follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 04-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #2227
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatAsianBradah View Post
My installer said, "The alternator had to be modified a bit by removing the clip for the regulator and bending the pin to clear."

No pictures on that, but you can imagine how it went
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
Well, I suppose I could bend the pin carefully. But do you know if when the clip was removed, did they hardwire the wire to the alternator or use a low profile type connector. Just curious, as I will likely try to modify my own and don't want to mess it up.
Get this man a picture!
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:22 PM   #2228
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Well we know on the 17 twins you need to make two changes on the alternator to make things fit.

1) You need to somehow reduce or replace the smaller black plug (circled in yellow below) . I don't have a sure-fire great idea on that yet, but will work on it this weekend.

2) you also need to move/manipulate the alternator power stud(pin, circle in blue below, rubber cover is concealing the stud) to allow the EBSC assy to fit. See below for reference but it appears to be pretty simple to clock the pin(stud) on the back of the alternator. I will be completing this, this weekend as well. You will need to trim/cut the thin black plastic cover on the back of the alternator. But it should be fairly easy to do, with no real issues.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1493407333

Attached Images

Last edited by brzaapi; 04-28-2017 at 03:55 PM.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (04-28-2017), CSG Mike (04-28-2017), gtengr (04-28-2017), itsibarra (04-28-2017), johan (04-28-2017), shiumai (04-28-2017), strat61caster (04-28-2017), taiguy (05-01-2017), Teseo (05-02-2017), ThatAsianBradah (04-28-2017), whataboutbob (05-01-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #2229
ThatAsianBradah

Drives: Toyota 86 2017 TRD Modded
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sorry for the late post but that is exactly what they did. They did move the pin and trimmed off a bit of the black plastic that would be butting up against the supercharger manifold itself. They then made sure that the fittings around the alternator were knit tight with tie straps.

I can confirm this works because I'm a day 1 driver of a 2017 Edelbrock S-charged 86 with no issues at all. I'm running Delicious Tuning's flash as well.
brzaapi (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 04:10 PM   #2230
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatAsianBradah View Post
Sorry for the late post but that is exactly what they did. They did move the pin and trimmed off a bit of the black plastic that would be butting up against the supercharger manifold itself. They then made sure that the fittings around the alternator were knit tight with tie straps.

I can confirm this works because I'm a day 1 driver of a 2017 Edelbrock S-charged 86 with no issues at all. I'm running Delicious Tuning's flash as well.
Well if I can break away from honey-do's and other weekend work, then I will hopefully be able to complete my install.

Inshallah.
The Following User Says Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
johan (04-28-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #2231
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
[MENTION=5912]Edelbrock LLC[MENTION], how long would you need a MY17? And do you offer any incentives for someone donating their car?
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:39 PM   #2232
Im_SPEED

Drives: FRS hot lava
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
How is everyone installing a radium pcv catch can? I'm using the factory line from the pcv to the inlet so I can used the supplied barb. But the vacuum is the wrong size. Smaller then the oem connection. A 1/2 to 3/8 barb would be nice bUT no one has them local.
Im_SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:57 AM   #2233
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Garage
My install isn't complete yet, so I wont say this works. But, I don't see why there will be any problems. If a problem arises while driving I will come back and update.

First clocking the main power connector pin/stud on the 2017MY Alternator works great. Pics below show the before and after.

The smaller connection is a bit trickier and there are many ways to handle it. You will need to make your own single wire pigtail essentially. I soldered a small pin on one end and a crimp/sleeve connector on the other. Bend and manipulate your pigtail till it fits proper. We placed the SC on the car 3 times for small adjustments, I was being picky, then on the 4th try the SC stayed on the block.

The only issue that I see, is that the small black connector on the alternator (see pic below circle in red) must be shaved. So, what I am saying is....even without the cables installed, the EBSC and the OEM alternator will touch, leaving no room for the OEM cable. So, you will have trim the connector on the alternator. But you can do this in a way that does not compromise the use of the connector should you wish to remove the SC.

My pics don't show this, but my small red pigtail wire is now secured and cover with a hard corrugated plastic sheath. The pics were taken right after install, and quickly, so I could use my remaining hour of "kitchen pass" and get more work done.

But, from what I can see....you can fairly easily make the EBSC work with a 2017 car. Hopefully edelbrock will have a more elegant solution in the future. Another reason not to damage your OEM connectors just yet.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1493726228

Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 09:38 AM   #2234
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_SPEED View Post
How is everyone installing a radium pcv catch can? I'm using the factory line from the pcv to the inlet so I can used the supplied barb. But the vacuum is the wrong size. Smaller then the oem connection. A 1/2 to 3/8 barb would be nice bUT no one has them local.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=64
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
Im_SPEED (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 08:54 PM   #2235
Dan37BRZ
Senior Citizen

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Finished installing my EBSC a couple days ago and have been driving it around constantly putting about 100 miles on it so far.

Car: 2015 BRZ Manual
Mods: Edelbrock 1556 Supercharger kit w/Moto-East Tune Support, Perrin 2.5" cat-back.
Fuel: 91 Octane

Installation impression:
Installation went without a hiccup, everything fits perfectly and bolted right up like OEM factory. Only extra things I had to buy to finish the install was 2 gallons of Subaru coolant, a fuel line disconnect tool, and a bottle of DOT 3 brake fluid (all listed in the instructions). Everything else was provided down to the smallest nut and bolt.

I did the install over the course of 3 days, a few hours each and took my time double checking and triple checking everything. I'm highly impressed with the instructions, although in one of the steps they listed a wrong size bolt (they said it was a 10mm bolt but it was actually a 12mm on the hood release latch), other than that everything was clear and accurate.

