follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-04-2021, 10:34 AM   #1
IsaiahW

Drives: 2013 Subaru brz limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Manual swap

Well…I've considered manual swapping my auto brz. Hear me out on why though, I decided to go auto in the first place for many reasons. When I purchased the car it was $9k with 53k miles for a 2013 and that was in 2018. I needed something pretty stock and the manuals were high mileage, overpriced with mods. Also, manuals had their flaws and at the time I knew auto could handle power. Don't get me wrong it handles power great, but with having a built motor e85 and supercharged on high load the computer just takes too long to complete your demands, and that's with an upgraded vb and cooler. It would redline then the engine breaks like crazy. I've heard Kriss at ssp also stated you'll have to tune down a little for the computer to behave right(Lemongrab voice*UNACCEPTABLE!)lol. It's not the mechanical functionality that's the problem it's the computer and it not being cracked yet for tuning. I love the auto but it just doesn't have much support like the manuals do. That leads to my first question. I don't want to swap in stock trans UNLESS it's worth it with a synchro kit and other recommended upgrades. So what is some transmission recommendations that can handle great? Also, any feedback or suggestions would help especially from the ones that have done a swap themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by IsaiahW; 10-04-2021 at 11:03 AM.
IsaiahW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IsaiahW For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-10-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 01:13 PM   #2
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You'll never have to worry about the trans handling the power again.

https://www.mazworx.com/mazworx-favq...t-frs/brz.aspx
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
IsaiahW (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
IsaiahW

Drives: 2013 Subaru brz limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Been eyeing that for a while definitely may do that swap may cost me roughly 10k including all the manual parts necessary for the swap

IsaiahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:36 AM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,818 Times in 16,426 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaiahW View Post
Well…I've considered manual swapping my auto brz. Hear me out on why though, I decided to go auto in the first place for many reasons. When I purchased the car it was $9k with 53k miles for a 2013 and that was in 2018. I needed something pretty stock and the manuals were high mileage, overpriced with mods. Also, manuals had their flaws and at the time I knew auto could handle power. Don't get me wrong it handles power great, but with having a built motor e85 and supercharged on high load the computer just takes too long to complete your demands, and that's with an upgraded vb and cooler. It would redline then the engine breaks like crazy. I've heard Kriss at ssp also stated you'll have to tune down a little for the computer to behave right(Lemongrab voice*UNACCEPTABLE!)lol. It's not the mechanical functionality that's the problem it's the computer and it not being cracked yet for tuning. I love the auto but it just doesn't have much support like the manuals do. That leads to my first question. I don't want to swap in stock trans UNLESS it's worth it with a synchro kit and other recommended upgrades. So what is some transmission recommendations that can handle great? Also, any feedback or suggestions would help especially from the ones that have done a swap themselves.

Yep, the manuals have a lot more "support" - like new TOBs, clutch forks, HD clutch disks and pressure plates, shift springs, short shifters and transmission mount things. PLUS you get all the benefits of whining noises, gear rollover, hard to get into second gear and continually changing fluid to try to make it work better.

I'm thinking you might want to consider reconsidering the whole project -
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote