follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2021, 02:16 PM   #57
beltax90

Drives: 2010 corolla
Thanked 1,798 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i just think its cool when he points out "quirks and features" and easter eggs and automotive innovations of cars i'll never sit in, especially minivans.

had no idea a lot of minivans now come with built in vacuum cleaners and loud speakers to speak to kids in back.

also would have never known about hyundais cool gauge cluster where the tach and speedo screens turn into the views from the cameras mounted on the side mirrors.

stuff like that keeps me interested in his videos. he's pretty good at pointing out what's trending in the industry

it took a while for me to appreciate his vids and yes he's kinda cheesy sometimes but you kind of have to be if you're really into little "quirks and features" of like every car as an enthusiast. plus on his second channel he's pretty good at explaining his reasoning for buying his own personal cars and it's pretty sound.

of course people shouldnt just rely on watching a video to make a purchase, but it can definitely be a tool in your overall decision.
beltax90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:59 PM   #58
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltax90 View Post
i just think its cool when he points out "quirks and features" and easter eggs and automotive innovations of cars i'll never sit in, especially minivans.

had no idea a lot of minivans now come with built in vacuum cleaners and loud speakers to speak to kids in back.

also would have never known about hyundais cool gauge cluster where the tach and speedo screens turn into the views from the cameras mounted on the side mirrors.

stuff like that keeps me interested in his videos. he's pretty good at pointing out what's trending in the industry

it took a while for me to appreciate his vids and yes he's kinda cheesy sometimes but you kind of have to be if you're really into little "quirks and features" of like every car as an enthusiast. plus on his second channel he's pretty good at explaining his reasoning for buying his own personal cars and it's pretty sound.

of course people shouldnt just rely on watching a video to make a purchase, but it can definitely be a tool in your overall decision.
I see what you mean with quirks and features... just as a car journalists, he's a ****. Here's an example. He went to Supra event. Yes, he didn't get a VIP invite by Toyota, so prob he bought the ticket & hotel out of his pocket. In the morning journalists get quick presentation and afterward drive the Supra from the hotel to the track. Fucking 8am in the morning (maybe it was 9), he was near yelling at the Toyota staff that he "needs" Supra by himself and don't need other journalist to drive with him, because he came to this event by himself. Toyota staff planned to have all car journalists to have equal amount of time w the Supra. FYI Staff gave EVERY journalists a time to track, drive (on the street) and have an one-on-one with it without any hesitation. Hell, I went on extra track lap to test few assist features for the hell of it. Of course, if you want specific color Supra to use for the review, that's a different story (cuz they only had 1 color each). I could keep going, but prob not a good idea. lol

*disclaimer* I was in the same boat as him for the Supra event, cuz I didn't get Toyota VIP invite and they told me to I need to fly in and stay out of my pocket. Which I was willing to do. But thankfully there was a spot opened up plus Tada-san request, I got the VIP invite.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:35 PM   #59
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Not saying this doesn't suck on the part of GM, but I guess you are saying you think this tactic is a GM only one? At one point or another every manufacturer has faced similar issues and not owned up to them.

Let's take one I have experience with the 2003 Honda Accord. Not only are the transmissions known to slip and basically lose 2nd gear (so much so that Honda faced a lawsuit and extended the warranty but most problems didn't occur until AFTER the mileage in the extended warranty). The problem is bad enough the transmission cannot be repaired, it has to be replaced. They also have self-peeling clear coat on them that starts coming off usually about the time the car hits just above the paint warranty. The only remedy is a full repaint.

You've made some accurate statements, but they aren't enough and I'm still not swayed.

At least Honda had the decency to extend their warranty voluntarily on those and a few of their other transmissions, as well as some of their turbo-charged, direct-injected engines.

You still haven't convinced me otherwise to NOT buy anything else from this version of GM.

I remember the melting dashes on the second generation Toyota Solaras that Toyota, via a TSB, would replace through an extended warranty claim program. That was a very expensive repair for Toyota, but true to their words, they took care of their customers.

GM blaming the failure of their 8-speed transmissions and the cracking of their C8 Corvette rims on "design flaws" and not "defects in material and workmanship" in order to cop out on the manufacturers' warranty, instead of owning up to the problem and taking care of their customers is simply despicable.

Instead of admitting the fact that they simply built and sold junk (as some of their most expensive vehicles, mind you) and then attempted to cover it up and blame THEIR OWN DESIGNERS while fooling their customers with legal language should prove to anyone that this company doesn't deserve to do business here.

