follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2021, 02:17 PM   #1
SrSGr

Drives: Toyota yaris and mazda 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oil Leak in front of the engine

Hello guys ,

I am brand new here ,my name is Chris and i live in Germany . i just signed up cause i love brzs. So much that i drove around 500 kms to go and see one and then buy it .

Everything was fine the car has 80.000km , but something made me suspicious and anxious. I really don't know what the problem is , why is this oil leak in this part of the car , the seller said its not his car and the one that had it let it here till it gets sold . He now lives in China and if i buy it i will make a contract with him via email.

So if i had any further questions that means i had to ask him . So i asked the guy that owns the dealership(subaru and suzuki dealership) what is this problem and he said its a used car nothing to worry about . Ofc i was worried and i kept insisting that this car is not safe to buy . He said its not a big deal it doesnt cost must and i was like how can i be sure of that ? Anyway i am gonna post the 2 videos from it's oil leak and a picture of the oil on the floor just so u can see that its really a big ass oil leak coming also from the downside of the engine and i hope you guys can help me and tell me what the problem is and if i have to worry about it. If it is expensive to repair and what the actual cause is it ?

Car was running ok , nothing suspicious like strange noise coming out of the engine , no rust . it is tuned without a turbo just a chip tuning with lot of good peripherals and complete exhaust system .

Videos >>
https://streamable.com/5ra6p9
https://streamable.com/keo4dx
Attached Images

SrSGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 04:14 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hello SrSGr and welcome to our forum -

I'm confused, have you bought the car or just looking at it?

If you bought it, I would suggest that you clean up the area that is leaking (with engine cleaner) then observe if it is still leaking and where and how much.

Most of the time those oil leaks are from the front engine cover. The fix is to remove and reseal the engine cover, which is time consuming or expensive.

If you haven't bought the car, it's your call -
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 04:24 PM   #3
SrSGr

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello SrSGr and welcome to our forum -

I'm confused, have you bought the car or just looking at it?

If you bought it, I would suggest that you clean up the area that is leaking (with engine cleaner) then observe if it is still leaking and where and how much.

Most of the time those oil leaks are from the front engine cover. The fix is to remove and reseal the engine cover, which is time consuming or expensive.

If you haven't bought the car, it's your call -
I didn't buy the car , i went to look at it . a good friend of mine said it is from cranksaft sealing . it must be replaced . could it just be this ? or its most likely the engine cover sealing ?
Old 05-30-2021, 12:36 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrSGr View Post
I didn't buy the car , i went to look at it . a good friend of mine said it is from cranksaft sealing . it must be replaced . could it just be this ? or its most likely the engine cover sealing ?

It is most likely the timing cover that is leaking. Very common issue on these cars and is a labor intensive fix as the engine needs to come out. Other common areas to see oil leaking is the valve cover and the oil control valves.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:18 PM   #5
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
If it’s the timing cover that is a major nightmare. Not only does the engine have to come out but resealing it is the cause of the catastrophic engine failures related to the recall on the 13’s. If it’s done improperly and silicon gets in the internals oil channels get clogged and the motor goes south.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 03:25 PM   #6
SrSGr

Guys thank you very much for ur feedback and for welcoming me . I appreciate it . I decided its best to get a totally untouched (untuned) brz/gt86 and put my stuff on it . because this car seems to be a nightmare dressed as a dream .Its really beautiful has lot of awesome stuff on it but....The seller told me that i still can go to subaru without any costs to get this valve type of thing repaired . Do they also check for any other failures when u guys got ur cars to them when they called it? if when did they also fixed them without u having to pay ? He said that i might have to pay for it he doesnt know but for sure the owner didnt go with his car to make this important call and i guess therefore thats the problem . do u think that it isworth it getting it as soon as i get the free repair on the valve springs problem (like he is saying) ? or this is just a small piece of the problem that the engine is facing right now ?
The Following User Says Thank You to SrSGr For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (06-01-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #7
TommyW

Quote:
Guys thank you very much for ur feedback and for welcoming me . I appreciate it . I decided its best to get a totally untouched (untuned) brz/gt86 and put my stuff on it . because this car seems to be a nightmare dressed as a dream .Its really beautiful has lot of awesome stuff on it but....The seller told me that i still can go to subaru without any costs to get this valve type of thing repaired . Do they also check for any other failures when u guys got ur cars to them when they called it? if when did they also fixed them without u having to pay ? He said that i might have to pay for it he doesnt know but for sure the owner didnt go with his car to make this important call and i guess therefore thats the problem . do u think that it isworth it getting it as soon as i get the free repair on the valve springs problem (like he is saying) ? or this is just a small piece of the problem that the engine is facing right now ?
Run far away from this car
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (05-30-2021), spike021 (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 09:02 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
You didn't say what year it is but if subject to the recall it it is well out of warranty so you would have to pay for any repairs. They are not going to fix anything for free at this point

If you find one and are not forced by law to have the valve sprig recall done then don't do it! There is very little risk from the spring failing but a larger risk of issues after the recall work is done.

I would stay away from this one unless it is absolutely the only one you can get
Old 05-31-2021, 05:39 PM   #9
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yep, I agree, I'd suggest you pass on that car - unless they are practically giving it away. Bubba says, that you may consider it and just slide an old cookie sheet under the front of the engine while it is parked and plan on adding a quart of oil per week.

Your call -
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:38 PM   #10
SrSGr

Thank you all for your replies . I was considering buying it since i believed that the repair costs wouldnt be that high . But i already found something better without any tuning parts on it and on lower mileage too . I guess this one is far better than the one i went to see . Besides that , its better to know what your car has .
Old 05-31-2021, 07:50 PM   #11
TommyW

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies . I was considering buying it since i believed that the repair costs wouldnt be that high . But i already found something better without any tuning parts on it and on lower mileage too . I guess this one is far better than the one i went to see . Besides that , its better to know what your car has .
Good. Buying a car that already needs major repairs is never a good decision.