follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2023, 10:44 AM   #85
ballsdeep

Drives: Ocho-Seis
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Awesome build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kask2_6.0 View Post
Finished up the PDM wiring this weekend. PDM is controlling the radiator fans, motec ECU, coils, lambda controllers, and reverse lockout solenoid. Some sensors, gps module, and dash control buttons wired into it as well. It’s also taking data from two can buses. On the CAN1 bus I have the Motec and the factory Subaru bus. On CAN2 I have the two AEM lambda controllers and MSEL battery relay. Will be adding the Aim RIO02 module to that bus too when it’s finally released.
Been studying up on CAN bus and hope to learn from your setup. The A17 and D43 junction connections were used for your CAN1 and CAN2? Are the devices on CAN2 wired as a new main bus line from D43's 9 & 20 (lambda controllers as stubs, battery relay at the end), with a single terminating resistor?

Last edited by ballsdeep; 05-25-2023 at 11:24 AM.
ballsdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 03:37 PM   #86
kask2_6.0

Drives: 13 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballsdeep View Post
Awesome build!

Been studying up on CAN bus and hope to learn from your setup. The A17 and D43 junction connections were used for your CAN1 and CAN2? Are the devices on CAN2 wired as a new main bus line from D43's 9 & 20 (lambda controllers as stubs, battery relay at the end), with a single terminating resistor?
With the PDM CAN1 and CAN2 are completely different busses. On the CAN1 bus I am sharing the Motec and OEM signals. Luckily their CAN ID's don't have any overlap so it works out just fine. I tapped into the OEM bus at a junction behind the glovebox. Can't remember it's name off the top of my head but I believe that would be the D43 junction you are referring to. But from what I can tell in the wiring diagram the OBDII port is directly connected to the main bus without a buffer to block signals. You could potentially just connect directly to the port with the mating connector and save some hassle.

I have mine setup so that CAN2 is completely independent of anything that already existed on the vehicle. I have it reading all additional CAN based sensors and the keypad. On this bus I can send and receive any signals without any real worry of interfering with something on the main bus. Things like the AEM lambda controllers have fixed CAN ID's and formats so not all aftermarket CAN connections will play nice with the OEM bus (overlapping signal ID's). That is why I have them separated. That being said anything I read from CAN2 I can create my own ID and resend it to CAN1 with the ID, units, and scaling the Motec would expect, which is what I am doing for lambda and oil pressure signals.

My CAN bus knowledge is limited but from my experience it's best to minimize any additional signals sent on an existing critical bus if you can. Reading is one thing but sending signals can cause some unexpected problems. What hardware are you planning to add? @geraldjust should be able to answer any CAN bus specific questions much better than I can.
kask2_6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kask2_6.0 For This Useful Post:
ballsdeep (05-25-2023)
Old 06-09-2023, 08:40 PM   #87
kask2_6.0

Drives: 13 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Actually took some pictures of the full car and outside of a garage for once.
kask2_6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote