follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 10-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #1
Hades

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Challenger Scat Pack T/A

I had the chance to rent a new Challenger Scat Pack T/A (time attack edition) recently, and thought it might be useful to post my thoughts along with some comparisons to my FRS. Obviously very different cars, and I doubt anybody would be cross-shopping them, but still might be useful to know for some who are looking for something with more horsepower and/or comfort.

Power: Obviously, the 392 is *way* faster than the FRS. I thought it would be fast, but I didn't think it would feel this fast. 100mph is easily attainable if you are not careful. It also hides speed well, which can be a boon and a downside - 100mph+ feels like 75-80mph in my FRS. Overall, I'm surprised I didn't get any tickets, but I'm sure if I owned the car I would have to budget for the extra speeding tickets (as well as the gas & tire money).

Driving Dynamics: I was honestly quite surprised at how well the challenger handled. I'm not sure if it is the T/A package, but it grips in the corners quite well. I could take corners at higher speeds than my FRS without any tire squeal, however the weight is no joke. I could feel the heavy weight of the car when pushing it in the corners, and it made the car push wide where the FRS could just keep turning in. The one thing I was also surprised with was the steering feel - nobody talks about how good the steering feel in these cars are. No, nothing like the FRS/86 of course, but still quite good for what it is. All in all, great handling car, but not fun in the canyons/twisties like my FRS is.

Transmission: It had the 8 speed AT transmission. This transmission was very very good. It downshifted extremely quick and the upshifts had a wonderful sound to them. I think it definitely made the car drive even faster than it otherwise would be. The other nice thing about the AT is it was very *smooth* - my wife hates fast cars, but she could actually stand this car when I smoothly put my foot down (from ~25% throttle smoothly to full throttle) and the car would smoothly downshift a gear or two at a time without any jerkiness... she even fell asleep a couple times LOL. The one thing that I didn't like compared to a manual is that it was hard to downshift it on demand - 8 speeds probably didn't help here. You can hold the left (or right) paddle to skip to the lowest/highest gear, but it takes quite some time for the transmission to react and if you see black and white ahead it might not be fast enough .

Comfort: The car was extremely well behaved on the road, and soaked up bumps quite well. It was still sporty, and you could feel & hear bad roads, but it was very tolerable. The seats were also very nice & all leather. It had XM radio, heated & cooled seats (major selling point for the wife), and heated steering wheel.

Economy: Obviously, the car is quite expensive and gas, tires, & the aforementioned run-ins with the law make it even more expensive. On looking through the available screens I had a brief glance of ~13.1 overall mpg. I think I spent at least $200 on gas. But it was worth it IMO .

Overall: Great long distance cruiser or freeway commuter. Would I trade my FRS for one? No, I wouldn't, unless I lived somewhere with only straight roads and no (twisty) racetracks. However, adding one to the garage is definitely in the cards and I've been looking for prices on them since. Compared to the last gen mustang & camaro, this is a much better car. I haven't driven the new gen pony cars, but I'd think they would definitely be worth a look as well if you're in the market for a similar car. I'd also look at the BMW M cars, which might be my next rental choice.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hades For This Useful Post:
7 skulls (11-12-2020), bcj (10-10-2020), Spuds (10-07-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 01:23 AM   #2
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
I had the chance to rent a new Challenger Scat Pack

Power: Obviously, the 392 is *way* faster than the FRS. I thought it would be fast, but I didn't think it would feel this fast. 100mph is easily attainable if you are not careful. It also hides speed well, which can be a boon and a downside
Thanks for the thoughts!

That's something my dad always says "cars these days make speed seem slow" it's no wonder Jay Leno (he might have said that too), a true car enthusiasts and not someone who just wears supercars like watches, is in love with all these old old machines that make 30mph seem like certain death.
Hades (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 01:29 AM   #3
Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
Thanks for the thoughts!

That's something my dad always says "cars these days make speed seem slow" it's no wonder Jay Leno (he might have said that too), a true car enthusiasts and not someone who just wears supercars like watches, is in love with all these old old machines that make 30mph seem like certain death.

Yup. 60mph in my FRS feels like at least 100mph in the scat pack. Kinda helped me appreciate what I had and all that. One thing I really learned about this experience was to just enjoy going slow in my FRS when around other cars, and build up that gap to enjoy.

