follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #15
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
And yet my '91 MR2 turbo makes more power and is lighter than my BRZ. Oh guess what? Out handles it too.

Brz still doesn't stand a chance.
Exactly, lighter with more power is way better than heavier with more power.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:51 AM   #16
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,631 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I have seen someone doing pretty well on a time attack type course (small course at CTMP) driving a Q60S. He told me it was vital to adjust (considerably reduce) tire pressure after a warmup, and it really made a difference on that car. I have also seen a stock 2005ish Mustang GT (except tires) do quite well but really leaned alot in the turns.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:32 AM   #17
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Not to jack your thread, but I am in a similar boat and don't want to make a new thread so ill just post here. I had a fully modded FI 86 and now have a Q50 AWD Premium.

They are almost polar opposites in the "sport car world"

86 is lightweight, nimble, focused on handling and driving experience. It is a pure enthusiasts car lacking all of the amenities and luxuries you might find in even a economy sedan. My red 86 had some aero/cosmetic mods (CF hood, front lip, side skirts, rear diffuser, spoiler, TRD fender, fins etc...) and she was a neck breaker (to some this is good to some maybe not) I constantly had people compliment me on, or ask me about my car. Children would chase after me when I drove by, wives would divorce their husbands, husbands would go out and buy one to get their wives back. It was a beautiful car. It didn't look "nice or luxurious" but stunningly beautiful how a sports car should look.

Now to the bad part many people myself included couldn't really get past. The power, or lack of. When I first got it it was the fastest car I ever owned, so I thought it was kind of quick. Got struck by the mod bug and went full blown NA build, but was never satisfied always thought I just need a little more and ill be happy. After doing a full NA build I realized I wouldn't be happy with just a little more, but maybe FI was the answer. Still wasn't enough, maybe smaller pulleys, maybe WMI, maybe E85, maybe weight reduction etc... it was never enough. Realized I would never be happy with the power until I doubled the gains I already had. 400+whp was the answer. Started saving for a built block and bigger blower, then totaled my car.... end of story. Ill never know if 400whp was the answer.

Decided this time around to be a bit more practical since I have 2 little kids, rear seats would be nice. My "dream affordable car" was always a G37x almost got one instead of the 86 but ended up with the 86 (long story) once I totaled my car I decided I would get the car I really wanted from the start. However the G37 being a little bit dated now and nothing on the market that fit my search criteria's, I stumbled across the Q50 (The new G37). Picked up a low mileage 2017 AWD Q50 Premium +premium package.

The Q50 is almost exact opposite of the 86, has all the luxuries, bells and whistles. It is AWD vs RWD, sedan vs coupe, heavyweight vs lightweight, all the power vs no power, makes a ton of low/mid range power and doesnt rev out vs making no low/mid power and needing to /able to rev out.

The AWD system is full time RWD until it detects wheel slip and then (supposedly) in 1/100th of a second can shift up to 50% of the power to the front wheels. So it drives like RWD until grip is needed.

The Q50 (non RS) in stock form is slightly slower than my fully modded 86, 0-60 in 5sec 1/4 mile in 13.6sec. However with just one 400$ mod (JB4) makes it as fast as a RS about (4.5 0-60, 13.0 1/4) and as fast as my 86 was, with a much bigger initial "punch"

The small TTs being "built/integrated" into the engine and using water to air cooling have almost zero turbo lag, almost instant throttle response.

The aftermarket isn't as big as the 86 platform, but it still has a very large aftermarket. On stock engine, trans, and turbos. People are making with FBO+E85+19psi about 500whp/530ft lbs, and doing 0-60 sub 3.5 and 1/4 mile very low 11s some even high 10s with a tire. Stock turbos can do 21-22psi and make 520whp/550ft lbs but it's a lot of stress on the turbos and well out of the turbos efficiency range.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:08 AM   #18
James H

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallen View Post
I briefly looked at these. Very cool for what they are, but not what I was looking for. Its more of a luxury sedan that goes fast, which is great if that's what you want. I was after light, nimble and low, raw, old school sports car.
The More and more horsepower plus heavier and heavier formula is getting old. It's the car manufacturers getting lazy and brainwashing consumers into thinking lower 0-60 and higher bhp is better. Instead of enjoying the art of driving, they got car enthusiast comparing miliseconds in 0-60 time as if its the length of their manhood! It takes effort and it's an art to build an agile, nimble fun car. Anyone can just dial up the boost or throw in a bigger engine to make a car go fast.
And most of time you are not even touching 10% of the bhp because the computer cuts back the power behind the scene. If you doubt this, took an old 80s rwd car with zero computer nanny and 100bhp and drive it like a maniac and see how quicker you will spin out.
For me, I don't even drool over the newer Ferrari after the F355. Would take a 308 over a 458 anyday. Enjoy the car. It doesn't matter if your car is slower to 60 by 0.0000001 second compared to your neighbors.
James H is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to James H For This Useful Post:
pallen (11-21-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 09:52 PM   #19
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Light weight and lower center of gravity provide a great feel to the car. My 04 WRX has many suspension upgrades and it turns on rails, but I have a bike rack on top for mountain biking. I know for sure that I can take the same turn faster in my WRX, but I have to be honest, that same turn feels better in my BRZ. Three things help that, BRZ steering is way better, lower weight and lower center of gravity.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote