follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-10-2019, 09:30 PM   #1
pillbox

Drives: ZC6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Greddy T518Z Strange Ticking Noise

Hey all, I just recently installed a brand new Greddy T518z turbo kit. I took my sweet time to make sure everything was mechanically sound.

There is a loud ticking noise that can be heard when the car is accelerating under load. The ticking speeds up as the engine speed increases. It becomes hard to hear as the engine speed is above 3.5k since the turbo and engine sound overwhelms it. I thought it was an exhaust leak, but both a shop and I couldn't find any leaks in the exhaust system.

I've read a ton of threads and most of them seem to have found the header gasket leaking. I've visually inspected the gaskets without taking the exhaust manifold off, and no soot building is found anywhere, on any exhaust flanges for that matter. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvapnUI-TUg[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD8zHj7WuwM[/ame]

Last edited by pillbox; 11-12-2019 at 11:53 PM.
pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:20 AM   #2
OzzyGT86

Drives: Ultramarine GT86
Does it happen while not in gear? For example being in neutral and just climbing the revs?
OzzyGT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
mwiech

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had the same exact ticking noise and it drove me crazy trying to figure it out. I only noticed it after going FI. Turns out it was the stock injectors and fuel pump. Once I got those upgraded the noise went away completely. If you already have upgraded injectors/fuel pump then I don’t know.
mwiech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:51 PM   #4
pillbox

Drives: ZC6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyGT86 View Post
Does it happen while not in gear? For example being in neutral and just climbing the revs?
I'm able to get it to happen when in neutral but only with a lot of throttle application. Typically, I can hear it during heel-toe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwiech View Post
I had the same exact ticking noise and it drove me crazy trying to figure it out. I only noticed it after going FI. Turns out it was the stock injectors and fuel pump. Once I got those upgraded the noise went away completely. If you already have upgraded injectors/fuel pump then I don’t know.
That's really weird, I wonder why going FI creates this sound, because I definitely didn't hear it when NA! I'm still on stock injectors and pump.