At the same time though, the v8 power is *really* nice when you just want to get around some slowpoke on the freeway and not worry about them trying to close a gap or do something stupid. Also, people get the f*ck out of your way when you are hauling @$$.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:43 AM   #4
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I've driven some of these muscle cars before, and its like, ok cool, I just went really fast on the highway there for a second. But that's kind of what you have to do to make it fun. And I'm not about speeding on roads where I could interfere with other peoples lives.

But you do get a feeling like your balls are huge, and everyone likes u bc ur the hometown hero in the american muscle car. Which is hard to describe but it's there. I've only owned japanese 4 bangers, and I feel like everyone looks down on me for that. Not that I really care. If I won the lottery I'd be driving an old nsx or a fc rx7.

But I get what ur saying, its childish, but you do get the feeling of: oh yeah I just passed the f*** out of that guy on the highway". I mean it lame reading that, but when you let a v8 rip... idk I guess that's what makes us petrol heads. Muscle cars just capture that primal dominance better than anything else, until they hit a crowd.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:07 AM   #5
Hades

Quote:
I've driven some of these muscle cars before, and its like, ok cool, I just went really fast on the highway there for a second. But that's kind of what you have to do to make it fun. And I'm not about speeding on roads where I could interfere with other peoples lives.

But you do get a feeling like your balls are huge, and everyone likes u bc ur the hometown hero in the american muscle car. Which is hard to describe but it's there. I've only owned japanese 4 bangers, and I feel like everyone looks down on me for that. Not that I really care. If I won the lottery I'd be driving an old nsx or a fc rx7.

But I get what ur saying, its childish, but you do get the feeling of: oh yeah I just passed the f*** out of that guy on the highway". I mean it lame reading that, but when you let a v8 rip... idk I guess that's what makes us petrol heads. Muscle cars just capture that primal dominance better than anything else, until they hit a crowd.

For me, I think it was more than just an ego trip. Sometimes I just wanna get around people and get to my destination as fast as reasonably possible. I feel like that's where these fast GT cars make sense.

But yea, I definitely hear you on the whole "primal rage" aspect. That is what the v8 cars harness the best. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #6
Bluefire98

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Liked your thoughts on the handling. They do handle deceivingly well for their size, with pretty nice steering feel. Honestly people love hating on electric power steering, but honestly it feels tighter most of the time. And like hydraulic, if it's done poorly, it sucks. There are plenty of numb, slow, and vague hydraulic racks.

Also the scat pack for me is the sweet spot in the chally line up. Don't have the cost and insanity of the hellcat, but you have plenty of power and a nice na motor that's just better all around compared to the basic 5.7l.
Bluefire98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluefire98 For This Useful Post:
Hades (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 11:51 PM   #7
Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefire98 View Post
Liked your thoughts on the handling. They do handle deceivingly well for their size, with pretty nice steering feel. Honestly people love hating on electric power steering, but honestly it feels tighter most of the time. And like hydraulic, if it's done poorly, it sucks. There are plenty of numb, slow, and vague hydraulic racks.

Also the scat pack for me is the sweet spot in the chally line up. Don't have the cost and insanity of the hellcat, but you have plenty of power and a nice na motor that's just better all around compared to the basic 5.7l.

Yea, I get why everybody dogs on them but they do actually handle pretty well. You just have to understand the limitations - its a very heavy car and doesn't exactly respond well in transitions. But the grip is there.

I did hear the Hellcats at least have hydraulic steering. Makes me want to try one to see how it is. I do agree though - I can't imagine wanting more power than the scat pack and feel like it would just lead to (more) dangerous & reckless behavior. I suppose it would make a difference for a drag/street racer.

I might just be convincing myself not to drive one, though, I'm sure it is loads of fun
The Following User Says Thank You to Hades For This Useful Post:
Bluefire98 (10-10-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 11:54 PM   #8
Hades

Also, I've heard tons of bad stories about rust issues with this car. Apparently the car has a tendency to rust from the *inside out* in the rear wheel wells. Kinda turned me off the car, but I guess it would work if you don't drive in the winter or are extremely meticulous with cleaning (which I am not)...
Old 10-14-2020, 04:06 PM   #9
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,788 Times in 3,293 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
I was behind the latest gen Charger (same car as the Challenger) on some twisties that were challenging. The road was narrow, the turns were 15-35 for typical/normal driving, and there was a lot of elevation changes. The Charger had the latest gen rear bumper. I really don't recall if it had a badge, so it could have been the V6, but sounded like the V8 and had a large, stock-looking exhaust, yet I wouldn't be surprised if it was the 5.7 V8 or the V6 GT based on how easy it was to effortlessly reel in the car. When a passing lane opened up, the Charger gunned it around a slower driver and so did I.

