follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #15
KnightRyderx2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: 2014 FR-S
Location: Kansas City, should be the 808
Posts: 286
Thanks: 30
Thanked 140 Times in 100 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well, 86Speed says that the Crawford Twin Megaphone Gymkhana Axle Back Exhaust is one of the loudest on the market and I see why, the tips main purpose is to amplify the sound. There is a few you tube videos on this exhaust, I know that youtube videos wont give you a true idea of the sound so take it as you feel fit.

If you want that one get that one. You can then make it louder by a catless header, UEL or EL doesn't matter. Then replace the stock front pipe with a straight pipe. That will be one loud and obnoxious exhaust.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #16
Chronology
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: 13' Satin White Pearl BRZ
Location: Claremont, CA
Posts: 193
Thanks: 44
Thanked 70 Times in 53 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo2469 View Post
I have a 2013 Scion FR-S, and I am looking for an exhaust system. I really want a loud exhaust that screams. I am looking to buy the Invidia N1 catback exhaust with titanium (blue) tips. However I need advice from you guys on this. I am also debating between the N1 and the Crawford Twin Megaphone Gymkhana Axle Back Exhaust FRS (which I have heard is also really loud).

Please help me with advice. The N1 is selling for around $560 and the Crawford one is much cheaper, I really dont want to spend more than $560.

I really want a loud exhaust and I dont mind if it has drone, I would prefer a more 'scream' sound as opposed to the more ricer sound. Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

I totally get a car is a person's art form, but honestly if your SUPER loud and in the Bay Area, get ready to have some fun with the cops. SoCal here and went up to Berkley area to see friends, running UEL catless with Q300 and was pulled over twice for noise, and we all know that is nowhere as loud as an N1. For CA you have to be at or UNDER 95 DB.

Check out the laws, the cops nor the court gives 2 fucks about giving out tickets.

CA. V.C. 27151 No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5(commencing with Section 27200) of this chapter. No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

This shows that there are other characteristics that the exhaust system must conform to truly show a violation. This also shows that other vehicle codes must be considered when in violation of this vehicle code.

CA. V.C. 27150 (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.


(b) Except as provided in Division 16.5 (commencing with Section 38000) with respect to off-highway motor vehicles subject to identification, every passenger vehicle operated off the highways shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and proper maintained so as to meet the requirements of Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200), and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device. (c) The provision of subdivision (b) shall not be applicable to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted under the auspices of a recognized sanctioning body or by permit issued by the local governmental authority having jurisdiction.



CCR 1036 Passenger Cars and Light Trucks and Buses.

(1) Sound Level Limit. The exhaust noise shall not exceed 95 dB(A).

Source - http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...5.&article=2.5.
__________________
RS*R Sport-I w/custom spring rate / Cusco Front/Rear Sways, Cusco Diff Brace / Cusco Power Brace (Rear/Front/Upper/Lower) / JDL UEL Headers / INVIDIA Q300 Ti / Valenti Revo Tails and rear backup/ EcuTek / Moto-East Flexfuel / Moto-East E85 tune
Chronology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #17
Cole
Not a troll
 
Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Drives: FR-S
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,104
Thanks: 8,237
Thanked 5,397 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I always forget this platform attracts children
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (04-20-2017), D_Thissen (04-20-2017), e_lunatic (04-20-2017), Feelings (04-21-2017), JD001 (04-21-2017), KnightRyderx2 (04-20-2017), Shark_Bait88 (04-20-2017), sugoi (04-20-2017), Takumi788 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #18
D_Thissen
Senior Member
 
D_Thissen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: '13 Argento FR-S
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,124
Thanks: 3,192
Thanked 1,438 Times in 854 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I always forget this platform attracts children
#thenewcivic
__________________
D_Thissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:20 PM   #19
Rambo2469
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Location: Bay Area & PNW
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I always forget this platform attracts children
thats a pretty stupid thing to say. you dont know how old I am.

I like my cars to be loud. its obviously not for everyone, doesn't have to be for you.

I am looking for advice from owners and I want to hear feedback from what their experiences are with specific catback or axleback exhaust systems.

please dont comment if you only have dumb things like that to say. thanks
Rambo2469 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rambo2469 For This Useful Post:
leets4uc3 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #20
Rambo2469
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Location: Bay Area & PNW
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronology View Post
I totally get a car is a person's art form, but honestly if your SUPER loud and in the Bay Area, get ready to have some fun with the cops. SoCal here and went up to Berkley area to see friends, running UEL catless with Q300 and was pulled over twice for noise, and we all know that is nowhere as loud as an N1. For CA you have to be at or UNDER 95 DB.

