follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
Rakino

Drives: Blue GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can the dealer changed the onroad price after deposit was paid?

Hi all

I am new to the forum but have been reading your posts for quite a while and find them very informative. I haven’t had a reason to post yet and am waiting for my car. I have a question about a change to the delivery price. I ordered a GTS Manual on June 30. My dealer informed me today that: "Due to Vic Road increasing of rego and stamp duty. I attached the copy of new contract. There is a difference of about $20. For any queries please give me a call". The actual change in total price was $209.31 (not $20 as he stated). The following items changed in price:

-Registration Fee
-Compulsory Third Party
-Stamp Duty

My questions to members are this:

-Has anyone else experienced this?
-Can the dealer change the on road price after a deposit is paid for non-dealer associated fees? I have asked vicroads as well but no reply yet.

Thanks for any answers.

Rakino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:29 AM   #2
loi

Drives: Peugeot 307
Well in Victoria from July 1st, the stamp duty went up from 2.5% -> 3% so roughly about $200 extra. My dealer already factored that in when I ordered in June so that sounds about right to me. What is the revised price?
loi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
Rakino

Ok. Price went from $39,367 to $39,577. So $210. Does it sound about right to you then?

Cheers
Old 07-09-2012, 03:32 AM   #4
Z86

Drives: 86 GTS Auto in Pegasus White
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
They'll probably blame the carbon tax.
Check your contract - they are usually written in favour of the dealer being able to change it for things that are out of their control. Although given that you signed on June 30 - they should have known if vic roads was increasing its fees.
Z86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:34 AM   #5
Gir

Drives: 86 GT Manual - Sonic Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I got the same thing. It's the price increase on stamp duty.

They can change the price after the contract is signed, but you then have the right to cancel the contract and get your deposit back.
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:16 AM   #6
Rakino

Right. Sounds like it is pretty normal then. I checked my contract. Doesn’t say anything about change to the fees but does stipulate the are acting as an agent paying on my behalf. So I guess they don’t pay until the actual delivery date. I think that is fair as they aren’t a bank. Thx for the answers.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:22 AM   #7
BRAWL

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Velocity Orange
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gir View Post
I got the same thing. It's the price increase on stamp duty.

They can change the price after the contract is signed, but you then have the right to cancel the contract and get your deposit back.
Unfortunately not in WA Only way of wriggling out of getting the car is if finance is not approved.

You can either get yourself fired (not recommended!) or takeout a massive personal loan from a bank so that dealership finance can't be approved then just pay back afterwards. Dodgy, but it's the way it is
BRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #8
450hp/tonne

Drives: 2011 Corolla Ascent Sport
Stamp duty is based on the rate applicable on the registration application lodgement date, so the new duty will be payable. If you read the terms and conditions on the back page of your "contract for sale of new motor vehicle" you will find in section 2 (a), last sentence, that "the additional duty" is payable by you.
450hp/tonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Gir

Drives: 86 GT Manual - Sonic Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZed View Post
Unfortunately not in WA Only way of wriggling out of getting the car is if finance is not approved.

You can either get yourself fired (not recommended!) or takeout a massive personal loan from a bank so that dealership finance can't be approved then just pay back afterwards. Dodgy, but it's the way it is
I believe this is an ACCC rule, so it does apply to WA.
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote