follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #15
slipdog

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Do you park in a garage? If you leave the wheels with TPMS in the garage they will be close enough for the car to pick up. If you only take short trips your light will never come on.
slipdog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slipdog For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 01:01 PM   #16
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
But how do I get the codes from my stock sensors to reprogram when switching back to my stock wheels after the winter? Pay someone to remove the tires to take a peek at them? Or is there another way?
When using the Quickset tool the original codes are pulled off, you can store them as the summer setting.

You can then get new TPMS for the winter set and go from there. This is also useful if you are running track wheels half the time but still want tire pressure monitoring if you drive the car to/from the track.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #17
sweetpea

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Keep one thing in mind, here in NY the car will not pass the safety inspection if the tpms sensors are not functioning properly. I have to put my summer wheels on when I go for the inspection then change them back again when I get home. Repair shops also will not put wheels on the car if there aren't sensors installed so I have to do it myself at home. When I got my winter tires mounted I went to three shops before I got one that would even do it, the first two wouldn't do it because it was obvious they were for my car because I had them in the back. The third did it because I went home and put the wheels and tires in my old Outback and brought them in to get it done, that car is an '06 so is before tpms was required.

This is yet another reason why not to live in NY!
sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpea For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #18
mav1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipdog View Post
Do you park in a garage? If you leave the wheels with TPMS in the garage they will be close enough for the car to pick up. If you only take short trips your light will never come on.
Sorry, not 100% true.

My BRZ was parked in the garage and the tires were approx. 5' to the passenger side on a wall rack. The lights never turned off.

Even when I had the wheels stacked next to the car it still did not reset TPMS. For the 3+ years I had the car I had aftermarket wheels without TPMS for about 2.5 of those years, and I drove the car weekly with the TPMS light always on at startup.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #19
Scotty2Hotty

Drives: nuthin'
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Keep one thing in mind, here in NY the car will not pass the safety inspection if the tpms sensors are not functioning properly. I have to put my summer wheels on when I go for the inspection then change them back again when I get home. Repair shops also will not put wheels on the car if there aren't sensors installed so I have to do it myself at home. When I got my winter tires mounted I went to three shops before I got one that would even do it, the first two wouldn't do it because it was obvious they were for my car because I had them in the back. The third did it because I went home and put the wheels and tires in my old Outback and brought them in to get it done, that car is an '06 so is before tpms was required.
Good point. I'm in Illinois - not sure if this will be an issue for me.
Scotty2Hotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #20
mav1178

Quote:
Good point. I'm in Illinois - not sure if this will be an issue for me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl..._United_States
Old 11-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #21
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Holy crap I had no idea so many places required safety inspection so frequently! How do some of you guys get away with the heavy duty mods?
Old 11-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #22
mav1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Holy crap I had no idea so many places required safety inspection so frequently! How do some of you guys get away with the heavy duty mods?
Usually it's just things like headlights, turn signals, uncracked windshields, and tires w/ tread.
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #23
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Usually it's just things like headlights, turn signals, uncracked windshields, and tires w/ tread.
Ahhh OK that makes sense.
We have to get a car safetied when bought used and other than annual emissions tests on vehicles 7 years or older that is it. They don't have to be checked again unless sold.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:14 PM   #24
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Here it's once a year and it's pretty thorough. All in all it's a good thing otherwise the number of outright dangerous vehicles would be astronomical. They pull two wheels to check brakes, all lights have to be functional, tires have to have reasonable tread depth and be less than a certain age, exhaust hangers are usually checked, all sorts of things. Just this year they changed the tint laws so you pretty much can't have anything other than factory tint because the cops got tired of being shot at from rear seat passengers they couldn't see. The shop will make you remove it in front of them or fail the car. Thankfully we don't have any emissions check in my county but the ones that do are getting to be nearly as onerous as California and most aftermarket exhausts won't pass.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:14 PM   #25
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
But how do I get the codes from my stock sensors to reprogram when switching back to my stock wheels after the winter?
The other guys have told you above, but I wanted to reiterate that this is super easy with an ATEQ Quickset and makes perfect sense when you do it. The instructions that come with it are straight-forward. You copy the existing TPMS addresses from the car's computer through the OBDII connector into the Quickset. You carry it inside the house and connect it to a computer to enter the NEW addresses (remember to write those down before you install the new sensors!). Then you have both sets of addresses stored in the Quickset. Every winter you just flash the correct set of addresses for the tires you're using.

