follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

User Tag List

Old 01-22-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
squall leonhart
kuro kitsune

Drives: 2002 Toyota Celica GT-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Anyone here do Road Rally?

I've never done it, in fact, I've never done much of anything besides think "maybe one day" about anything other than a single rallycross about 15 years ago in my old ST165.

But I was watching a documentary on Amazon Prime about Road Rally. I only really remembered "TSD" rallies which just sounded kind of like a pain with the timing stuff. But the "GTA" ones that are more scavenger hunt and landmark related sound more fun and relaxed.

I spent most of my live in rural Ohio in the foothills of the Appalachians, with plenty of relatively fun roads. Not the best in the world (or even the state) by any means, but plenty of corners and hills.

Now in the Muncie area of Indiana, I find it takes more work to discover a good driving route (so many straight flat roads around). Last time I went looking I wound up on a tiny one lane gravel road with potholes half the size of the car (potcrater?).

I was thinking I might check out an Indy and/or Ft. Wayne SCCA Road Rally event next season, since they have route planners who come up with routes on good driving roads. At least, that's the theory. Seems it may be a good way to discover roads that are more fun in the FR-S.

Just thought I'd see if anyone in the region, especially Indiana, has done these before and what they thought.

squall leonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #2
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I haven't done a Road Rally, but I have done a TSD in Wisconsin. It was fun, a different kind of challenge and a cool way to see some country side. That being said, not exactly the best way to enjoy the highlight features of these cars.

Is it just Road Rally that appeals to you, or are your "maybe one day" dreams about other kinds of grassroots motorsports too? What's the barrier(s) to entry for you?
Old 01-31-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
squall leonhart
kuro kitsune

Drives: 2002 Toyota Celica GT-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Had a relatively in-depth reply typed out last week. When I went to post I had been logged out (not that it took me THAT long, but sometimes I get logged out very often...then again, I am longwinded).

Anyway, TSD road rally doesn't seem that fun to me, the GTA ones just seem more fun as there's little pressure, and I see it more as a way to discover fun roads and interesting sites in a way that my wife and I can enjoy together. Certainly I don't see it as something that I could push the limits of the FR-S...but at least might be more enjoyable to drive (going the speed limit) than a straight/flat road is (even if speeding). And again, being unfamiliar with the area, I just don't know where these roads are...and figured this would help me know where to go out for a drive in the future...not necessarily as an event.

Time is another issue. A GTA road rally I figure I can probably show up with little/no prep and do one time a season...whereas autocross I'd want to probably prep to some extent, maybe even go once just to spectate and get the lay of the land, and then want to do more than once to improve. I generally have few open Saturdays and zero open Sundays (we are very involved in our church).

If I had more free time, I'd probably be more open to autocross - and may still try it sometime (basically what I mean by "maybe one day"...not that it's a big dream...just a possibility). But since I don't get a lot of free Saturdays I tend to like to spend them with my wife to some extent - and I doubt she'd enjoy autocross as much as say a scavenger hunt type of road rally.

Track days are probably mostly out, other than maybe a one time thing to help get a feel for the car in a more controlled environment. But I don't think I could justify the cost of doing it very much at all.

Rallycross is the same issue as autocross, with the added issue of not wanting to beat up the car. I didn't really push my Celica All-Trac when I took it, as I was driving it home 3+ hours and didn't want to hurt it too bad in the rutty old farm fields where the event was held.

Not sure if that makes much sense, but that's the gist of it. That said, I guess I'm wondering about member experiences because my assumptions on this subject could be totally wrong.
squall leonhart is offline   Reply With Quote