Check out the laws, the cops nor the court gives 2 fucks about giving out tickets.

CA. V.C. 27151 No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5(commencing with Section 27200) of this chapter. No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

This shows that there are other characteristics that the exhaust system must conform to truly show a violation. This also shows that other vehicle codes must be considered when in violation of this vehicle code.

CA. V.C. 27150 (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.


(b) Except as provided in Division 16.5 (commencing with Section 38000) with respect to off-highway motor vehicles subject to identification, every passenger vehicle operated off the highways shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and proper maintained so as to meet the requirements of Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200), and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device. (c) The provision of subdivision (b) shall not be applicable to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted under the auspices of a recognized sanctioning body or by permit issued by the local governmental authority having jurisdiction.



CCR 1036 Passenger Cars and Light Trucks and Buses.

(1) Sound Level Limit. The exhaust noise shall not exceed 95 dB(A).

Source - http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...5.&article=2.5.

hey thanks for your advice, however I am not worried about that at all. I have lived in the bay area for a long time. My last car was extremely loud, with also a great note which got a lot of compliments, and I never had trouble with police.

And eventually I am planning on getting headers, maybe UEL headers and with a tune. But for now I want to see more advice on specific exhaust systems out on the market. thanks for ur feedback
Rambo2469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:42 PM   #21
e_lunatic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 109
Thanks: 224
Thanked 50 Times in 30 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo2469 View Post
please dont comment if you only have dumb things like that to say. thanks
if we can't say dumb things then what is the point of being on the internet in general and message boards specifically?

in all honesty do you live in an urban/suburban area or are you in a rural area?
if you live in close proximity to other people who are going to have to listen to your super loud as possible exhaust I really beg of you to reconsider exactly how loud you want it to be. i have an asshole neighbor who lives down the street with a harley with insanely loud pipes on it and it doesn't matter what time or day it is he revs the piss out of it and I have seriously considered fabricating a device to be able to pull and attach piano wire as he passes by my house so i never have to hear it again.
e_lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:29 PM   #22
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 27,741
Thanks: 25,096
Thanked 27,920 Times in 14,877 Posts
Mentioned: 657 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lunatic View Post
if we can't say dumb things then what is the point of being on the internet in general and message boards specifically?

in all honesty do you live in an urban/suburban area or are you in a rural area?
if you live in close proximity to other people who are going to have to listen to your super loud as possible exhaust I really beg of you to reconsider exactly how loud you want it to be. i have an asshole neighbor who lives down the street with a harley with insanely loud pipes on it and it doesn't matter what time or day it is he revs the piss out of it and I have seriously considered fabricating a device to be able to pull and attach piano wire as he passes by my house so i never have to hear it again.
Maybe I can help lighten up a bit on @Rambo2469 by telling a story.......

It was back-in-the-day (in the 60s) down in the Bay Area of California, between Los Gatos and the coast.

I was a member of a "gang" of dirt bike riders that would assemble on some Saturday mornings and ride to the coast over a cross country trail we called Pinky's trail. It was called Pinky's trail because it terminated at a greasy spoon coffee shop on the coast called Pinky's, where we would have breakfast.

Now a well known rule was that one rode the trail from East to West in the morning and West to East in the afternoon. That way, you didn't have to worry about bikers coming around a hill from other other direction.

However, there was usually some dumb shit that didn't get the word, or didn't give a rip and run the "wrong" way ..... until he would have several near miss head on collisions ...... then he would turn around ......

Now, that was all a bunch of fun for a few years until some of the ranchers got tired of our noise and decided to strategically (usually around blind corners) stretch a length of rusty, barbed wire across the trail.

The strategy worked because the trail was not wide enough to allow a jeep with a wire cutter to clear the way .......

So, we abandoned Pinky's trail and moved South, to BLM land south of Hollister .......

THE END


humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
JD001 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:59 PM   #23
RJasonKlein
Senior Member
 
RJasonKlein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Location: Clarendon Hills, IL
Posts: 617
Thanks: 441
Thanked 352 Times in 200 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@humfrz, great story and a wise choice indeed to head south - after all, a man's got to know his limitations...

