follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2021, 03:35 AM   #1
tenderization

Drives: 88 RX-7, 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quirks and Features

Too many posts seem to be oriented towards how the car drives without enough thought towards inane documentation of the quirks and features.

The obvious ones are the turn signal without any detents and the lack of a fuel door release button. I'll get this thread going with some even more useless observations:
  • The prioritization of what gets power when the ignition is off is weird. If carplay was active, the stereo keeps going until the phone is disconnected or you open the door. However, the homelink garage door opener doesn't get power unless the ignition is on (not just ACC). A bit annoying as I'm used to killing the engine as soon as the car's in the garage to avoid fumigating the house (more of a problem with the RX-7 but still).
  • The shift/rev-beep comes on in 6th gear. Somewhat useful during break-in as I set my reminder at 3500rpm which is ~80mph in 6th, but what about normal use? Am I supposed to shift into 7th?
  • Range estimate is extremely slow to adapt/very pessimistic. I've put 18+ gallons through the car averaging about 26mpg and I get a range estimate of 260 miles when the car is full, up from ... 240 when it had 11 miles on the odometer. I'll have a quarter to a third tank remaining indicated after I've used up the entire estimated range.
  • The little upshift indicator is the most aggressive (aggressively short shifting) I've ever seen. I thought the arrow nags in my old Mazda3 and RX-7 were aggressive, but they seem to come on in the BRZ when I feel like I'm lugging the engine in the _current_ gear. 100% guaranteed to piss off everyone behind you in the burbs if you obey the arrows.
tenderization is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 06:35 AM   #2
22 BRZ

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ 6MT IR
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The turn signals have a habit of hyperblinking at times, and then stopping once I cancel them (or once I signal the other way because I have not managed to cancel them correctly).

When the car is very cold, the redline on the display changes to below 4000rpm, and always reverts back to normal when I am looking away from it, refusing me the pleasure of seeing the animation of the redline going up.

The filler piece used to cover the hole where the heated seat controls would be can be used as an extremely small trash can for straw wrappers.

If you accidentally hit the voice input button mid corner, and then vehemently swear at the ensuing request for a voice prompt, the system has the good sense to cancel the inquiry.

The dead pedals shifts side to side slightly, and makes a squeaking noise akin to an irritated mouse running away from a malfunctioning washing machine.
sato (01-21-2022)
Old 12-11-2021, 07:45 AM   #3
Kado

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
When you pull the seat forward to access the rear seats, pushing the seat back to lock has it latch in a seriously vertical position.

Elbow opening center console is interesting...

Still lost as to why I have a traction control button and a track button that both have the same function

So happy that the wheel mounted volume controls are on the correct side of the steering wheel, even though that means the multifunction display controls are on the opposite side of the screen you are adjusting
Kado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #4
CZ6T

Drives: 2022 crystal white BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22 BRZ View Post
The turn signals have a habit of hyperblinking at times, and then stopping once I cancel them (or once I signal the other way because I have not managed to cancel them correctly).
I'm so glad I'm not the only one this is happening to!
CZ6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 03:56 PM   #5
shoreline86

Drives: '22 BRZ 6MT MGM
What’s wrong with the fuel door? IMO the push to open the door is far more intuitive than an inside release.
shoreline86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shoreline86 For This Useful Post:
Simmons (12-12-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #6
22 BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreline86 View Post
What’s wrong with the fuel door? IMO the push to open the door is far more intuitive than an inside release.
When the doors are locked, the fuel door locks too. My example is I had been driving the car, and when I started the drive I locked the car doors using the power button on the inside of the drivers door. When I got to a gas station, I unlocked just the drivers door from the handle. When I tried to open the fuel door, it was locked. I unlocked the doors using the touch button on the outside drivers door handle, and the fuel door unlocked.

TLDR, the lock state of the fuel door is tied to the power door locks.
Old 12-11-2021, 05:02 PM   #7
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22 BRZ View Post
When the doors are locked, the fuel door locks too. My example is I had been driving the car, and when I started the drive I locked the car doors using the power button on the inside of the drivers door. When I got to a gas station, I unlocked just the drivers door from the handle. When I tried to open the fuel door, it was locked. I unlocked the doors using the touch button on the outside drivers door handle, and the fuel door unlocked.

TLDR, the lock state of the fuel door is tied to the power door locks.
The exact same as my 2013 Mustang GT and my 2013 BMW 135i.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:00 PM   #8
Interceptor777

Drives: 2022 BRZ, 1999 "touge-spec" Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado View Post
When you pull the seat forward to access the rear seats, pushing the seat back to lock has it latch in a seriously vertical position.

Elbow opening center console is interesting...

Still lost as to why I have a traction control button and a track button that both have the same function

So happy that the wheel mounted volume controls are on the correct side of the steering wheel, even though that means the multifunction display controls are on the opposite side of the screen you are adjusting
Track mode doesn't fully turn off traction control. Just allows more slip than normal and also gives better throttle response (at least from my foot dyno).

Traction control off button is the same as track mode except TC is off all the way. I assume they did it this way so you don't have to hold down two different buttons to fully turn off TC and be in track mode.

Also yes, my elbow keeps opening the center console too. Very annoying!
Interceptor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 02:21 PM   #9
22 BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor777 View Post
Track mode doesn't fully turn off traction control. Just allows more slip than normal and also gives better throttle response (at least from my foot dyno).

Traction control off button is the same as track mode except TC is off all the way. I assume they did it this way so you don't have to hold down two different buttons to fully turn off TC and be in track mode.
Yup, and there is a little graphic in the manual that explains it for anyone who is curious. This is how I've found it working:

- Left button pressed once turns off only TC, and only up to 50 km/h, and the VSC will still clamp down if you slide too far/fast.
- Right button pressed once puts everything in track mode (so the TC and VSC will still engage to a point, and I think I can still feel the brake LSD a bit).
- Left button held down turns everything off, including the brake LSD, but leaves the ABS on.

So sort of three different levels depending on how you want it.
Attached Images

PhatFreshPrince (12-12-2021), Spuds (12-13-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 04:13 PM   #10
DeeAich

Drives: '22 BRZ
When using CarPlay to send text messages, the "sending your message" at the end is garbled.

Also, not a fan of the door locks. I feel they should auto-lock on drive away and unlock on shut off.
DeeAich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 04:44 PM   #11
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeAich View Post
When using CarPlay to send text messages, the "sending your message" at the end is garbled.
That’s a problem with your phone, CarPlay streams all assets from the phone.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:09 PM   #12
azndavepgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeAich View Post
Also, not a fan of the door locks. I feel they should auto-lock on drive away and unlock on shut off.
That bothered me initially, but now I'm getting used to it.
azndavepgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:29 PM   #13
Simmons

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Only thing that bothers me is the seat belt chime that comes on as soon as you move.....why not at 5mph instead?
And the stupid shadow thing you get with the headlights. (premium)

Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:49 PM   #14
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmons View Post
Only thing that bothers me is the seat belt chime that comes on as soon as you move.....why not at 5mph instead?
And the stupid shadow thing you get with the headlights. (premium)
What shadow? Both trim headlights should be the same except for the turning portion.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote