follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-09-2015, 09:13 PM   #1
Porschephile

Drives: 2006 gti apr stage 2+, scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Trying to decide on an Fi setup

Going Fi in or around 6 months. Waiting mainly because I am unsure what exactly what I want to do, also I am a tech, any my company is building a shop, I want to install it myself so have to wait until I have a shop, for most set ups. At any rate I'm not adverse to either sc or turbo as they both have pros and cons. I like the sprintex set up as install seems easy as pie , it seems like a good bang for the buck, I like the instant torque and of course it sounds good. As far as turbos go the only thing I don't like about the majority of the kits is the placement of the turbo, in front of everything more or less. Given this I saw several other kits utilizing mounting underneath, passenger side next to the tranny and rear mount. The rear mount is of particular interest as I have driven two of them, a ls1 gto and a c6 base vette. I don't care what others say about the inefficiencies of rear mounts, both of the cars drove great, had little to no lag and were reliable, plus they sound sick as tits. I would prefer to spend under 5 ish and I live in Texas so cooling is a must. Thoughts?
Porschephile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Porschephile For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Your in the subforum with the most infromation regarding fi on these cars. You have 6 months to read up and figure it out. There are tons of threads with people asking the same thing. Write out what you want, weight the pros/cons of the kits that meet your goals, check the comparison threads, look in the "owners threads" for insight/problems from owners, ante up the money and then make your decision.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
woode (02-09-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 08:08 AM   #3
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I read almost every thread here and I really just got more confused as to what I wanted. I eliminated every turbo kit that mounted the turbo in front of the engine for heat issues. That area is not designed for that kind of heat and I worry about the long term effects of having a turbo there. The only turbo kits that appealed to me were p-tuning and avo. I didn't consider the rear-mount turbo because as far as I know, several tuners couldn't tune it right. The kit looks okay but if you can't get it tuned, it's a paperweight. I wish I could find an even more oem (like the wrx/forester) setup but after all my research, I concluded that avo was the best option. And I eliminated them because of all the, fitment issues, leaks with their flexless header, dubious build quality (flanges) and cheap Chinese turbo. That kit is definitely built to a pricepoint first and foremost. I seriously considered asking a shop like JDL to just make a one-off AVO kit clone with the same placements and better components and craftsmanship.

I liked the sprintex setup but it's so limited. I've been waiting for the 210+ for over a year. The regular 210 is nice but weak. They seem capped at 250whp on regular fuel and 285whp on E85 with every bolt on. I'm going to want more than 285whp at some point. You are stuck at that level unless you go with a 335 which would be great except they seem pop motors. I like the placement and weight distribution of these systems but they have heat management issues even with the intercooler. They are expensive too.

The TVS setups seem nice but so far no real results. And they seem like they are all going to cost $texas for results comparable to the sprintex 335 / rotrex38-81/ gt30XX setups.

I didn't even consider vortech. They would be a decent option if rotrex systems didn't exist. I'm not sure what vortech does that rotrex doesn't do better. The kits seem to have questionable fitment and they are more expensive to boot. Easy pass.

I like the JRSC setup. Good heat management. They are designed with the K.I.S.S. concept which I support. They are good for 275whp on regular fuel and 300whp on E85 which is perfect. I've been waiting for a sale or something to that effect which leads me to...

I ended up getting a KW kit because the price was right. They have most of the same benefits of the JR system except a complicated setup which seems to like to snap belts which is the reason why this setup was conceived (to prevent bad things from happening from snapped belts). Aside from that, this setup has alot of upgrades available which is great. Not happy with the 275/300whp of the stock system? High boost pulleys get you up to 320/360whp. An upgraded charger gets you to 400whp+.

The only thing that sucks about the rotrex systems (all of them) is bolting 50 pounds in front of the motor on a front heavy car. Guess you have to pick your poison.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to industrial For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (02-14-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
350matt

Drives: toyota mr2/ Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
what about the cosworth setup?
350matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:18 PM   #5
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350matt View Post
what about the cosworth setup?
Overpriced for what is offered. It's no better than the Sprintex setup.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:20 PM   #6
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 Camaro SS View Post
Overpriced for what is offered. It's no better than the Sprintex setup.
agreed. way over priced.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:16 PM   #7
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschephile View Post
plus they sound sick as tits. I would prefer to spend under 5 ish and I live in Texas so cooling is a must. Thoughts?
I mean that's great, tits do sound pretty sick. As far as cooling is concerned, there won't be any @CSG Mike-thermodynamically-approved turbo kits under 5k.

As far as superchargers go, that's slightly easier. There is the sticky of the $5,000+/- FI options. I suggest you start there.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #8
Porschephile

I talked to yo at 86speedfactory and he seems to think the Jackson racing would be the best set up, I was wondering if they have pulley upgrades available, haven't had the time to look though, but the price is a bit high, although I would say they have the best name in SC after vortex, 275 whp sounds good to me at this point. I really don't think the chassis could handle much more and still maintain the factory handling characteristics that made me like it so much to begin with
The Following User Says Thank You to Porschephile For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (02-14-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #9
Porschephile

I do like the p-tuning concept a lot as well but again $$$ I would def. Need the intercooler and I also need a good oil cooler as well, wondering if all of that on front of the radiator would interfere with airflow
Old 02-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #10
BRZChix

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschephile View Post
I do like the p-tuning concept a lot as well but again $$$ I would def. Need the intercooler and I also need a good oil cooler as well, wondering if all of that on front of the radiator would interfere with airflow
@mkivsoopra and @sw20kosh can help u with the oil cooler set up

both on ptuning heavily tracked under high temperature probably the 2 most fun 86s i've ever sat in at the track
BRZChix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRZChix For This Useful Post:
kanundrum (02-11-2015), mkivsoopra (02-10-2015)