follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #5503
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsche View Post
I'd say without tuning, just throwing on the smaller pulley will produce a negligible difference. I think my second gear tire squeals were a touch longer but it didn't blow me away
Can I see a hi res version of your user pic?
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #5504
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
After driving it to work today I feel a lot better about it. I'm wondering now if it wasn't the pulley causing any issue but the uh.. other mistake I made. Maybe I'll put the 69mm back on. E85 is gonna be my next step, just debating if i should get the Visconti flex kit or wait for Bill to release his.
If you want to get one now, get one from @moto-mike. With all the bad press on Visconti, I try to stay away from anything with his name attatched to it. I'm waiting on @DeliciousTuning to release their kit as well but if for whatever reason I decided to get one now, it would be from the guys at Moto-East.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #5505
MINOCIN

Drives: Asphalt 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Ok I put the 75mm pulley on and while i was there I noticed something I forgot to do during install. I'm not even gonna tell, it's really stupid and I bet it had something to do with the lack of performance.

Gonna look into switching maps too
C'mon, you got to put your ego aside. Otherwise how else will you and the rest of us learn? You say you think what you forgot to install may have been the culprit of the low performance, but I more concerned with if what you forgot to install could have hurt your engine or the kit.

I was going to say that maybe you didn't put any gear oil in the charger itself but then I remembered that they come prefilled.

Also, do you find the whirl and whine of the supercharger to still be obnoxiously loud? If so then don't worry about it, once you get headers installed you'll barely even notice it anymore lol

As for the accelerator trim settings on the maps, you would want to confirm with Zach or Bill on how yours is configured but they normally come assigned like this:

MAP 1: SOFT
MAP 2: STANDARD & Auto Throttle-Blip
MAP 3: SPORT (Optional - Fuel Type: E85 or 93)
MAP 4: DRAG & Auto Throttle-Blip (Optional - Fuel Type: E85 or 93)

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." -Oscar Gamble
MINOCIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #5506
brianhj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
If you want to get one now, get one from @moto-mike. With all the bad press on Visconti, I try to stay away from anything with his name attatched to it. I'm waiting on @DeliciousTuning to release their kit as well but if for whatever reason I decided to get one now, it would be from the guys at Moto-East.
I'm attracted to Visconti's because people have said it's actually a good kit AND mainly because with Version 2 no cutting of hoses is required. Although it is pricey I don't want to have to cut fuel lines just so it is easily reversible.

I just looked up @moto-mike 's kit and it appears that it doesn't require cutting either. Sweet maybe I'll go with that. It's a lot cheaper too.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #5507
poorsche

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited, 2000 Impreza Sport
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yea I'll post it later, dimensions are too big I need to resize on my laptop. I'm installing the perrin 3" Cai today too and I'll post a pic of that finished as wel
Old 10-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #5508
brianhj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINOCIN View Post
C'mon, you got to put your ego aside. Otherwise how else will you and the rest of us learn? You say you think what you forgot to install may have been the culprit of the low performance, but I more concerned with if what you forgot to install could have hurt your engine or the kit.

I was going to say that maybe you didn't put any gear oil in the charger itself but then I remembered that they come prefilled.

Also, do you find the whirl and whine of the supercharger to still be obnoxiously loud? If so then don't worry about it, once you get headers installed you'll barely even notice it anymore lol

As for the accelerator trim settings on the maps, you would want to confirm with Zach or Bill on how yours is configured but they normally come assigned like this:

MAP 1: SOFT
MAP 2: STANDARD & Auto Throttle-Blip
MAP 3: SPORT (Optional - Fuel Type: E85 or 93)
MAP 4: DRAG & Auto Throttle-Blip (Optional - Fuel Type: E85 or 93)
Lol I want a header and maybe exhaust but I don't want anything loud. Probably EL header with cat. Like I said the more gains I can get out of the twin screw the less the whine will annoy me ahahhaha.

The 4 maps... is there a difference between 1 and 2 besides auto-blip?
Old 10-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #5509
MINOCIN

Drives: Asphalt 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Lol I want a header and maybe exhaust but I don't want anything loud. Probably EL header with cat. Like I said the more gains I can get out of the twin screw the less the whine will annoy me ahahhaha.
I've learned to appreciate the loud exhaust somewhat. As much as it can be annoying it is also very useful

All the headers I've heard definitely make the car louder. The only real way to tame them that I've heard is to stick with the stock muffler. The oem muffler keeps the exhaust quiet except for when you're really revving it out. It is often said that you don't get any real performance gains from aftermarket mufflers/axlebacks so you'll only be missing out in the looks department. The oem muffler is also designed to work with the aerodynamics of the car. Without a rear diffuser an aftermarket muffler will generate more drag and lift at higher speeds.

Quote:
Map 1 is SOFT (ECO mode). Personally I don't like this mode at all. It makes the car feel vague, less responsive and slow. Map 2 is Standard and it provides you with the throttle response that you should already be accustomed to.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." -Oscar Gamble
MINOCIN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MINOCIN For This Useful Post:
brianhj (10-19-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #5510
poorsche

Quote:

I think blower whine is awesome. Always loved the sound of a muscle car with a Weiand or Eaton winding up on top. I think having that sound on a flat 4 is a head turner.
brianhj (10-19-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #5511
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm attracted to Visconti's because people have said it's actually a good kit AND mainly because with Version 2 no cutting of hoses is required. Although it is pricey I don't want to have to cut fuel lines just so it is easily reversible.

I just looked up @moto-mike 's kit and it appears that it doesn't require cutting either. Sweet maybe I'll go with that. It's a lot cheaper too.
Also with the Moto-East kit, if anything arises, you can be rest assured that you will get great customer service. Visconti on the other hand is a hit or miss. I've heard both good and bad depending on his mood at any given moment. More bad than good though I'm afraid. For instance when he first released his flex fuel kit and there were numerous complaints about fuel leaks, he attributed it all to installation error and never a manufacturing error.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dustin For This Useful Post:
brianhj (10-19-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #5512
brianhj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINOCIN View Post
Also, do you find the whirl and whine of the supercharger to still be obnoxiously loud?
A little lol

How soon after resetting AVG MPG should i start seeing normal numbers? I'm at like 12 AVG MPG but I'm assuming it's because I just reset it by disconnecting battery?
Old 10-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #5513
poorsche

Quote:
Before and after perrin 3" big maf cai. Lots of red plasti dip and lots of patience and it turned out pretty good.
Attached Images

brianhj (10-19-2014), MINOCIN (10-19-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #5514
brianhj

I like the red intake tube!
Old 10-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #5515
brianhj

Would anyone be able to record the supercharger whine from inside while idling? And giving it a little gas, maybe to 2k rpm or so, back and forth a few times.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #5516
poorsche

Quote:
I like the red intake tube!
Thanks, I originally plasti dipped it black because I didn't like the smooth plastic finish. It held up so well that I decided to get the red perrin tube and match it. I'm very happy with how it turned out. Also dipped my yellow fluid caps black and battery tie down red. Cheap way to clean the engine bay up.

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.