follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 03-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #43
SubaSteve
Captain Cocoa

Drives: CBS BRZ MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Having a sign up saying they aren't responsible for damage is pure bs. 5 bucks says that wont hold up in court. Bet you the machine wasn't maintained properly and that's why it caused scratches.
SubaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #44
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David-Fermani.com View Post
Huge difference! 1 uses abrasion and the other doesn't.

There are no reports (to my knowledge) of a jet of water causing damage to a paint whether it's dirty or clean. If you can supply a link, I'd be happy to check it out.

Opti-Coat is impervious to chemicals and environmental contaminants. It's totally unlike any wax or sealant. If your car is coated with it, the chemicals from a touchless wash will not harm it or the finish below it.
I've personally experienced pressure washers taking my paint off. A minor paint chip turned into a dime sized piece of missing paint. Only hand wash for me-ever.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:10 AM   #45
blackraven1425

Drives: raven at
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
I've personally experienced pressure washers taking my paint off. A minor paint chip turned into a dime sized piece of missing paint. Only hand wash for me-ever.
Of course it did. If you've ever powerwashed a house (especially with the intention of removing an old coat of paint for a different color), you know that it's tough to crack into the paint with the powerwasher, but once a bit of the paint even cracks a tiny bit, the rest of it just comes flying off. The same thing happens to a car - you have a weakness in the paint caused by the chip. This is actually the fault of whoever was using the power washer for not noticing the chip and going easy around that spot or avoiding it altogether.
blackraven1425 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blackraven1425 For This Useful Post:
Cameronghanson (04-02-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #46
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
My car has an invisible bra on the bumper, fenders, full hood, head lights, and mirrors. The rest is opticoated.

The only time I touch my paint, is when I'm (very) gently washing it with a mitt. To dry, I drive it down the highway LOL. The remaining water droplets can be taken care of with an air compressor. As such, my car has over 6000 miles on it and not even fine clear coat scratches. I'm kinda OCD about it, if you can't tell.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #47
Brzetto

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clembo View Post
When I was in shipbuilding we used water jets to cut high strength steel up to 4 inches thick. So, no automatic carwashes of any kind for me. Although I would consider the 'topless' one provided they did it by hand!
Topless and splat in the same image haha, splat likes topless.
Brzetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #48
Cameronghanson

Drives: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekingduck View Post
I thought this thread was about prostate specific antigen, lol my mistake
lol... well we are kinda talking about dissolving something... for medical integration.
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #49
Cameronghanson

Quote:
thats the same basic argument as "ive gotten lots microbes on my skin and its never turned to Necrotizing fasciitis, but one time it got in a small wound it ended up destroying the surrounding tissue". I think david is talking about a continuous surface of sealed paint and its inherent ability to be hydrophobic as opposed to the water pressure being directed underneath that continuous layer separating the paint from the metal which doesnt not take a lot of force and could (and has) been done by hand-washing.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #50
russv
First 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronghanson View Post
thats the same basic argument as "ive gotten lots microbes on my skin and its never turned to Necrotizing fasciitis, but one time it got in a small wound it ended up destroying the surrounding tissue". I think david is talking about a continuous surface of sealed paint and its inherent ability to be hydrophobic as opposed to the water pressure being directed underneath that continuous layer separating the paint from the metal which doesnt not take a lot of force and could (and has) been done by hand-washing.
Try spraying a high pressure water nozzle on your skin. It hurts. Now imagine that kind of pressure on paint. It removes wax and any other protectant and can possibly remove paint if a chip is caught at the wrong angle. It also does a very poor job of removing a lot of dirt that would be removed from hand washing. To further a medical analogy, I'd prefer to use a non-invasive procedure. "The physician (detailer) must ... have two special objects in view with regard to disease (dirt), namely, to do good or to do no harm". I'd rather not take a chance on doing any harm.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #51
Cameronghanson

Quote:
Try spraying a high pressure water nozzle on your skin. It hurts. Now imagine that kind of pressure on paint. It removes wax and any other protectant and can possibly remove paint if a chip is caught at the wrong angle. It also does a very poor job of removing a lot of dirt that would be removed from hand washing. To further a medical analogy, I'd prefer to use a non-invasive procedure. "The physician (detailer) must ... have two special objects in view with regard to disease (dirt), namely, to do good or to do no harm". I'd rather not take a chance on doing any harm.
Haha mmm you sure you're a REAL physician! Also skin traveling at 70mph on a freeway hurts pretty bad too. So id avoid those as well
Old 04-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #52
russv
First 86

Quote:
Haha mmm you sure you're a REAL physician! Also skin traveling at 70mph on a freeway hurts pretty bad too. So id avoid those as well
Never said I was a physician, but worked with way too many-a bit like herding cats. Traveling at 70 mph is not always unavoidable, but not using high pressure washers is avoidable. Don't need to be a rocket surgeon to know that.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #53
Cameronghanson

Quote:
Never said I was a physician, but worked with way too many-a bit like herding cats. Traveling at 70 mph is not always unavoidable, but not using high pressure washers is avoidable. Don't need to be a rocket surgeon to know that.
True. But being a rocket surgeon might help. Ps just curious on how one herds cats. Post in DIY
Old 04-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #54
russv
First 86

Quote:
True. But being a rocket surgeon might help. Ps just curious on how one herds cats. Post in DIY
Herding cats is a myth. I could never do it.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #55
niceguy21
Socal Valley 86 Member

Drives: 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5 & Scion FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Never let no me other than yourself wash your car, trust had bad history with car washes long time ago with my parents cars, now I only pressure wash (rinse, hand scrub, rinse, dry and wax). Also another note, washing with water pressure machines don't destroy or damage paint, unless you shoot directly within micro inches, only times I've seen paint fly off because of shooting directly at a crack or chip in paint. Been washing my Cars like this and has always been cleaner then my neighbors $50 auto car washed vehicle.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
niceguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #56
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloS13 View Post
I'm not drinking water, people have drowned in that shit.
Im never taking a shower again.
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blu_ For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (04-03-2013)