The Quickset stores up to four sets of addresses, so if you get a set of track tires with another set of TPMS sensors, you can load those in there also. It even stores five sensors in each bank, so if you're lucky enough to be an Australian with a full sized spare, you can load the spare's TPMS sensor also.

I see no reason not to do it unless you're just strapped for cash and don't want to buy the Quickset.

Quote:
Keep one thing in mind, here in NY the car will not pass the safety inspection if the tpms sensors are not functioning properly.
That's interesting that you have had those issues. Tire Rack says TPMS is inspected but is advisory only, not grounds for failure. New York's own inspection page says nothing at all about TPMS sensors.

When I lived in NYC years ago the inspections were a huge scam. Since the inspection stations were also repair stations, they would "fail" people for issues that weren't actually grounds for failing, then offer to repair the problem to help them pass. If inspectors are telling people they'll fail for a TPMS light, I can't help but think this is still happening.

Quote:
I had to go through safety inspections in Louisiana and Texas. If the tires have tread, the windshield isn't cracked, the brakes work, the lights work and the horn blows, it'll pass. Louisiana also checks window tint if it looks dark; not sure if Texas did.

We have a lot of complaints on the Jeep groups about Pennsylvania. PA inspectors have been known to fail Wranglers for not having doors, when the damned things are made to run without them. They'll fail you for rust in non-structural panels. They'll fail you if your tires extend past your fender flares. My 18x9.5 RPF1s on my BRZ would probably fail in PA because they poke a little in the front.

Where I live in Florida we have no inspections whatsoever. Some of the things I see on the road here look like they were put back on the road by Aborigine bush mechanics.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-07-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #26
gravitylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
That's interesting that you have had those issues. Tire Rack says TPMS is inspected but is advisory only, not grounds for failure. New York's own inspection page says nothing at all about TPMS sensors.

When I lived in NYC years ago the inspections were a huge scam. Since the inspection stations were also repair stations, they would "fail" people for issues that weren't actually grounds for failing, then offer to repair the problem to help them pass. If inspectors are telling people they'll fail for a TPMS light, I can't help but think this is still happening.
It can say whatever it wants but when they plug into the OBDII port it shows up as a malfunction and any codes being thrown are justification for failure. At that point the vehicle has to be driven at least 75 miles after the problem has been corrected to reset the ECU to the point where it will pass. So, it's not just that stations tell you that your car will fail the computer will not print out a valid inspection sticker because of the malfunction and those computers are checked and calibrated by the dept of weights and measures annually and can't be tampered with. Many of the actual safety issues are more subjective and can be fudged like brake pad/rotor thickness, functional lights and windshield integrity.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #27
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
It can say whatever it wants but when they plug into the OBDII port it shows up as a malfunction and any codes being thrown are justification for failure. At that point the vehicle has to be driven at least 75 miles after the problem has been corrected to reset the ECU to the point where it will pass. So, it's not just that stations tell you that your car will fail the computer will not print out a valid inspection sticker because of the malfunction and those computers are checked and calibrated by the dept of weights and measures annually and can't be tampered with. Many of the actual safety issues are more subjective and can be fudged like brake pad/rotor thickness, functional lights and windshield integrity.
You have actually failed for this?

When the TPMS light came on in my car when I swapped the sensors, it didn't cause the MIL to illuminate or a DTC to be stored. It just lit up the tire light on the dash. There would be no trouble code to justify a failure, nor would it require 75 miles to clear it. On mine the tire light went off before I got to the end of the street.

I remain skeptical. What code did you get when your TPMS wasn't installed?
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #28
gravitylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
You have actually failed for this?

When the TPMS light came on in my car when I swapped the sensors, it didn't cause the MIL to illuminate or a DTC to be stored. It just lit up the tire light on the dash. There would be no trouble code to justify a failure, nor would it require 75 miles to clear it. On mine the tire light went off before I got to the end of the street.

I remain skeptical. What code did you get when your TPMS wasn't installed?
The shops that do the inspections won't even start the process if the light is on. They also won't put wheels on a car that is supposed to have sensors if they're not installed. Most tire shops charge an additional $20 to as much as $40 per wheel to transfer the sensors because they say you need a new sticker kit or whatever it's called because the glue goes bad and it takes time to do it so nobody does it for their winter setup.

I have no idea about stored codes but have been told by numerous shops that it shows up when they plug in.