follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 07-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #2409
Nitro22

Drives: Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan37BRZ View Post
Anybody running a carbon vented hood with their EBSC kit? Specifically the Seibon TS style ones?

I ordered one (ETA 6-10 weeks) and just realized, since it has vents, it drops down a little inside the hood, I know with the stock hood clearance is real tight, so tight that we had to remove the bottom insulation during the install.

I'm crossing my fingers this hood fits with the SC or else I'm screwed.
Sorry, not sure on the TS-Style Seibon Hood. I have the Seibon VS-Style and that clears no problem. Edelbrocks BRZ has the Seibon DV-Style, which they had to cut out some of the support bracing to clear the supercharger. Hopefully someone can show a picture of the underside of the hood as BigFatFlip stated.
Nitro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:34 PM   #2410
paiceyfan

Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
So, I am sad to say that after a wonderful 15 months or so, I now have problems with my Delicious-tuned, Edelbrock set-up. It started last week during stop-and-go traffic, where the revs would swing from 1000 to 3500 and back smoothly, but continuously, when I came to a halt. It went away for a couple of days and then this morning it is back, showing as surging while driving at low speed.

Interestingly, when I shut everything down and start back up, it is gone, but I have only tried this once.

I have a wild idea, but not sure if it is possible. Since everything was fine for a long time and now this has come about after a lot of cruise control use, is it possible I have switched from one map to another, causing this strange issue...?

Any ideas out there? I will try to log it this weekend.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #2411
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceyfan View Post
So, I am sad to say that after a wonderful 15 months or so, I now have problems with my Delicious-tuned, Edelbrock set-up. It started last week during stop-and-go traffic, where the revs would swing from 1000 to 3500 and back smoothly, but continuously, when I came to a halt. It went away for a couple of days and then this morning it is back, showing as surging while driving at low speed.

Interestingly, when I shut everything down and start back up, it is gone, but I have only tried this once.

I have a wild idea, but not sure if it is possible. Since everything was fine for a long time and now this has come about after a lot of cruise control use, is it possible I have switched from one map to another, causing this strange issue...?

Any ideas out there? I will try to log it this weekend.

Thanks.
Have you contacted Zach@Delicious? Are the rpm swings happening during idle? I would hazard a guess that you have a leak somewhere or a tube has popped off.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:47 PM   #2412
paiceyfan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Have you contacted Zach@Delicious? Are the rpm swings happening during idle? I would hazard a guess that you have a leak somewhere or a tube has popped off.
No, I haven't contacted Zach yet. I wanted to explore some ideas first. Yes, it happens on idle, but shows as surging at low speed. I will check for popped tubes tonight when the engine's cold.

Cheers.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #2413
armstrom

Drives: none
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had a similar experience the other day. do a quick datalog and look at your battery voltage. In my case I was getting surging at part throttle (smooth at full throttle) and I noticed that my voltage was changing from the typical 14V down to 12V when the surging was happening. I ended up tightening down the alternator cable and it fixed the problem. That may not be what is happening for you but it's a quick thing to check. I also have the Delicious tune but I'm running a Harrop rather than Edelbrock.
-Matt
armstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to armstrom For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-07-2017), sato (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #2414
paiceyfan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrom View Post
I had a similar experience the other day. do a quick datalog and look at your battery voltage. In my case I was getting surging at part throttle (smooth at full throttle) and I noticed that my voltage was changing from the typical 14V down to 12V when the surging was happening. I ended up tightening down the alternator cable and it fixed the problem. That may not be what is happening for you but it's a quick thing to check. I also have the Delicious tune but I'm running a Harrop rather than Edelbrock.
-Matt

Thanks for the advice...I will give that a look, too.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #2415
paiceyfan

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the advice...I will give that a look, too.

Yesterday, I left from work and within a few hundred yards the car partially died, or more accurately at high throttle, it was acting like it had very little throttle. I could put my foot to the floor. I stopped and restarted the car several times with no improvement. Then I opened up the hood and checked all the pipes and cables I could find. I got back in and it started fine and drove home. It had a code P2119, related to throttle position control. I cleared the code when I got home.

Now, I know this is crazy, but I am wondering if, after the comments above that, a cheap Bluetooth OBDII dongle had been draining the battery and causing this issue. The dongle was left in permanently for months, as I don't like attaching and detaching due to the pins deforming. Since, the dongle has been removed, all seems well again now. I will keep you informed of what I find as I continue to investigate.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:44 PM   #2416
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I got back in and it started fine and drove home. It had a code P2119, related to throttle position control. I cleared the code when I got home.
Interesting, that code (THROTTLE VALVE RETURN SPRING MALFUNCTION) sounds more like mechanical issue, but I have no idea. I do vaguely remember somebody else here getting that same code.

Edit: Found it
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1520

Don't know how it was resolved though. @Tomcat07 ?
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #2417
paiceyfan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Interesting, that code (THROTTLE VALVE RETURN SPRING MALFUNCTION) sounds more like mechanical issue, but I have no idea. I do vaguely remember somebody else here getting that same code.

Edit: Found it
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1520

Don't know how it was resolved though. @Tomcat07 ?

Thanks...I did a search on the forum and found a few code references, but not that specific thread. Battery voltage is 12-13v right now, so I think that it is ok. Just started her up again and no issues, revs nicely and idle rock solid.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:15 PM   #2418
Colin86

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan37BRZ View Post
Anybody running a carbon vented hood with their EBSC kit? Specifically the Seibon TS style ones?

Don't have that Seibon, but I do have a VIS carbon hood (AMS style) and it fits perfectly -even with the rain guards.
Colin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:34 AM   #2419
paiceyfan

Garage
Quote:
Thanks...I did a search on the forum and found a few code references, but not that specific thread. Battery voltage is 12-13v right now, so I think that it is ok. Just started her up again and no issues, revs nicely and idle rock solid.
OK...latest...since removing the Kobra OBDII dongle, I have had zero issues...can this really be responsible for such major issues? :eek:

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2017, 07:06 AM   #2420
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
OK...latest...since removing the Kobra OBDII dongle, I have had zero issues...can this really be responsible for such major issues? :eek:
Rather than wreck your OBDII port constantly plugging things into it, use one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I routed mine over to the passenger side, but yeah, I wouldn't leave anything plugged into the OBDII port long term for fear of battery drain or worse yet, device failure.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
bhmax (07-14-2017), Dadhawk (07-14-2017), paiceyfan (07-14-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 02:18 AM   #2421
Dan37BRZ
Senior Citizen

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro22 View Post
Sorry, not sure on the TS-Style Seibon Hood. I have the Seibon VS-Style and that clears no problem. Edelbrocks BRZ has the Seibon DV-Style, which they had to cut out some of the support bracing to clear the supercharger. Hopefully someone can show a picture of the underside of the hood as BigFatFlip stated.
I took the chance and got the Seibon TS hood, happy to report NO CLEARANCE ISSUES! Fits perfectly with the Edelbrock SC.

Got her painted and all is well, might be placebo but car feels like it runs stronger with less heatsoak.

Dan37BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dan37BRZ For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (07-26-2017), johan (07-23-2017), Nitro22 (07-27-2017), PR138 (07-24-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #2422
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Has anyone hit over 450whp on this kit yet?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote