follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #29
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The 323 is all strut and porche designed it (apparently)
Iv never had issues apart from snap oversteer but that was due to the rediculously stiff swaybars+tower braces+springs I had on payload, the car would squat about 5mm.. Overly stiff for street but SO fun in corners
My 8 is different. Double a-arm front and multylink rear, has a very soft ride but very low body roll. Planing on getting some thick swaybars and stiffer bracers very soon (and some chasis bracing as well)
Old 11-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #30
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
maybe its just me but i think i would rather keep the miata to auto x. i would have to imagine that the miatas suspension is going to give you a more useable camber curve while still needing less - camber simply because of the design. all that suspension talk aside, you have a car with a huge aftermarket and a car that has already been dialed in by many people. then there is the factor of tire which has gotta be the second biggest issue for auto x behind driver. the miata can fit some significant amounts of tire in the wheel wells. that combined with the fact that you already have the miata make it seem like you should hold on to it and see what people start doing with these cars.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #31
Merlin

Drives: 1974 Celica
Hopefully, Toyota and Subaru has design the front Macpherson strut to the newer super strut design like the Ford Focus RS in Europe. The inclination angle is not inline of the pivot points. which gives a different scrub radius than typical Macpherson. I believe the Porsche Cayman design their Macpherson stut this way, the reason the Cayman handles very well.
The FR-S will not fit in the "ST" class because of the limited slip. It should fit the "STX" class well.
I also want to try it in the stock class. More likely to be classed in
D-stock.
http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/journal-wp-content//uploads/2009/02/revo-knuckle.pdf
Even though Ford design this for a front wheel drive to cure torque steer, it still can advance the steering feel for macpherson strut.

Cliff
369 st civic

Last edited by Merlin; 11-04-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #32
Silverhks

Drives: 07 STi STU #17
As mentioned before the problem is not static camber on a strut car, but dynamic camber. The problem comes from the SAI built into struts. This is something I knew from experience autoxing bmw e30s but didn't understand. I used to run 9.8 deg of caster and only 2-2.5 deg of camber.
The reasoning behind this is involved and the best description I have seen of it is by stretch on iwst.com, go search it.

But what it boils down to is you want to run as much caster as possible (there is an upper limit of what works, but is different for every car) and as little added camber At the TOP of the strut as possible. If you need to add static camber do it at the bottom with slots on strut or camber bolts.

In the STi I am running 6.8 deg caster, all I could get, and only 1.5 deg of camber. With a 245 stretched on a 9.5" wheel I am getting very even tire wear and wonderful front grip.

Also, I think it was mentioned but this car will Not be eligible for STR due to the back seat. It should fit in wonderfully in STX however. And is hopefully dominate
Silverhks is offline   Reply With Quote