Last edited by RJasonKlein; 04-21-2017 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Corrected a typographical error.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RJasonKlein For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-20-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 12:39 AM   #24
FRS2017
Enthusiast 86
 
FRS2017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: Toyota 86 GT
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 155
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
one of the users above is correct, as soon as you take the OEM Muffler off it will be loud. I recently installed a PLM muffler delete and it was hell loud. I had to put a hotdog muffler on to shut it up a bit.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KKiqYnNu70"]Private Label Duel Muffler Delete - Toyota 86 GT - YouTube[/ame]
FRS2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:36 AM   #25
thecarfilmer
IG: @nickwiththefrs
 
thecarfilmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Halo
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 668
Thanks: 432
Thanked 305 Times in 205 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
lol i got state ref in Norcal (Union City to be specific) and i had a full catless setup (gruppe s uel, invidia catless non-res front pipe and greddy revolution rs catback) at the time. im guessing the setup was about 115-120ish dB, the catback itself is already 107db. went back to catback only and im happy with it. consider that my dude. state ref is NOT FUN. it was a 5 month process for me...
__________________
thecarfilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thecarfilmer For This Useful Post:
e_lunatic (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 AM   #26
Rambo2469
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Location: Bay Area & PNW
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lunatic View Post
if we can't say dumb things then what is the point of being on the internet in general and message boards specifically?

in all honesty do you live in an urban/suburban area or are you in a rural area?
if you live in close proximity to other people who are going to have to listen to your super loud as possible exhaust I really beg of you to reconsider exactly how loud you want it to be. i have an asshole neighbor who lives down the street with a harley with insanely loud pipes on it and it doesn't matter what time or day it is he revs the piss out of it and I have seriously considered fabricating a device to be able to pull and attach piano wire as he passes by my house so i never have to hear it again.

No trust me I do not want my car "as loud as possible". I do live in an urban area and this won't be my first loud car. I am always extremely respectful about my manner and the way I drive in my own neighborhood and I would never rev loud or even drive fast in my neighborhood. I actually get really mad when people drive fast through my own street.

And I am aware that if I wanted the "loudest exhaust possible" I would just have to straight pipe it.

But what I am looking for is to buy a catback system and I want to get one of the better sounding ones. I want to know from 86/FRS/BRZ owners what their reviews are of the catback systems out on the market.

However I would also like to buy one of the louder systems out on the market.
Rambo2469 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rambo2469 For This Useful Post:
e_lunatic (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 02:02 AM   #27
Kaotic Lazagna
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: Whiteout FR-S Monogram
Location: Lathrop, CA
Posts: 3,522
Thanks: 1,954
Thanked 1,792 Times in 1,106 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The louder catbacks I've heard in person do not sound good to me. They all sound too raspy. Shoot, a muffler delete treads a fine line of being too raspy at times for me. And again, that's coming from someone who runs a muffler delete.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:15 AM   #28
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber
 
Xxyion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Location: California
Posts: 890
Thanks: 39
Thanked 415 Times in 276 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo2469 View Post
No trust me I do not want my car "as loud as possible". I do live in an urban area and this won't be my first loud car. I am always extremely respectful about my manner and the way I drive in my own neighborhood and I would never rev loud or even drive fast in my neighborhood. I actually get really mad when people drive fast through my own street.

And I am aware that if I wanted the "loudest exhaust possible" I would just have to straight pipe it.

But what I am looking for is to buy a catback system and I want to get one of the better sounding ones. I want to know from 86/FRS/BRZ owners what their reviews are of the catback systems out on the market.

However I would also like to buy one of the louder systems out on the market.

Louder doesn't always mean sound better.

That being said there are plenty of ways to make a mid-range volume CBE Sound louder with proper supporting parts.

3" Will always be louder but be prepared to potentially lose some tightness in the tone. Most tend to be really airy sounding.

Catless or High flow cat Front pipes are a good way to increase volume. Headers will do it as well.

I have a 3" Nameless with 5" mufflers to a resonated mid pipe from WORKS and the JDL Ultra Quiet front pipe and i'm one of the louder exhaust setups in my local group. I used to run WORKS CBE muffler delete with catless UEL. But that was too loud for me.


And as mentioned. Just be careful of cops. While you might have had a loud setup on whatever previous car you had. This car is kind of a cop magnet. I know guys who are full straight piped but they don't get pulled over because they are driving a BMW. And guys who are only slightly louder but get harassed by the cops all the time because they drive a super modded 86.
__________________
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
e_lunatic (04-21-2017)
 
Reply

Tags
catback, crawford, exhaust, invidia, loud

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Loud exhaust / Buddy Club Spec II exhaust help! chiefshayan Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 26 12-06-2019 05:59 PM
FI Exhaust - Valve Exhaust System GT86,BRZ,FRS Chefsache Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons 6 10-06-2016 01:56 AM
Exhaust System/Exhaust Manifold Removal and Replacement GrimmSpeed DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides 52 11-11-2015 09:30 PM
Exhaust System Advice NIKOLA Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 5 02-11-2014 06:59 PM
So you have a loud exhaust system? bdanisi Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 98 09-22-2013 04:51 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.