follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
slow_frs

Drives: turbo scion tc
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HKS testing NITROUS? how did you miss this

so after watching this video my second time to analize what hks did with the intake prior to s/c i found an interesting find, screen shot attached

btw my plans for this car till i got boost was exactly what they did, delete the accordian tubing and the cabin resonator and run some spray through the bad boy maybe a 75 shot MAYBE might have to settle for 50
Attached Images

slow_frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Some S/C kits run an extra injector pre-manifold, this could be what you are seeing. NO2 is unlikely.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #3
slow_frs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
Some S/C kits run an extra injector pre-manifold, this could be what you are seeing. NO2 is unlikely.

this setup is n/a not s/c look better.. plus i know what nitrous selonoids look like

the d4-s systems willsupply more than enough fueling so if boosted an aux injector wont be needed
Old 05-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #4
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
those look to be hooked up to the injector high pressure pump (right of the picture), probably to spray a intake fuel charge in parallel during DI spray.

Not sure i believe its a NO2 setup.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:39 AM   #5
uspspro

Drives: DGM BRZ, MR-S 3.5L V6 swap (sold)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Honestly a proper setup Nitrous system (meaning, computer metered, rather than an on/off button) would work well on the high compression NA.
uspspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #6
slow_frs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
those look to be hooked up to the injector high pressure pump (right of the picture), probably to spray a intake fuel charge in parallel during DI spray.

Not sure i believe its a NO2 setup.

look closely ( the blue selonoid on the left) has a ss line going to the rightside of the firewall and into the cabin, likely to a NO2 tank and the red selonoid has a ss line teed into the fuel line

also blue selonoids are typically the no2 and red being fuel... ask how i know =D
Old 05-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #7
slow_frs

also both selonoids have a line going into the intake where there meet at 1 fitting...

also heres a basic nos layout with out the electronics
Old 05-29-2012, 01:57 AM   #8
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_frs View Post
also both selonoids have a line going into the intake where there meet at 1 fitting...

also heres a basic nos layout with out the electronics
I just got off the phone with HKS, your right. They are currently testing Nitruous cooling intake charges with their F-con Vpro Gold with several GT86 and BRZs in house.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:01 AM   #9
slow_frs

they prob are using the f-con to trigger it at set points, i wonder what size shot they are running i dont plan on anything fancy to control fueling , that what fuel jets are for... my question is how does fuel coming in from the intake side effect the D4-S since it sprays fuel directly
Old 05-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #10
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Quote:
they prob are using the f-con to trigger it at set points, i wonder what size shot they are running i dont plan on anything fancy to control fueling , that what fuel jets are for... my question is how does fuel coming in from the intake side effect the D4-S since it sprays fuel directly
At a certain high RPM Direct Injection takes over fully. Shutting down port injection.

My guess is that T-ing into the high pressure DI fuel pump and shooting it into the intake charge for those high RPM loads will releave the ultra lean burn conditions that could be dangerous for the FI setup.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #11
slow_frs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
At a certain high RPM Direct Injection takes over fully. Shutting down port injection.

My guess is that T-ing into the high pressure DI fuel pump and shooting it into the intake charge for those high RPM loads will releave the ultra lean burn conditions that could be dangerous for the FI setup.

i know that the DI takes over at a certain point my question was more how would the cumbustion be effected with fuel also being poured from the intake, and yes i know itll richen it obviously that is the goal(which btw aparently from perrin they found this engine to runs rich on their dyno)
Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 AM   #12
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Quote:
i know that the DI takes over at a certain point my question was more how would the cumbustion be effected with fuel also being poured from the intake, and yes i know itll richen it obviously that is the goal(which btw aparently from perrin they found this engine to runs rich on their dyno)
yeah i saw 10AFRs on another dyno as well.

btw you said cum..bustion

My guess is as good as yours as far as how much more efficient the intake fuel charge is at higher loads with auxulary N20 and Petrol injection. vs FI high load running on DI alone.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:49 AM   #13
slow_frs

hmm btw hks may very so be using it to cool charge temps with the s/c but when they were running n/a that spray was for raw power as these engines have a very nice efficient air intake.... god i need to hurry up and strap the damn thing to the dyno with a bottle
Old 05-29-2012, 02:55 AM   #14
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Quote:
hmm btw hks may very so be using it to cool charge temps with the s/c but when they were running n/a that spray was for raw power as these engines have a very nice efficient air intake.... god i need to hurry up and strap the damn thing to the dyno with a bottle
DO IT!!!! love to see your progress running on some juice.

I know that previous subaru boxer engines especially turbo variants were suffering from bad high IAT particularly with heatsoak. So some used a phenolic thermal intake gaskets on the manifolds to bring down manifold temps down.

Not sure this is true this time with the FA20, with the plastic intake. but who knows. Post your finds and have fun!