This isn't even the same company as it was prior to the bankruptcy and bail-out THAT WE ALL HERE IN THE US PAID FOR.

So in my mind, if a company builds junk, sells junk, and their warrantys are junk, then that company deserves to fail. I would rather purchase any of Toyota's lowest-quality 20 year-old used vehicles before I ever purchased one of GM's newest, and highest-quality vehicles. Period.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:47 AM   #60
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
You've made some accurate statements, but they aren't enough and I'm still not swayed.
Didn't expect to sway you, I fully understand your decision points on this, and that is your right. Just wanting to say it isn't unique to GM.

Ironically, I've had both a GM product and a Honda product get a full paint job under warranty, and I was the second owner.

Quote:
At least Honda had the decency to extend their warranty voluntarily on those and a few of their other transmissions, as well as some of their turbo-charged, direct-injected engines.
True, but in the case of the transmissions, it was to avoid a loss in court. It was an out of court settlement to make it go away, and there were still a lot of owners (including me) left holding a $2400 bag because we were just outside that extension.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 01-21-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:55 AM   #61
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Didn't expect to sway you, I fully understand your decision points on this, and that is your right. Just wanting to say it isn't unique to GM.

Ironically, I've had both a GM product and a Honda product get a full pain job under warranty, and I was the second owner.

True, but in the case of the transmissions, it was to avoid a loss in court. It was an out of court settlement to make it go away, and there were still a lot of owners (including me) left holding a $2400 bag because we were just outside that extension.

The only way to get back at companies that do things like that to you is to no longer purchase their products, and inform others of your decision and explain to them why you made that decision. The louder you are about it, the better.

Sorry for thread-jacking on this rant, but to at least partially make up for it, here's my opinion on the Toyota Mirai:

Eh.....it's got four doors, I'm not interested. Throughout my life, I've only ever owned 2-door vehicles.
1) '72 Ford Courier
2) '78 Honda Civic 2-door Hatchback
3) '90 Mazda B2200 Regular Cab
4) '90 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe
5) '68 Ford Torino GT
6) '99 Toyota Solara SE 5-speed manual
7) '00 Toyota Solara SLE V6 automatic
8) '00 Toyota Solara SE V6 5-speed manual
9) '02 Toyota Solara SE I4 automatic (parts car)
10) '15 Scion FR-S manual 6

Hah, I just got to thinking that I'm bolting on more power to my FR-S than my Civic or Courier originally came with from their respective factories.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-21-2021), p1l0t (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 10:45 AM   #62
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
The only way to get back at companies that do things like that to you is to no longer purchase their products, and inform others of your decision and explain to them why you made that decision.
Well, the 2003 Accord is the last Honda I'll probably ever purchase, but it has more to do with the current crop than the problems I had with the '03. There's something "wrong" with Honda interiors I can't quite put my finger on but I haven't sat in one in 10 years where I felt comfortable. The seats are like rocks, and the ergomonics don't fit me.

As far as the Mirai, the 4-door doesn't bother me, I've owned plenty of 4-doors. The inability to fuel is a problem. The closest Hydrogen station to me is 868 miles away in Wallingford, CT.

Last edited by Dadhawk; 01-22-2021 at 07:31 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
beltax90 (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 08:16 PM   #63
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well, the 2003 Accord is the last Honda I'll probable ever purchase, but it has more to do with the current crop than the problems I had with the '03. There's something "wrong" with Honda interiors I can't quite put my finger on but I haven't sat in one in 10 years where I felt comfortable. The seats are like rocks, and the ergomonics don't fit me.

As far as the Mirai, the 4-door doesn't bother me, I've owned plenty of 4-doors. The inability to fuel is a problem. The closest Hydrogen station to me is 868 miles away in Wallingford, CT.
Because they make them for the children.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-21-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 05:41 PM   #64
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:51 PM   #65
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I like Doug DeMuro's way of reviewing cars. I agree it's interesting how he presents the various quirks of different cars, since that's really what many people want to know. I might never drive a Bugatti, but knowing the idiosyncrasies is as much experience with it as I can get otherwise on a video. Just my .02
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:26 PM   #66
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
The 2021 Toyota Mirai is insanely cheap after tax rebates and $20,000 incentive

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/03/10/...ai-incentives/

Quote:
It effectively starts at $17,995. You even get 0% financing and free hydrogen

This gets even harder to say no to when you remember that Toyota is offering every Mirai buyer or lessee a $15,000 fuel credit. Buyers will have six years to redeem the card, while lessees will have three. All owners will also get 21 days of free car rentals should they need to go further than the Mirai allows (357-mile range with the Limited trim and 402 miles with an XLE).