I expected to lose him in the turns and possibly in the straights, but I was immediately surprised and impressed by how well he was moving in the turns considering the size. This isn't to say I wasn't capable of going faster in the turns, but he was still moving pretty well and holding speed well without looking too sloppy or doing things like going into the other lane. I have a bar of boost on E85, so my car is far from stock on power, so I was letting him feel my presence in the straights, as equally as I was in the turns. The car seemed decently planted and responsive. Eventually, he seemed to push the car to more of its limits, as there was more roll, and there was the snake-like yaw that comes with a long wheelbase, full-sized sedan, but at that point, I would have assumed the car would have lost control of their composure like failing a moose test, yet it hadn't, but clearly it had reached its limit.

In general, I've notice that a competent driver on a familiar road can do well when pushing the car close to the limits of the conditions. I have been behind V6 Accords/Camrys, large sedans or whatever before who were driving like a mad man beyond what any reasonable enthusiast would consider doing in such cars, and I have been impressed with how well the cars and their drivers manage the poor, country twisties when I am behind them with clearly a more powerful, lighter and likely better handling car (likely because my suspension could be more ideal for better road conditions, and not better in all dry road conditions). It is clear that if someone knows the roads and are willing to push their car close to its limits more than others that the car can be driven fast. There might even be a case for why a heavy, supple sedan might fair well when road conditions are poor with pot holes, uneven asphalt, loose rocks on the road and such things. In track conditions, or rather, as road conditions begin to approximate track conditions, the story drastically changes. That, and many cars can be composed up to 6/10ths, 7/10ths or 8/10ths, but precipitously fall off when pushed further.
Hades (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 04:46 PM   #10
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,084 Times in 2,041 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post

In general, I've notice that a competent driver on a familiar road can do well when pushing the car close to the limits of the conditions. I have been behind V6 Accords/Camrys, large sedans or whatever
Something I want be absolutely sure to bring up- newer cars are proactively reducing body roll, and are coming on lower profile tires more and more.
Part of this is that their gauge of the car's limit is being obscured by this false sense of security.

Kind of like going into a fight drunk, you're not any tougher, you can just stand longer because you can't feel the signs of failure before they happen.
I was astounded by the handling feel of the new Corolla wagon. It gave very little feedback as I took my valve spring recall frustration put on the poor rental. I realized that I had actually approached a paper thin margin dangerously, noticing I was doing 80 around a bend that in the FRS would've hairy at that speed. The car wasn't telling me that it would've probably let go soon.

I think more drivers are being egged on by newer cars that are being built more like this- they aren't getting that feedback and making them feel invincible.
Just my opinion
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
anticubus (10-14-2020), Dzmitry (10-15-2020), Hades (10-14-2020), Irace86.2.0 (10-14-2020), Spuds (10-16-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 03:51 PM   #11
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,788 Times in 3,293 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post

Power: Obviously, the 392 is *way* faster than the FRS. I thought it would be fast, but I didn't think it would feel this fast. 100mph is easily attainable if you are not careful. It also hides speed well, which can be a boon and a downside - 100mph+ feels like 75-80mph in my FRS. Overall, I'm surprised I didn't get any tickets, but I'm sure if I owned the car I would have to budget for the extra speeding tickets (as well as the gas & tire money).
Just for the sake of comparison, if we were to compare weight and hp/tq:

I get 4,230lbs for the Scat Pack Challenger with 485hp/475tq. This is 8.7lbs/hp and 8.9lbs/tq.

If we had an 86 at 3,000lbs with the addition of forced induction then we would need 344hp and 337tq, which is around 292whp and 286wtq, assuming a 15% drive train loss. This is about equivalent to 10-17psi on E85, depending on the type of FI. Most people making that much torque are also putting down closer to 350whp.

Considering this is close to the power-to-weight of my car, it would be cool to compare the two.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #12
mrhemi

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts!

Try driving a 1969 Hemi Charger R/T, on bias ply tires, for perspective of this observation.

My other car is 2013 BRZ with Jackson Racing supercharger.
mrhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrhemi For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 02:20 PM   #13
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhemi View Post
Try driving a 1969 Hemi Charger R/T, on bias ply tires, for perspective of this observation.

My other car is 2013 BRZ with Jackson Racing supercharger.
For three years of my youth I drove a 70 Coronet R/T 440 Magnum six-pack on biased ply tires. Year round. In Canada (the snowy part).
I have since decided that I was nuts back then!