follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 07-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
Alliedforces86
Flat 4 Handyman

Drives: Firestone Red FR-S & WRB MY2002 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Calling for a SF bay Area FR-S owner to help R&D parts

I've been in contact with the Sales Manager of Weapon-R performance. He is in need of an FR-S to develop performance parts such as header and intake box/cold air. He needs the car for 7-10 business days, I was planning on dropping my car off this coming Monday, but I live in Sacramento and was seeing if anyone in the SF area would like to be a part of this. They are offering to give free parts out for helping with development. PM me if you're interested, please message me only if you're serious and can live without your car for those days. Thanks

Kyle
Old 07-07-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
So who wants to give up their precious car to a tuning co. so they can take it apart and potentially damage it just so you can get a few free parts?

Personally I think all the legit tuning companies who are serious about developing parts for the FRS and BRZ would buy their own car and show some commitment. E.g., Perrin, RaceComp, countless others that did so.

I had personal dealings with Weapon R years ago and after that experience would not trust them with my car for even 5 min.

Caveat emptor.
PMok is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PMok For This Useful Post:
BlaineWasHere (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 03:20 AM   #3
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMok View Post
So who wants to give up their precious car to a tuning co. so they can take it apart and potentially damage it just so you can get a few free parts?

Personally I think all the legit tuning companies who are serious about developing parts for the FRS and BRZ would buy their own car and show some commitment. E.g., Perrin, RaceComp, countless others that did so.

I had personal dealings with Weapon R years ago and after that experience would not trust them with my car for even 5 min.

Caveat emptor.
That is not always the case. AEM for instance is using other cars so they can test on a broad range. Though I personally wouldn't loan my car to weapon R, just because they are asking for a loaner doesn't always mean they aren't a legit company.
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:37 AM   #4
PMok

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
That is not always the case. AEM for instance is using other cars so they can test on a broad range. Though I personally wouldn't loan my car to weapon R, just because they are asking for a loaner doesn't always mean they aren't a legit company.
Sure, some companies like AEM have a positive reputation and you may feel its ok to put your car in their hands. I'm just trying to make sure people don't blindly rush into something for the promise of free parts. I got burned once and would hate to see it happen to someone else.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Alliedforces86
Flat 4 Handyman

Drives: Firestone Red FR-S & WRB MY2002 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
PMok- I hear what you're saying. And don't get me wrong, I'm not vouching for the shop (though I hear they're good). I'm just seeing I anyone wants to check it out. I live in Sacramento and the shop is in SF, so needless to say its hard for me to get out there to see what they're about.

The first time I talked to Chris W, the sales manager, he was only interested in testing out a prototype short ram intake on my car, I couldn't make it down there when I thought I could so I left it alone, figured they found another frs in SF to use. He emailed me the other morning asking to use the car, this time for the 7-10 day period to use for developing headers and what not. I personally don't want someone taking apart my new car to test that kind of part. They would be doing dyno testing to see what benefits they see from their parts. But I still don't want it done to my car. Plus with me so far away like I've said before, makes it hard to even go check out the shop and talk face to face to see how I even feel about the shop.

I not trying to send someone to the wolfs here. Just seeing if anyone is interested in helping the shop out and see if it's something someone else wants done to there car. I like my engine the way it is and I'm trying to stay legal, some people don't care about staying legal until its time to smog.

Either way, no harm no foul, just throwing it out there to people that are closer to sf.

Thanks

Kyle
Old 07-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
PMok

For sure, I recognize you have nothing to do with these guys. Thats why I give a cautionary note to you and to all others who might think about doing something like this. Sometimes our enthusiasm and desire for more (and maybe free) performance parts in the marketplace leads us to rush into things without thinking about the possible risk and consequences. I did it once, that was enough for me... someone else can be the guinea pig if they want to.
The Following User Says Thank You to PMok For This Useful Post:
Alliedforces86 (07-07-2012)