follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-02-2015, 01:40 AM   #1
DuMa

Drives: LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
protecting the extended top nut/stud on rear coilovers

not sure if this product exists or not but i need a way to protect the top nut/stud on my rear coilovers. It extends a few inches taller than stock and it definitely hits the carpet walls if i had it installed. However right now my subaru trunk liner hits it on both sides. I could go with a rear strut bar or just simply cut my trunk liner to fit but i'd rather not go with those options right now. (I love my trunk liner to death)

I think i saw someone here had some kind of metal brace that could be bolted on top of the strut assembly and protect the top nut/stud. I cant find it at the moment.

Any ideas?
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:53 AM   #2
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,388 Times in 4,139 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm not sure which nut/stud you are referring to so I don't know if this is of help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I thought I would have a play around with my dampers today. Much to my dismay I found that one of the rear adjusters had been bent off axis. No doubt it was the trolley jack on my way to the local track. Luckily for me the adjuster is still working. I purchased some 32mm diameter 1.6mm thick aluminium tubing to make a bit of protection. It is 40mm high. The tubing sits in there quite nicely.
Name:  a.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  87.6 KB
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:19 AM   #3
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
hmm...i never even thought about this before. now ill have to check tmw lol
Old 05-02-2015, 02:38 AM   #4
DuMa

Drives: LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I'm not sure which nut/stud you are referring to so I don't know if this is of help.

Attachment 108649

thats the exact picture i was referring to. however arent you worried the metal tubing moves around while the car is in motion and keeps hitting the top of the adjuster or stud?

maybe a softer material of the same dimension tubing could work? say maybe like PVC pipe?
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:02 AM   #5
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,388 Times in 4,139 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa View Post
thats the exact picture i was referring to. however arent you worried the metal tubing moves around while the car is in motion and keeps hitting the top of the adjuster or stud?

maybe a softer material of the same dimension tubing could work? say maybe like PVC pipe?
I'm not worried because I now use webbing tied to the rear tow hook to keep the trolly jack out of harm's way.

Having just inspected (2 minutes ago) the tube over the adjuster I am thinking it is not as much a prevention as I thought. There is movement of the tube that can still impact against the top of the adjuster. (I have different dampers from the one pictured.) Maybe a tube that was a tighter fit through the sheet metal of the body would be a better solution.

I don't know if PVC tubing would be up to the task.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
wparsons (05-02-2015)
Old 05-02-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
The ideal solution would be something that slips over the studs on the upper mount and gets held in place by the nuts that hold the shock to the car, then extends upwards just enough to block anything from hitting the adjuster.

A simple curved piece of steel with a 90* bend at each end would do the trick.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:21 AM   #7
Fender0122

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've got Koni adjustables and I cut a hole in the carpet and used the dust caps from the front struts because they didn't fit any more. Fixed the issue of covering them up in the back, but they're still exposed in the front