Hardest part of the install was lowering the supercharger into place while trying to keep the rubber manifold gasket from falling out. TIP: Use fishing line or dental floss to tie the gasket to the bottom of the runners, then when you have everything aligned, cut the line and pull it out. Keeps the gasket correctly aligned in the groove without the risk of it falling out, folding over and getting torn.

The only part of the kit that I wasn't impressed with was the airbox supplied. The way the filter sits inside and the way the cover bolts on seemed crude and fit/finish was a step down from the rest of the parts. The back cover seems to have been molded slightly lopsided, the inlet really needs to be over to the left by about 1/4 inch so everything lines up. One of the holes seemed to have been drilled too large also and the rubber grommet fits loosely, it works but just seems out of place compared to the rest of the kit, which is top notch.

Driving impression:
Currently driving with the Edelbrock supplied CARB tune, waiting on Moto-East to provide me with my initial tune and I will compare it. I will also be purchasing a Delicious tune w/D-BOX and do a 3 way comparison.

1st start, car fired right up. Car idled without any issues. Let it idle for about 20 minutes while I finished bleeding the radiator, supercharger cooling system and checking for leaks. Everything went perfect, no issues, no leaks, no fires and no explosions. Success!

After taking it out onto the road, I nailed it in 1st and a rush of torque just hits you. It was great! Took it to a nearby stretch of empty highway near me and did a full 1st-3rd gear pull, the power definitely puts you in your seat and you feel the constant strong acceleration with no flat spots. Power is immediate and available anytime, just floor it and you got a rush of power that feels like a wave of unrelenting torque. Loving it.

Okay, so now that we got all the good stuff out of the way, I don't think the CARB tune is refine enough to claim "stock like" drivability. Under full throttle, the power is smooth and very potent as claimed, it actually makes the engine feel smoother than it ever was N/A. Part throttle acceleration is where it definitely needs work, if you're cruising along lets say in 3rd or 4th gear at 2.5-3k RPMS, and you give it partial throttle (1/4 to 1/2 pedal travel) to accelerate smoothly, there is this jerky surging acceleration feeling to it. Not smooth at all. It will also have random bucking during part throttle acceleration. I'm almost positive it's tune related because a few other owners with the CARB tune have similar experiences, which apparently didn't occur in the original non-CARB tune they released. I'm guessing Edelbrock had their hands tied, it probably wasn't easy to get CARB certified and maybe compromises were made with the tune to pass at the expense of introducing some drivability issues, though I'm no emissions/tuning expert.

Other than the weird jerky/hesitation/surging feeling acceleration at part throttle, the kit feels great in half to full throttle situations. I have no real issues with idle hunting either, with or without the AC on once the car is warm. The only weird anomaly are first starts in the morning, the car will start and RPMS will jump to 2k to warm up the car for 5-10 seconds, then drop to 1k, then jump back up to 2k for a few seconds then back down to 1k and then level out. On more weird problem with idle on the CARB tune is the revs like to hang around 2000-2500 when you clutch in at slow speeds, it will stay there for like 10-15 seconds.

Overall I'm very pleased with the kit and the newfound power. I was watching Youtube videos of another EBSC owner named "LAW" and he is actually selling his kit because he claimed with the SC installed his car felt "rough" at higher RPMS. I was a little concerned with that but I'm happy to report my car doesn't exhibit any of that harshness he described. In fact now with the SC installed, the motor seems to be more smoother up in the higher rev range, I spent most of the day yesterday and today in the 4K+ range and it's just smooth power with no rough feeling.

So yeah, in conclusion the kit is near perfect, once (hopefully) I get the part throttle issue resolved with a proper tune, it WILL BE the perfect addition to our cars and has solved all complaints I've had about he BRZ/FRS twin.

Last edited by Dan37BRZ; 06-07-2017 at 04:05 AM.
Dan37BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dan37BRZ For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (05-04-2017), CallmeDave (04-01-2019), CSG Mike (05-04-2017), Dadhawk (05-04-2017), Nitro22 (05-04-2017), PR138 (05-06-2017), sato (05-03-2017), shiumai (05-03-2017), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (05-03-2017), taiguy (05-04-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #2236
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
From what I've read in this post, that jerkiness will probably go away as the ecu and new tune learn your driving style. Great write up!
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:51 PM   #2237
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies40 View Post
From what I've read in this post, that jerkiness will probably go away as the ecu and new tune learn your driving style. Great write up!
Not the hesitation he's referring to that I also experienced ever since I switched to the CARB tune from the initial one 7 months ago. I'm just living with it.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #2238
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
Not the hesitation he's referring to that I also experienced ever since I switched to the CARB tune from the initial one 7 months ago. I'm just living with it.
went away when I switched to the delicious tune (sorry that doesn't help if you need CARB compliance).
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:19 PM   #2239
Nitro22

Drives: Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
The CARB tune has its time and place. For me, NOW is neither the time nor the place.
Nitro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:31 PM   #2240
FuzzyFunk

Drives: FRS Monogram
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I believe you can still pass the smog test even if you have the original fixed tune instead of the carb tune as long you dont do any additional mods like header, e85. Pretty much anything visual when the tester opens the engine bay other than the supercharger itself. I got the carb sticker and the carb tune but never uploaded the carb tune and stuck with the original fixed tune after reading the issues people were posting here in regards to the carb tune. I asked an engineer at Edelbrock way back when my car was their test car If I can pass smog with the current tune I had and he said yes. Now if he is 100 percent correct, I don't know?! Anybody have any input on this in regards to passing smog with the non carb tune originally from edelbrock?
FuzzyFunk is offline   Reply With Quote