follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #1
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,853 Times in 16,436 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Spray detailer question

I haven't received a reply from detailer's domain so, I'll ask here:

I have a question for you detailing experts.

How do products like Mothers "Showtime" work ..??

Do they react with the existing wax to produce the shine or do they add a layer that makes the surface look shinier ..??

Is there any downside to using these products .. ??

I'm old and lazy and find that these products to be an easy alternative to waxing my car.

Is there any problem with that .. ??

TIA

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #2
Jesse36m3

Drives: JDL Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hi humfrz,

Spray detailer will not give the same results as actual wax, nor will it provide any kind of protection. It's just a thin synthetic layer that will sit on the clear coat and whatever other junk is on there for a couple days then eventually wash right off. I might use it from time to time primarily for spot detailing (getting rid of big bugs or poop if i'm on the road, or even my wheels). I would never use it to wipe down my entire car - you'd want to wash it first or else you'll introduce those nasty swirls.

The only exception to the "never wipe your whole car down" rule is if I just washed it, drove to a meet or show a couple hours later, and then used the spray detailer to give her the old spin n' shine. Chances are you won't be doing much damage (If it were properly sealed/waxed beforehand).

There really aren't any downsides to these products; however some may try to sell it like snake oil. I'd just pick one from a well known reputable company and let it be. I've had fantastic results with Griots Garage lately and I can pick it up locally at Pep Boys.
Jesse36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse36m3 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 05:08 PM   #3
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse36m3 View Post
Hi humfrz,

Spray detailer will not give the same results as actual wax, nor will it provide any kind of protection. It's just a thin synthetic layer that will sit on the clear coat and whatever other junk is on there for a couple days then eventually wash right off. I might use it from time to time primarily for spot detailing (getting rid of big bugs or poop if i'm on the road, or even my wheels). I would never use it to wipe down my entire car - you'd want to wash it first or else you'll introduce those nasty swirls.

The only exception to the "never wipe your whole car down" rule is if I just washed it, drove to a meet or show a couple hours later, and then used the spray detailer to give her the old spin n' shine. Chances are you won't be doing much damage (If it were properly sealed/waxed beforehand).

There really aren't any downsides to these products; however some may try to sell it like snake oil. I'd just pick one from a well known reputable company and let it be. I've had fantastic results with Griots Garage lately and I can pick it up locally at Pep Boys.
I suggest you try a better detailer - Sonax provides a level of protection and gives a great shine. The car beads like crazy with Sonax Detailer spray or the Sonax spray on wax. Ammo Spit is great too. Also Kinotek from detailers domain gives a great shine and good beading.Its another level of protection. So good that I pretty much just do a sealant and then wipe the car down with detailer whenever I feel like it. Cars look great and great beading. Have not waxed my car with traditional wax in years and they look great.

Don't kill yourself over swirls - even the most anal get them. I have silver cars for that reason - its harder to see them.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #4
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I use after drying, if you encounter water spots use it.

Watch "Mothers Polish -- Speed Clay 2.0 Quick Overview (How To Video)" on YouTube
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 06:01 PM   #5
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,846 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
You list some good suggestions there that I will have to check out. Ever tried this one? I have a bottle that I haven't used yet: http://www.chemicalguys.com/Hybrid_V...wac_808_16.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
I suggest you try a better detailer - Sonax provides a level of protection and gives a great shine. The car beads like crazy with Sonax Detailer spray or the Sonax spray on wax. Ammo Spit is great too. Also Kinotek from detailers domain gives a great shine and good beading.Its another level of protection. So good that I pretty much just do a sealant and then wipe the car down with detailer whenever I feel like it. Cars look great and great beading. Have not waxed my car with traditional wax in years and they look great.

Don't kill yourself over swirls - even the most anal get them. I have silver cars for that reason - its harder to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
I use 3m Synthetic wax and in between I use Meguiars for Dark colors. I'm sure something that maintains your in between wax should be fine.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 12:15 AM   #7
humfrz

Thanks, guys.

Since I've used up the Mothers Showtime stuff ...... I'll move on to some of the Griots Garage product. My son-in-law got me a "kit" of products from those folks, that included the spray detailer.

Now, if he would just come over and use them on my car .......

OK, so, I reckon I'll get off my lazy butt and give my car a proper waxing. I figure at the rate of a couple panels a day, I can have it done within a week....

Thanks again!

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 02:01 AM   #8
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Thanks, guys.

Since I've used up the Mothers Showtime stuff ...... I'll move on to some of the Griots Garage product. My son-in-law got me a "kit" of products from those folks, that included the spray detailer.

Now, if he would just come over and use them on my car .......

OK, so, I reckon I'll get off my lazy butt and give my car a proper waxing. I figure at the rate of a couple panels a day, I can have it done within a week....

Thanks again!

humfrz
When you finished, you will need to do it all over again
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:17 AM   #9
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
When you finished, you will need to do it all over again
Old 07-22-2017, 02:33 AM   #10
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,537 Times in 18,935 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
You list some good suggestions there
Nice sig.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:57 AM   #11
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Optimum Instant Detailer adds more gloss and shine.
Spray on after rinsing car off, it can be used as a aid in drying the car.

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-ID200...00GG9FJKU?th=1

I buy the concentrated one & it lasts me a year. Mix with distilled water. I use this with every other wash.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86geek For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-23-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #12
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
You list some good suggestions there that I will have to check out. Ever tried this one? I have a bottle that I haven't used yet: http://www.chemicalguys.com/Hybrid_V...wac_808_16.htm
Have not used it, but I will give it a try. I can always use more detailer. It gets me off the couch and with my daily commute of 78 miles round trip there is always something stuck on the car.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:06 PM   #13
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

Thanks again!

humfrz
I use Zaino, and put a coat of Z5 on one night, and Z2 the following night. Less than an hour each. New polish isn't like old school wax!!

Note, neighbors will look at you funny, and ask, "didn't you do that yesterday?"
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #14
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman View Post
I use Zaino, and put a coat of Z5 on one night, and Z2 the following night. Less than an hour each. New polish isn't like old school wax!!

Note, neighbors will look at you funny, and ask, "didn't you do that yesterday?"
My neighbors would ask ...... "didn't you just wax that car last year" .....??

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Gunman (07-24-2017)