under however cars are all at the cop's discretion) which is another reason I rather not draw attention to myself with loud obnoxious exhaust noises.

The second rule is against muffler tip size we can now get ticketed if our exhaust tip diameter exceeds the diameter of our main exhaust piping (which is silly because i'm pretty sure the kouki oem exhaust tips are larger than the stock piping diameter!)
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:20 AM   #21
mav1178

Quote:
As for the header to front pipe section, i'm leaning towards the apexi system for the bigger resonator and for their design that locates the second sensor after their high flow cats. Previous owners with this system has shared with me that this design allowed them to not get the CEL even without flashing their ECU which will be handy if I have to take my car into the dealership for maintenance I can simply flash the ecu back to stock and no CEL will pop up.
The no CEL comes from the O2 extension, not from some magical placement of the sensor.

Zero guarantees of no CEL with any aftermarket header system.
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
saltywetman (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 12:23 AM   #22
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
I would choose fujitsubo system over the other 2 if they would sell the first 3 pieces separately. Still intend to get the fujitsubo catback as I believe it will be quieter than HKS and Apexi.

Spoke with the service manager at the dealership I will be frequenting and he said they don't have a problem with working on modified cars and have serviced vehicles with aftermarket superchargers on them. He just says as long as the modification doesn't contribute to any problems related to potential warranty work it will be covered under warranty.
I haven't ever heard any of the Fujitsubo catbacks in person. The only one I ever really considered was their RM+C Prova edition. However, the HKS is fairly tame. I had their R-spec frontpipe, legamax sport catback, and Cosworth headers before and it wasn't too bad. I actually have a clip somewhere.

I do fully agree with keeping the noise down. Not just for lack of attention by law enforcement, but because I don't need to have people on the road thinking I'm looking for trouble.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
saltywetman (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 12:32 AM   #23
saltywetman

Quote:
The no CEL comes from the O2 extension, not from some magical placement of the sensor.

Zero guarantees of no CEL with any aftermarket header system.
Doesn't the placement of the second sensor behind the front pipe catalyzer help achieve this too though? AFAIK apexi seems to be the only company that even bothered to do this as all the other manufacturers just tell u to do a tune which also flashes away the CEL.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:04 AM   #24
Twitchy313

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Magnaflow also has a great sound. I have an axel back exhaust from magnaflow and i love the deep aggressive sound with a bit of subí rumble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitchy313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #25
mav1178

Quote:
Doesn't the placement of the second sensor behind the front pipe catalyzer help achieve this too though? AFAIK apexi seems to be the only company that even bothered to do this as all the other manufacturers just tell u to do a tune which also flashes away the CEL.
again, no guarantee.

the problem with aftermarket HFC is that it sometimes does not have cell density to pass the ECU sensor check. it may pass a tailpipe but not the sensor.
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
saltywetman (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #26
saltywetman

Quote:
again, no guarantee.

the problem with aftermarket HFC is that it sometimes does not have cell density to pass the ECU sensor check. it may pass a tailpipe but not the sensor.
Oh I see. So not guaranteed due to it being a high flow cat, but because of the design it's still the only aftermarket header that even offers the possibility of no engine check lights once flashed back to stock correct?

There isn't enough info/pictures on the Fujitsu EPU's header to high flow cat to see if it has a bung after the high flow cat, but HKS definitely does not have one as the pictures show both bungs right before the overpipe.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:42 PM   #27
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
saltywetman: most aftermarket catted headers offer such "possibility", so do misc. O2 sensor spacers and such too .. problem being, none of them provide sure way for cat readiness CEL to never pop up, just reduced chance/longer mileage for it to happen.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #28
mav1178

Quote:
Oh I see. So not guaranteed due to it being a high flow cat, but because of the design it's still the only aftermarket header that even offers the possibility of no engine check lights once flashed back to stock correct?

There isn't enough info/pictures on the Fujitsu EPU's header to high flow cat to see if it has a bung after the high flow cat, but HKS definitely does not have one as the pictures show both bungs right before the overpipe.
It just comes down to this:

if you don't want a CEL, get a tune to get rid of it.

If you get a header and no tune, what's the point? so do it right and get both at the same time so you get the maximum benefit out of the header. otherwise, you're just throwing money away on things that make your car feel faster.