follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-09-2021, 10:48 AM   #15
coastwardpig

Drives: '19 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This ^
Once upon a time in the days of yore cars did not have expansion tanks. When the coolant expanded too much it came out the tube and pissed out all over the road. This of course meant that eventually the level would drop in the rad and have to be topped up with the proper MIX of water and "antifreeze".
Then one day some tree hugging hippes complained that cars should probably not be pour toxic chemical out all over the roads and the companies added the expansion tanks to hold that mix.
Unfortunately the tanks could not be air tight or else the pressure to release the expanded coolant would have to be incredible so they added venting to them. When the expansion tank fills up the coolant is HOT and the water evaporates off leaving behind the "antifreeze".
Strangely enough when the expansion tank is empty it does not mean the coolant is actually low. Unless you have had a leak (you will know it) what it really means is that the rad has just leveled itself off to the perfect amount inside when it is hot. The 6 ounces or so less when it is cold means nothing as far as cooling goes.
So the moral of the story is... If you have not had a physical leak but your expansion tank RESERVE is low, just add distilled water not "antifreeze". Your coolant concentration has not changed and all you need to do is replace those few ounces of evaporated water.
Now, if you have had a leak that is a whole different ball game.

Very interesting. Thankfully, it doesn't appear to be a coolant leak but I will be keeping a closer look at my fluids going forward.

Last edited by coastwardpig; 04-15-2021 at 09:44 AM. Reason: minor grammatical error
coastwardpig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coastwardpig For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-09-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 11:17 PM   #16
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Then one day some tree hugging hippes complained that cars should probably not be pour toxic chemical out all over the roads and the companies added the expansion tanks to hold that mix..............
Here all along I thought they added the expansion tanks so as the snowflakes wouldn't open up an overheated radiator and spray hot coolant all over themselves -

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
coastwardpig (04-15-2021), MuseChaser (04-19-2021), Tcoat (04-15-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 10:56 PM   #17
ghostzfh

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Halo
From my experience, employees at dealerships don't really care that much. I went in one time for an oil change and tire rotation. One guy "manually" took off my Mcgard locks and left teeth bites all over them likely from using pipe pliers without asking me if I had the wheel key. Then after all was said and done, I checked my engine oil, there was only one drop of oil on the dipstick. (eyeroll)

Would like to hear other people's routine maintenance horror stories.
ghostzfh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ghostzfh For This Useful Post:
coastwardpig (04-18-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 08:20 AM   #18
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykate View Post
Yeah I got mine with pretty low coolant too.
Makes me really want to change my oil shortly; I just can't decide if I want to do it myself (which requires the investment of a jack, stands, etc) or just take it someplace which is easier and cheaper in the short term (the latter being the real issue).
Do it yourself if you have the space. It is so much nicer to be able to do what you need to do without dealing with people that you have never met and you do not know. The money you save over the long run will absolutely be more than the price of good tools for the job.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #19
coastwardpig

Drives: '19 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostzfh View Post
From my experience, employees at dealerships don't really care that much. I went in one time for an oil change and tire rotation. One guy "manually" took off my Mcgard locks and left teeth bites all over them likely from using pipe pliers without asking me if I had the wheel key. Then after all was said and done, I checked my engine oil, there was only one drop of oil on the dipstick. (eyeroll)

Would like to hear other people's routine maintenance horror stories.

I agree 100%. It's a shame that we need to verify that the work we payed to have performed on our vehicles was actually completed. For car enthusiast such as the members of this community it's not as much of an issue because we'll often double-check the work, but what about the other 90% non-enthusiasts? I'm getting tired of having to fight to hold companies to the standards they promote.
coastwardpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:14 PM   #20
ghostzfh

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Halo
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastwardpig View Post
I agree 100%. It's a shame that we need to verify that the work we payed to have performed on our vehicles was actually completed. For car enthusiast such as the members of this community it's not as much of an issue because we'll often double-check the work, but what about the other 90% non-enthusiasts? I'm getting tired of having to fight to hold companies to the standards they promote.
100% agreed. It sucks, but it is how the world works... Most employees at these places have lack of conscientiousness and we have to be the ones to pay for it. Now I have to check all work done on my car after ever single visit, either it be an autobody shop or a dealership for routine maintenance.
ghostzfh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ghostzfh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 02:24 PM   #21
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastwardpig View Post
as the worker, i do my best a lot of times to walk people through the work i performed at the very end, many times offering them the old/broken parts if they want to hold onto them. i take pride in doing the work as needed, and don't mind people making sure that the work was done as they wanted-- i prefer to do the same.

most people want nothing to do with any of it.

thing brok? u fx thing?
yea.
gud.
coastwardpig (04-18-2021), NoHaveMSG (04-20-2021), x808drifter (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 12:45 AM   #22
Kittykate

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Do it yourself if you have the space. It is so much nicer to be able to do what you need to do without dealing with people that you have never met and you do not know. The money you save over the long run will absolutely be more than the price of good tools for the job.

There's some kind of oil pan drain or something I think I saw mentioned a couple times when I was researching prior to purchasing the car. I can't recall what it was but it was highly praised for making it an easier job. You happen to know what it is?
Kittykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:27 AM   #23
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykate View Post
There's some kind of oil pan drain or something I think I saw mentioned a couple times when I was researching prior to purchasing the car. I can't recall what it was but it was highly praised for making it an easier job. You happen to know what it is?
Fumoto quick drain oil valve. Only problem is it can sit lower than the rest of the vehicle and can catch on the road or debris if you car is lowered.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:01 PM   #24
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Fumoto quick drain oil valve. Only problem is it can sit lower than the rest of the vehicle and can catch on the road or debris if you car is lowered.
not really. if you hit anything hard enough to go a 1/2" up into the skidplate, you're already having a really bad day, and the oil mess is going to be expected at that point anyways.

Tcoat (04-20-2021), theneptune86 (04-20-2021), why? (04-23-2021), wolffbite (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 03:07 AM   #25
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I think the story he is thinking of is from someone out here.
Here you go.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107631

Long Nipple Version.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
why? (04-23-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 10:48 AM   #26
ROADRACER

Drives: unlimited cheap build N/A track car
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You really don't know if your coolant is actually low unless you take the cap off of the radiator and look. Do this when the engine is cold. Then you will be able to see how much coolant you actually lost. If you cant see coolant add it directly into the radiator until it is full and then fill the reservoir to the proper level.
ROADRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ROADRACER For This Useful Post:
coastwardpig (05-06-2021)