follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-10-2018, 01:07 AM   #1
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
EBC Bluestuff & Yellowstuff pads

I'm curious if anyone here has track experience with these and what their thoughts are on them?

Looking for a pad to run in my Wilwood 6-piston/STi rotor'd upgrade for track days and drives to/from the track.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
D-rek07

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I ran EBC yellowstuff this track season. Stock brakes tho. October-May. About 5 track days. I also daily it. They lasted the entire time. I never had brake fade on the track. I am using RBF600 brake fluid. Much better stopping power than stock. I didn't realize how much better until I put the stock pads back on. They squeaked a little but I think its because I didn't bed them properly.

No experience with Bluestuff.
D-rek07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
Lincoln Logs

Drives: #337 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Not a fan of EBC. I prefer Porterfield or PFC Pads. Give the Poterfield R4-1 a try, it has really fast warm up and a lot of bite on track.
Lincoln Logs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I ran Yellowstuff on RR Racing sport performance BBK and OEM rears on track for a season with RBF600. Good street manners, silent, good pedal feel and release characteristics and good pad life on the street and enough bite for a panic stop. On track, they are fade free but I found overall bite lacking and pad life gets eaten quickly on track too. I've switched to using these strictly as a street driving pad and I stepped up to Winmax W5 as a dedicated track pad.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
vadim.totskyy

Drives: GT86
Blue - no, but from reading about them think Yellow would be more suitable for hybrid DD/ occasional track day.

I have Yellowstuff front (with KSports bbk) and rear (with stock discs and calipers).

They are fairly quiet (after bedding) and any occasional squeal will go away after few harder brake applications. I have done 3.5k miles and 5 track days with current set (2 days were complete washout, so not that much of hard braking tbh).

Ok for occasional track day, certainly better than stock, but by no means they can be considered as track oriented pads.

Its a trade off though, best would be to swap pads for track and DD, but overall I think Yellowstuff are pretty good option. Relatively cheap as well.

I haven't decided on next ones, may go for Yellowstuff again, or if I spend more time on track will consider Ferodo or ProjectMu. Both are more expensive but come higly recommended.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
vadim.totskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Garage
Ive been running yellowstuff (stock calipers) on DBA rotors for a couple of years now...

They are a GREAT pad for good street manners and capable on track.

For Street: Can't ask for anything better. Good feel, great bite and won't EVER overheat

For Track: Not perfect, but plenty good. It took me a couple years before I started needing anything better - i.e. they were great to learn with, but I have finally gotten fast enough that they aren't doing their job compared to other options

BUT, just about everything better for track isn't NEARLY as good for the street, so I am still a big fan. Lifespan is pretty darn good too, especially if you don't autoX or Track OFTEN.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
kingkenny

Drives: 2014 Toyota GT86
I had yellow , blue and orange in my 86 with stock caliper . I guess with upsize BBK , yellow may be good enough .

All of them are quiet , from new to core . Before you fade yellowstuff and you feel the gradually reduce in bite , that the cool down sign. Blue bite too strong for my liking ,not good for narrow or low grip tire setup .

I end up running orange front / blue rear with stock caliper .
kingkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kingkenny For This Useful Post:
Turbo (08-16-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 12:19 AM   #8
MINI135i

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Wow, there is some really good info true to form in this thread regarding the EBC Yellowstuff. I am impressed because they often don't get the praise they deserve due to incorrect expectations from the start.

In my opinion, EBC Yellowstuff are the best crossover (street/track) pads I have found, hands down!

I run them on my M2 and FR-S currently with stock calipers. I have run them on many different cars at the track over the years (E92 M3, Cayman S, etc.) so I have quite a bit of experience with them. However, you have to go in with the correct expectations:

-If you follow the recommended break in procedure, they will make very little noise on the street and work well at the track. This is such a plus, because I hate swapping pads every track day just so I don't sound like an oncoming BUS on the streets, ha,ha! I track a lot, monthly and year round, so it is nice to just "arrive and drive".

-They handle the track well coupled with a good race fluid like Castrol SRF. But as mentioned by another post, they will start to give up a bit when really pushed to the max as they are not a full race pad. Yes, that means you have to manage your brakes at certain times deep into a session, but not big deal if you just pay attention to what they are telling you. I do very fast lap times in 20 min sessions all the time without any major issues.

-If you are person that pounds the brakes into oblivion, and refuse to give up a few tenths in the corners to keep things managed (nothing wrong with that if that is your style), the EBC Yellowstuff will not be your brake pad, go for the full race pad instead. And...remember earplugs for your street driving if your not swapping them out at the track
MINI135i is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MINI135i For This Useful Post:
Turbo (08-18-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #9
rkaywhodat

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 Halo
Garage
I used EBC yellow with stock everything else for daily and very light track use and have been perfectly satisfied. Daily driving there is some noise.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
rkaywhodat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rkaywhodat For This Useful Post:
Turbo (08-25-2018)