follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
ScionFR-S

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation After Market Problem Signals Fuse Popped- Car Wont Go into Gear

hey guys , i really hope someone mechanically inclined can help me out. i was installing a aftermarket signal box that had resistors in it to make the signaling of the flashers at a normal pace. in the process of me trying to find the stock box behind the steering wheel and in one of the hardest spots in the hole car to access i tried to take the piece apart. i tried to take the white plastic piece out of the box to install the aftermarket box. in the process of prying it out i cracked the stock original piece in two. the white plastic piece with the wiring is fine and uninjured. i then proceeded to install the aftermarket box noticing that my hazards and headlights and dashboard wouldnt work. my car wont go into gear and my fog lights side markers, license plate light, and brake lights WONT TURN OFF. i looked in the fuse box and i popped Fuse 32 i believe.. could it just be that i popped a fuse a replacing it should fix the problems? i dont understand why my car wont go into gear. the car turns on fine but wont go into gear.

PLEASE HELP!
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

ScionFR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
ScionFR-S

bump
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

Old 11-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
ScionFR-S

it was just two blown fuses, one in the engine bay for signals 7.5 amp and one in the instrument panel 7.5 amp for the gears and gauges, car not moving was probably a safety feature.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
MrTranxD

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Nice lol.Glad u got that figured out lol. I was just gonna say to replace the fuses first xD
MrTranxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
ScionFR-S

hahaha love how i get 160 views and no comment to help me out, i was freaking out i thought i broke the whole car haha... weird how the safety feature was to lock the car and you cant move it at all. just imagine if you had no clue what happened and a fuse was popped and you were in the middle of the highway and your car doesnt move ... pictures will be posted soon though of the LEDs in the front and rear signals

Old 11-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,849 Times in 1,638 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Just read this or would have offered help. Fuses sometimes blow when you tamper with relays, lamps, connectors etc. always make sure everything is powered off until instal complete. If blown fuse, first replace and hope Thas where the damage stopped.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
CircuitJerk
Pull my finger...

Drives: Silver Scion Slushbox
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Best to take the negative terminal off the battery before doing anything electrical. This includes installing an intake or moving anything around that could potentially cause a short.
This even bites a pro in the ass once in a while....
CircuitJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
i_4got

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionFR-S View Post
hey guys , i really hope someone mechanically inclined can help me out. i was installing a aftermarket signal box that had resistors in it to make the signaling of the flashers at a normal pace. in the process of me trying to find the stock box behind the steering wheel and in one of the hardest spots in the hole car to access i tried to take the piece apart. i tried to take the white plastic piece out of the box to install the aftermarket box. in the process of prying it out i cracked the stock original piece in two. the white plastic piece with the wiring is fine and uninjured. i then proceeded to install the aftermarket box noticing that my hazards and headlights and dashboard wouldnt work. my car wont go into gear and my fog lights side markers, license plate light, and brake lights WONT TURN OFF. i looked in the fuse box and i popped Fuse 32 i believe.. could it just be that i popped a fuse a replacing it should fix the problems? i dont understand why my car wont go into gear. the car turns on fine but wont go into gear.

PLEASE HELP!
Wow, I JUST had the exact same problem doing the same install as you. How did you go about reparing it? I'm not handy at all so please explain as simply as possible.
i_4got is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
i_4got

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircuitJerk View Post
Best to take the negative terminal off the battery before doing anything electrical. This includes installing an intake or moving anything around that could potentially cause a short.
This even bites a pro in the ass once in a while....
Does this include changing bulbs? Like if I want to replace my DRL bulbs with LEDs, would you recommend this as well? Or is not relevant?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
CircuitJerk
Pull my finger...

Drives: Silver Scion Slushbox
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_4got View Post
Does this include changing bulbs? Like if I want to replace my DRL bulbs with LEDs, would you recommend this as well? Or is not relevant?
Not relevant. I should have been more specific, but it was intended within the context of this thread.
CircuitJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
ScionFR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_4got View Post
Wow, I JUST had the exact same problem doing the same install as you. How did you go about reparing it? I'm not handy at all so please explain as simply as possible.
all i did was get the manual look at the fuse box and instrument panel and matched up what fuses went with what on the car, checked to see if the fuses were blown ( if the line in the center is broken then its blown ) and then just replaced the fuses and bam Good to Go

Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just think if you had shorted out the air bag system and it deployed them all....was is worth not disconnecting that one little 10mm bolt on the battery? OP I assume your car is an automatic?
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
i_4got

Quote:
Originally Posted by White64Goat View Post
Just think if you had shorted out the air bag system and it deployed them all....was is worth not disconnecting that one little 10mm bolt on the battery? OP I assume your car is an automatic?
I'm not sure about OP, but I personally never knew to disconnect the battery (or whatever it is you guys are talking about). Can you please clarify which modifications would require disconnecting the battery first? As CircuitJerk said above, replacing a bulb wouldn't require doing this, but what would? From this discussion, it sounds like replacing the flash relay is one of these mods that require disconnecting the battery first. What else?
Old 11-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #14
JohnS_Rosamond

Drives: Mazda MX5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You should disconnect the battery any time that you are going to interfere with a circuit. For example, installing a radio, installing an alarm, things of this nature. If you are actively looking for an electrical fault, it's better to back-probe a connector than to take it apart. Also many new cars have a body-control module (a computer that runs the interiour accessories). So, be careful.
JohnS_Rosamond is offline   Reply With Quote