follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #15
BRZtoni
Turbo E85

Drives: 13 wrb brz
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
Just ordered a single and was wondering if anyone had any pics of how the wiring passes through to get to the vent. Does the AC duct have to be removed? Thanks.

@Cheeseballs
Quote:
So I'll need another hole on the top side of the AC duct? I already have one on the underside since I have my wideband gauge installed on the AC vent. You should get the pod first, if you happen to get this installed first please let me know how it looks in there. Thanks for the reply, any little bit of info helps, I usually try to mentally install things as to have everything ready once I actually go for the install. Pics always help show how these little unseen places look in our cars lol.
ill definetly take some pictures when i get the pods. im going to pre-install and wire most of it before my turbo gets here. then wire it all up when the turbo goes in the car.
yomny (06-11-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #16
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I'm selling my old single dash pod if anyone is interested
Old 06-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #17
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
I'm selling my old single dash pod if anyone is interested
How mucho?
Old 06-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #18
dustmann

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Block8head defroster vent gauge pods (all 52mm varieties) with pictures.

Quote:
Just ordered a single and was wondering if anyone had any pics of how the wiring passes through to get to the vent. Does the AC duct have to be removed? Thanks.

@Cheeseballs

Hi yomny, I didn't drill anything when I installed my dual vent pod with egt and oil temp/pressure. The gauge pod has a hole in the back so the wires will run parallel with the duct and down beside it. I don't have any pics, but it's easier if you pop the defrost vent out and the round ac vent (it should just slide right out). That'll give you room to run wires behind your dash through the hole in your firewall or to the fuse box. I ran mine beside the ac duct and it's a tight fit but everything snapped back together and I don't notice any airflow disruption.

Ninja edit: the duct and the ac vent aren't connected, there is a tiny bit of room to snake wires between them if you wanted to do a vent pod, but trimming may be necessary for the round ac gauge mount. The defrost pod mounted just fine as is though in my case.
dustmann is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustmann For This Useful Post:
yomny (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 01:26 PM   #19
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustmann View Post
Hi yomny, I didn't drill anything when I installed my dual vent pod with egt and oil temp/pressure. The gauge pod has a hole in the back so the wires will run parallel with the duct and down beside it. I don't have any pics, but it's easier if you pop the defrost vent out and the round ac vent (it should just slide right out). That'll give you room to run wires behind your dash through the hole in your firewall or to the fuse box. I ran mine beside the ac duct and it's a tight fit but everything snapped back together and I don't notice any airflow disruption.

Ninja edit: the duct and the ac vent aren't connected, there is a tiny bit of room to snake wires between them if you wanted to do a vent pod, but trimming may be necessary for the round ac gauge mount. The defrost pod mounted just fine as is though in my case.

Really appreciate your response, that helps put things into perspective. I've never taken a look back there but is good to know there's space to move things around. I have my AC duct gauge installed and I know things are mostly hollow back there as well as being able to access it through the side panel but thought that the defrost vent was attached to the AC duct since air comes out of it. I'll pop the side panel and the defrost vent out today and check things out.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #20
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
How mucho?

40$ plus maybe 10$ to ship it? I have one of those ATI ac vent pods with reduced ring for another 30$ if you want

CAD funds of course
Old 06-18-2015, 09:38 PM   #21
yomny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustmann View Post

So the defrost vent just pops up? I'll be getting this in this weekend and want to make sure I don't brake anything I don't need to lol.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:37 PM   #22
dustmann

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Yep, mine was a little stubborn coming out, but it will pop out with some coaxing. I actually had more trouble getting the pod to snap into place afterwards, but I blame that on the mass of wiring that I jammed into the gauge pod lol
dustmann is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustmann For This Useful Post:
yomny (06-19-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #23
BRZtoni
Turbo E85

Drives: 13 wrb brz
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I just received my pod and wow I must say Im very impressed
uses a Subaru part and molds a pod onto it and blend/paint
very OEMISH and im very happy with the quality. will take pics when I have time
Old 06-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #24
yomny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZtoni View Post
I just received my pod and wow I must say Im very impressed
uses a Subaru part and molds a pod onto it and blend/paint
very OEMISH and im very happy with the quality. will take pics when I have time

Got mine today as well, same batch I guess Shipped very quick.. just how business should be.. pay, get part.. good stuff lol. Let me know how the install goes.. im thinking of going under or through the AC vent to remove the defrost vent, although im told it pops right out but looking at the pod.. seems to have pretty sturdy clips to engage onto the dash. Hope to get this in today.. cant wait.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:35 PM   #25
yomny

Couldn't wait and got this in asap.. gotta say the pod doesn't really leave much room if any at all for mechanical gauges with thick wiring or vacuum lines behind it. Fortunately had my AEM wideband relocated to the pod and the automata boost in the AC vent.

kch (06-22-2015)
Old 03-20-2016, 10:46 AM   #26
Teclis
Marine Electrician

Drives: Toyota TRD86, 2014
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Question

First off, sorry about necro the thread..

But anyone have any tips for getting this unit back in?
Removing the defroster part was easy, but I can't get the pod in

UPDATE: Got the pod into place, all you gotta do is use force and wiggle it..

Last edited by Teclis; 03-20-2016 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Fixed it!
Teclis is offline   Reply With Quote