follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #43
Shit Luck

Drives: red frs
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
The English language isn't rocket science either yet... (see above).

Perhaps you can buy a used Revworks header and then complain about how it cracked at the welds or get a used JDL and complain about how it hits the skid plate, is not properly deburred, the collector looks nothing like the prototype and the flex joints rattle so badly that you're embarrassed to drive in public?
My bad on a spelling error, i am sure you have never made one.

A used header should still have been assembled correctly from the factory.
The fact is the borla product for this vehicle is a pile of shit. The updated versions are no better than the old versions. I got an Agency Power header for less than the borla, made the same power gains and as a bonus it looks decent and was assembled correctly.
Shit Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #44
Fast_Freddy

Drives: Passat
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shit Luck View Post
My bad on a spelling error, i am sure you have never made one.

A used header should still have been assembled correctly from the factory.
The fact is the borla product for this vehicle is a pile of shit. The updated versions are no better than the old versions. I got an Agency Power header for less than the borla, made the same power gains and as a bonus it looks decent and was assembled correctly.
I propose that we agree to disagree. I'm happy with my Borla UEL and wouldn't allow a POS Agency Power header on my car even if it were free.
Fast_Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fast_Freddy For This Useful Post:
FT-86 SpeedFactory (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #45
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
If I ordered a JDL header and waited for it I would be pissed if the collector looked any less fabulous than their photos. With the borla you know exactly what you are getting, and the collector looks functional. The JDL does have a merge spike that makes it look pretty.... but I am completely satisfied withi the performance of the borla and that is what counts.
Oh I need to see your car in person one day.

Kelbyat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #46
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
I believe it's all about the individuals budget.
I brought 3 Borla headers into South Africa, quality, flanges all seemed great quality for $585.
The gains and the rumble from this header is worth every $ for the price, including million mile warranty.
What has impressed me the most, is Borla after sales back up support. 2 of the headers gave a rattling noise after 4 months of use, I sent through a mail and video clip, within 2 days , response from Borla confirming 2 replacement headers on the way to South Africa.
We just don't see service like this over here and if this is the service delivered by Borla, IMO why spend over $200 to $400 more on a header, unless you have the extra $, your choice.
I've heard more good than bad about the Borla header on the forum. Interesting I see more complaints of waiting lengthy periods and not knowing when their headers will be delivered by other manufacturers. So each have there own problems.
I'm a extremely happy Borla customer and wonder if the other companies offer such back up service.
BIG UP TO BORLA
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan86 For This Useful Post:
JouMaSeHoes (09-19-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 04:32 AM   #47
Drift-Office

Drives: AE86 / FRS / FC3S / GC8 / S14 / R32
Thanked 1,431 Times in 372 Posts
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I was kinda holding back a little since I'm still waiting on my JDL to come in for my 3 way shootout, but I figured I'd post this up first as a teaser. Don't shoot the messenger!

Name:  Borla vs RWorks.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  139.1 KB

Both cars were 6MT, on 92 Octane Chevron. I'll save the rest till the JDL header gets done...

Cheers!

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
Drift-Office is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drift-Office For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-19-2013), DJCarbine (09-19-2013), mwjcyber (09-20-2013), Rev Works (09-19-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #48
FT86RGV

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
That dyno is very disappointing. I purchased the revworks for the better quality and larger piping. @Drift-Office do you have any explanation why the power was lower? Were these results consistent with other cars you dyno'd with these 2 types of headers? Was hoping for a lot more than that.
FT86RGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #49
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift-Office View Post
I was kinda holding back a little since I'm still waiting on my JDL to come in for my 3 way shootout, but I figured I'd post this up first as a teaser. Don't shoot the messenger!

Attachment 51749

Both cars were 6MT, on 92 Octane Chevron. I'll save the rest till the JDL header gets done...

Cheers!

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
got a stock header dyno on the same car by any chance?
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #50
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
I believe it's all about the individuals budget.
I brought 3 Borla headers into South Africa, quality, flanges all seemed great quality for $585.
The gains and the rumble from this header is worth every $ for the price, including million mile warranty.
What has impressed me the most, is Borla after sales back up support. 2 of the headers gave a rattling noise after 4 months of use, I sent through a mail and video clip, within 2 days , response from Borla confirming 2 replacement headers on the way to South Africa.
We just don't see service like this over here and if this is the service delivered by Borla, IMO why spend over $200 to $400 more on a header, unless you have the extra $, your choice.
I've heard more good than bad about the Borla header on the forum. Interesting I see more complaints of waiting lengthy periods and not knowing when their headers will be delivered by other manufacturers. So each have there own problems.
I'm a extremely happy Borla customer and wonder if the other companies offer such back up service.
BIG UP TO BORLA
Dood, 2 out of the 3 borla headers purchased had issues. .. Excellent customer service or not that's a huge problem. Not everyone can install their own headers themselves and are at the mercy of a mechanic. Not everyone has a second car to drive until this one is fixed!
Boofneenee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boofneenee For This Useful Post:
Shit Luck (09-19-2013), Trap63 (01-06-2014)
Old 09-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #51
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
They look identical power band wise. Looks like could be a tiny change in ambient temps or even just margin of error. Only 3HP and 4TQ. Too close to call IMHO especially with how long it takes to change a header between runs but very cool to see them side by side like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift-Office View Post

Attachment 51749

Cheers!

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FT-86 SpeedFactory For This Useful Post:
Rev Works (09-19-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #52
Jolaessss

Drives: SWP FR-S
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
These are all good reviews and I'm happy to see everyone putting their own honest opinion, and I thank you for that. But what it really comes down to, IMO, quality over quantity.
Jolaessss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #53
Obja

Drives: Raven FRS/c5 Corvette
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
After reading so many negative things about Borla idk what to do...

Buy new Borla for $450 off this guy or save for another brand
Obja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #54
Jolaessss

Drives: SWP FR-S
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obja View Post
After reading so many negative things about Borla idk what to do...

Buy new Borla for $450 off this guy or save for another brand
If I were you, I'd save up for a better one. I was originally going for the Borla but I thought of the hassle I'd have to go through if I ended up with a "shitty" product.
Jolaessss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #55
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Not sure why Borla has such a bad rep. They have sold 1000 of these headers, and had a couple growing pains and issues in the very beginning. Those are all worked out, and have a lifetime warranty. Really feel a lot of over reactions going on over a few issues. Borla took care of every single issue. We've got almost 20K miles on ours with a TON of abuse and ZERO issues and if we have one, we'll stand behind it and so will Borla.
FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FT-86 SpeedFactory For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (09-19-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #56
Rev Works

Drives: 2013 STi
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolaessss View Post
Hey guys, I'm thinking of my next mod and I'm leaning towards some headers, but I can't decide between the Rev Works UEL and the Borla UEL. I've seen YouTube videos on the two but I'm not sold lol. I am new at this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

What's the difference between the two in regards to performance, cost efficiency, sound, or even if you recommend getting headers, period! Haha thanks!

Hey buddy, I know that you have had quite a few opinions in this thread on all headers, I just wanted to pop in and let you know that if you have any unanswered questions about our product id gladly help you out with those. Thank you for considering our product in your future purchases even if you go a different route

-Matt @ Rev Works
Rev Works is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rev Works For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (09-19-2013), xjohnx (09-19-2013)

Tags
borla, borlacrapola, header, headers, rev works