follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2015, 04:11 AM   #1
sk900

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Spyder Headlight install wiring guide.

Hi all, I recently had to install new headlights. Before everyone attacks me, yes I agree the stock BRZ headlights are great but the lens got broken on my driverside headlight (thank you LA freeways) and the dealership wanted 500+ just for the headlight housing so I went with aftermarket. Specifically the Spyder Auto Subaru BRZ Black CCFL Halogen Projector Headlight with LED Daytime Running Light, part number PRO-YD-SUBRZ12-CCFL-BK.

I'm not going to go through the whole install (you have to take off the front bumper to get the headlights out, if you need to do that use this excellent guide here http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8788 provided by DarrenDriven).

What I couldn't find anywhere was how to wire up the headlights since they are wired for the FRS. As we all know the BRZ day time running lights are not in the headlight housing so the default wiring from Spyder isn't going to work. I chose not run a wire and splice into my current DTR's (seemed like overkill) and instead just rewired to make the angel eye ccfl and LED's come on when the headlights come on.

Basically you can reattach the green wire (this is the power for the LED strip) to the unused red power wire (it's an extra power wire that Spyder has running to the eight pin). Before you do that however you need to solder the ccfl wire (that's the thinner red wire) to the green LED power wire and the black ground from the ccfl to the ground from the LED's. (If you want to do it differently by all means but that was the easiest solution I found). The two soldering pictures kind of show you that, just ignore the hands in the way. I've also provided a few shots of the finished product.

Anyhoo I hope this helps anyone who is having trouble with this and/or doesn't want to bust out their voltmeter to figure out which wire does what, where, how etc.

Cheers,

SK

PS. I apologize for the picture quality, I just used my cells camera ><
Attached Images

sk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
ModinJapan

Drives: 2013 SCION FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Good information! The headlights look good!

-Josh
ModinJapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:37 PM   #3
adrixe

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Were you able to use the stock hid system for the brz? Im waiting for mine to come in the mail

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
adrixe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Can anyone with experience with these weigh in on whether or not these are HID or non HID? By HID i mean meant for HID, not halogen protectors that will accept HID bulbs. If they are HID, bi-xenon?

One of my headlights was replaced when i hit a deer last year and now they don't match, looking for replacements but don't want to lose HID protectors.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
JohnJuan

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Hot Lava; 2012 Z1000 CBO
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
Can anyone with experience with these weigh in on whether or not these are HID or non HID? By HID i mean meant for HID, not halogen protectors that will accept HID bulbs. If they are HID, bi-xenon?

One of my headlights was replaced when i hit a deer last year and now they don't match, looking for replacements but don't want to lose HID protectors.
Not HID.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
carsebuco
How do I shift?

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Soldering, lol. I put electrical tape on mine, it's been holding rather fine (when it's held up)
Old 10-05-2018, 08:03 PM   #7
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post

Morimoto turns them from HID to LED seems like a good upgrade, check out their headlight
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:54 PM   #8
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I assume FRS headlights don't fit? Looking to spend $500 or so for a set and keep my HID. Plan B, buy one of those headlight restore kits, but I've heard they don't work long term and the headlight will end up looking worse over time.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlights, spyder headlights, wiring