This is starting to get ridiculous, but CarsDirect also reports that Toyota is offering zero-interest financing for up to 72 months. The cost of ownership for this brand new and extremely nice hydrogen car is dizzyingly cheap right now. Using the “it’s a steal” cliche is too applicable in this the situation to forego saying it.

If you live in the Bay Area or Southern California, want to dive into the zero-emissions lifestyle and are relatively near a hydrogen station, consider the Mirai. This deal will supposedly expire at the end of March, and while it’s likely that Mirais will continue to be slow-sellers, we can’t say what the next few months of incentives will hold. You can read about what we think of the redesigned and stylish Mirai in our first drive review here.
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 07:49 AM   #67
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
Nice deal if you can take advantage. That is very similar to what Nissan did with the original Leaf.

In Georgia at the time, between Federal and State Tax credits and Nissan deals on leases, you could basically lease a Nissan Leaf for 2 years for a net $0 cost. At that time, it also came with free public charging.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
gymratter (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 09:44 AM   #68
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
pretty sweet deal for a car that looks like it would cost around 50k.

Just make sure your in a hydrogen equipped area otherwise its kind of pointless.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 03:04 PM   #69
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
https://toyota.pressroom.com.au/pres...navSectionID=2

Quote:
TOYOTA UNVEILS VICTORIA'S FIRST HYDROGEN PRODUCTION AND RE-FUELLING FACILITY AT CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE

**Solar-powered hydrogen production facility will produce up to 80kg of hydrogen per day**
**Commercial-grade refuelling outlet for commercial and passenger fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs)**
**Toyota Hydrogen Centre comprises education centre, hydrogen production, storage and refuelling, and Mirai servicing facilities**

Toyota has commissioned Victoria's first commercial-grade permanent hydrogen production, storage and refuelling facility at its former manufacturing site at Altona in Melbourne's west.

Toyota Australia President and CEO Matthew Callachor said the Toyota Hydrogen Centre was built to showcase the benefits of hydrogen fuel cell technology as part of its commitment to developing sustainable technologies for future mobility and energy needs.

"Globally, Toyota is committed to achieving zero CO2 emissions from its vehicles and plants under the Toyota Environmental Challenge 2050 and the commissioning of our hydrogen refuelling facility here today is an important step towards achieving that goal," Mr Callachor said.

"By demonstrating the viability of renewably-produced hydrogen as an automotive and energy fuel through this project, Toyota and its partners in government and business are pioneering a cleaner, more sustainable future that will encourage the further acceptance of this technology.

"We would like to thank our government partners for their assistance in bringing this project to fruition and those progressive forward-thinking business partners who will lease the 20 Mirai sedans we have brought into Australia to prove that hydrogen and fuel cell vehicles can, and will, play an important role in helping to move us towards a more sustainable and greener future," Mr Callachor said.

Dr Patrick Hartley, CSIRO Hydrogen Industry Mission attended the opening and said: "The infrastructure which is being commissioned at this new Toyota facility will not only progress the deployment of hydrogen vehicles, which can make a major contribution to helping our transport sector navigate Australia's energy transition, but it will also serve as a beacon to other companies looking to invest in hydrogen transport technology."

Sustainably produced hydrogen is the core element to fuel vehicles like the Toyota Mirai FCEV, an advanced fuel cell electric vehicle that produces no CO2 emissions, requires no battery recharging and has a range of 650km1.

The Toyota Mirai has been sold in markets in Japan and US for the past seven years but the greatest challenge to the broad-scale introduction of fuel cell electric vehicles in Australia has been a lack of refuelling infrastructure and the Toyota Hydrogen Centre is an important step in addressing this challenge.

Together with the hydrogen production, storage and refuelling facility, the Toyota Hydrogen Centre also incorporates an Education Centre to provide information on how hydrogen fuel cells work and the benefits to society, helping to dispel any myths around the safety and use of hydrogen as a fuel.

Hydrogen is produced on site by a 200kW electrolyser that uses electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen components and has the capacity to produce up to 80kg of hydrogen per day.

Power for the electrolyser is drawn from a combination of an 87kW solar array, a 100kW battery storage and mains grid depending on what's available at the time.

The hydrogen is then stored in a bank of storage tubes at medium and high pressure to be able to refuel both the fuel-cell forklifts that Toyota uses in other parts of the Altona complex and hydrogen FCEVs, like the new Mirai FCEV.
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote