follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #15
2superblus

Drives: 13 BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Nope, I don't understand your points.

Protect the battery from heat? How does it do that? The box is reducing air flow around the battery so maybe the battery is more prone to heat soak.

Protect from what physical damage? I'm suggesting something has gone horribly wrong for a battery to be physically damaged.

How does this box offer cheap insurance to one's car? Sure, if one doesn't mount a battery properly you can be in a world of trouble but one can't help stupidity.

This box offers no adjustment for the amount of clamping applied to the battery.
I am guessing there is a barrier to understanding concepts of lithium batteries and how they function. They work great at standard temps but don't like it really hot and don't like being really cold kind of like People.

This MeLe mount is a universal battery mount that can be fitted in any car. I just happened to use it in My BRZ.

The facts of the battery mounts design are that it is metal and has foam insulation that allows the battery to be protected from physical shock and heat damage from the engine (that could trigger the internal safety features of the battery). The fact that you do not need to clamp the battery down is another excellent bonus point to this mount as it prevents battery case damage from over clamping, as the battery only weighs 5.75 lbs aka 2.6kg.

My car has not yet built enough heat under the hood to trigger the thermal protection but if I go turbo I am sure that will change. I have also previously had a standard bar mount tiedown which deformed the previous lightweight batteries case.

With that said, some folks choose to build their car properly using quality products. I guess I fall into that category.

I just wanted to share the mount with the portion of the community that values function over form.
2superblus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:55 PM   #16
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2superblus View Post
Just wanted to make you all aware that MeLe Design released a killer new lightweight battery box/ mount that offers physical protection and heat soak protection for Antigravity batteries.

Installation was easy. It was simply removing the stock battery and tray.
Install a couple rivnuts into the holes used by the factory tray and bolt it in place. They are currently offering them for the Antigravity ATX20 and ATX30 battery sizes which are offered in the Restart or HD models
(Heavy Duty = non Restart with a 10.8 low voltage cutoff for full blown race use).

I have been running Antigravity Batteries since 2014 without issue. I upgraded due to the restart feature being offered to the ATX30RS in March of 2018 and have been running it trouble free since. my battery has never seen a charging system other than my car.

Thanks for sharing, which mount fits for our car and the AG-ATX20-RS? I only see WRX STI application on their website.

MeLe ATX20 Rally Spec Battery Mount?
https://meledesignfirm.com/collectio...31901953523830
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote